Author Topic: [IC] GMK 40K  (Read 10299 times)

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
[IC] GMK 40K
« on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 12:41:57 »
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war...

Base Kit:

192390-0

Colours:

Alpha Keycaps: N9 for Legends, T9 for Keycaps
Modifier Keycaps: T9 for Legends, N9 for Keycaps

Novelties:

MOQ:

Price:

Base Kit: Approx. 130GBP

Novelties: TBD

This is an interest check for a keycap set inspired by the Warhammer 40K Universe; GMK 40K.

Whilst the base kit only features two colours (based on the Warhammer 40K logo), I believe this set will be defined by its novelties. I have not included any novelty designs with the launch of this IC, as I am still deciding which would be best, and I would also like to open this up to the community. The novelties could feature an endless amount of designs, and so what does the community want to see them based on?  My initial thoughts were to focus on the Primarchs and their legions during the Horus Heresy, with novelties for the Xenos as well, but I am open for suggestions.

Is there any interest in GMK 40K? Leave your thoughts and feedback below. :)

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 16:30:44 by CAPS UNLOCKED »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: [IC] GMK 40K
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 13:05:31 »
I don't really know much about Warhammer 40K so I had to look it up, I think you should incorporate the greenish color somewhere.

Maybe even less T9 since there's not much present, if this is the logo you mentioned.

Maybe GMK DOOM V2 since it's black and white?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 13:08:02 »
This is the lowest effort interest check 2018

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 13:11:08 »
Seems like gmk heavy industry, Honeywell r2 (coming very soon) and Oblivion r2 (in development) kind of have this color scheme handled. However, I'm always interested in basic and classic looking sets.
keyboards.

Offline armin

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 13:27:49 »
ISO-DE addons and I'd be in. Icon mods would be cool, too.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 14:32:01 »
This is pretty much Honeywell without the red right?

Offline wongie

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 14:42:42 »
I agree that I think novelties will define this set as the base kit as shown is too similar to other kits as others have pointed out so without them it's pointless in trying to conclude anything from just these initial images. Alternatively if the novelties don't do it it might be worth looking into focusing on a more dedicated colourway that's maybe based off one of the more well known chapters.

That said, I'm totally down for the base kit as shown since I'm looking for a new set like Honeywell or Oblivion that could potentially be bought brand new rather than second hand  :))

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 14:46:58 »
I don't really understand what the set has to do with WH40K

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 15:01:46 »
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline MungFuSensei

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 15:23:35 »
Not a chance in hell GW lets you run this set. They are super protective of their IP.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 17:07:04 »
I don't really know much about Warhammer 40K so I had to look it up, I think you should incorporate the greenish color somewhere.

Maybe even less T9 since there's not much present, if this is the logo you mentioned.

Show Image

I can look into custom colours that would be more suitable.

This is the lowest effort interest check 2018

This is pretty much Honeywell without the red right?

I agree that I think novelties will define this set as the base kit as shown is too similar to other kits as others have pointed out so without them it's pointless in trying to conclude anything from just these initial images. Alternatively if the novelties don't do it it might be worth looking into focusing on a more dedicated colourway that's maybe based off one of the more well known chapters.

That said, I'm totally down for the base kit as shown since I'm looking for a new set like Honeywell or Oblivion that could potentially be bought brand new rather than second hand  :))

Perhaps I rushed into this IC too quickly, I was mostly curious about whether people would be interested in the idea/theme.

I understand the colours are similar to sets that have already been done, and I will look into another colour scheme. I was thinking about focusing on individual chapters and legions, and at first I wasn't sure about it, but perhaps that is better than developing a set that loses its identity by trying to include to much.  I am looking to spend time developing, and refining this set, and I appreciate your feedback.

For WH40K fans, which legions/chapters would you like to see the keycap set based on?

Offline truong3016

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 20:26:14 »
as a fan of 40K universe, this IC make me sad  :-[
should make Imperial Fist or Ultra marine color theme
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 March 2018, 20:28:17 by truong3016 »

Offline profanum429

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 20:37:42 »
I'd love to see a 40K themed set! I'd vote for Dark Angels myself :)

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 20:47:22 »
I don't really know anything about warhammer so forgive my ignorance but this just looks like Honeywell without red. I think some kind of color needs to happen...otherwise it just seems rather bland.

Offline HardcoreDesk

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 21:28:47 »
Typically, Interest Checks will have more info than just a screengrab from KLE.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 22:27:07 »
White and black isn't a set deserving of having any attachment to the Warhammer universe.
If there should be a 40k set, then why not choose one of the factions and use their colour palette?
An Ultramarine themed set would be much more interesting than this.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 22:42:18 »
1. It's Honeywell without the red accent.
2. When I think of Warhammer 40K, I think of the green Orcs and the red marines.

Offline zumu

• Professional Typist
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 22:46:25 »
I know everyone is hating on the low effort, but I personally think this color scheme is really classy. Definitely similar to to heavy industries, but that is a 60% only set, so I don't think it fully conflicts.

The Warhammer 40k connection is thin, and I can understand pursuing a more colorful set with closer ties to the Warhammer IP. However, I for one would still love to see this exact colorway with maybe a more generic theme.

Offline zumu

• Professional Typist
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 23:01:14 »
1. It's Honeywell without the red accent.

While I agree with your Warhammer point, Honeywell is 2b & 2m, while this is N9 & T9. I personally notice the difference, but can see how to some it might be too similar to get excited.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 01:20:59 »

Show Image

Well hello there, GMK Necro. ;)
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 06:02:09 »
I agree with adding abit green to it,, maybe change the space bar to green, or maybe the enter key can esc key

Offline Valaris

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 06:02:24 »
White and black isn't a set deserving of having any attachment to the Warhammer universe.
If there should be a 40k set, then why not choose one of the factions and use their colour palette?
An Ultramarine themed set would be much more interesting than this.

Ultramarine would be a nice color set plus good novelties potential.

Offline wongie

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 06:21:32 »
An Ultramarine colourway could end up being too similar to Nautilus but definitely likely to be the most popular option out of all the chapters. Blood Angels themed red could also work along with Dark Angels, Salamanders and Space Wolves being some alternatives that could offer a unique enough colourway. A more neutral grey with yellow/gold legends could also work as Grey Knights theme.

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 13:27:36 »
i wouldn't worry about the color way critiques...specially if they don't offer up anything constructive...any fool can criticize...that's a quote from aristotle or socratise...somebody like that...besides...led zep...combat...honeywell...utopia...wolf mark...if a color way is good...its good

the last one is just for the colorway not c's...but it's proly the best...don't know how much war it reps...but who cares...the white is cp and it makes a big difference that doesn't come thru on the render or pic...these are gmk standard colors though...these color rings are awesome...also the color is a gold n6 that leans more towards a brass color...def not yellow
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 13:38:40 by jimirolln »

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 13:47:38 »
the grey was for the sky but after looking at the war pic there is white on the suit...the blue and gold come from the suit...idk
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:05:41 by jimirolln »

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:13:31 »
Stuff said and WAY too many ellipsis

I like the idea that you're going with your color suggestions but they feel too disjointed. I don't think you should use the background sky as the predominant color on the keyboard because you are then making the whole kit based around one image, out of context, and not the WH40K universe, it won't translate.

I also think the creator needs to either decide if he wants a vague/general 40k set that represents the universe of 40k as a whole, in which case he needs a set that evokes the overarching themes of the universe, not one specific little part of it, or if he wants a set that is specific to one race/group/unit, in which case something closer to what you have laid out. But I agree with someone's above post that said he needs to refine this a lot more before asking people if they are interested, because right now there just isn't anything to be interested in. I don't think asking if people want a set based on a popular IP is enough for the IC community without a more developed set concept to work with.

I think you're on the right track with your renders, definitely better developed than what OP started with, but if you are going for Space Marines specifically, as an example, the majority color needs to be blue, since with the space marines, their tanks, their units, their banners, the primary color that takes up the most surface area is that blue color, the second most used color for them is gold, it's a huge accent color for them across the board and red and black share the spot as a tirtiary accent color.

I would offer something like making the Alphas Blue on Blue, Mods black with gold, red accent keys.. or something close to that would be a good direction to move toward with your renders, and read better for a Space Marines them. But the trick is going to be not stepping on the toes of already existing sets.

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:20:24 »
yeah i don't know...don't play games...haven't seen this one...would like to see cyber punk 2077 tho...i just saw people shakn salt and decided i had a couple a bags to dump out myself...i understand criticizing but dash a little something positive or it's just a bad look...i guess i could be basic like everyone else but this is how i like to type...get off my pecans

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:29:48 »
yeah i don't know...don't play games...haven't seen this one...would like to see cyber punk 2077 tho...i just saw people shakn salt and decided i had a couple a bags to dump out myself...i understand criticizing but dash a little something positive or it's just a bad look...i guess i could be basic like everyone else but this is how i like to type...get off my pecans

I believe it's important to know the source to get the color right, but like I said I think you were on to something, I definitely liked the direction you were going at least. Just needed a little more grounding in the source material.

Edit:
Maybe something closer to this, but I worry that this is too close to Danger Zone...

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:47:08 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:47:58 »
i don't know the source material...i don't play the game...this is not my ic...i just wanted to pop off at the people that feel like an ic should be done and one day from production before it is posted in the forum...if you are interested...nice give some positive vibe feedback...if not rest assured bad ic's don't need any help dying...viii represents 8...5 plus 1 plus 1 plus 1 because the placement of the ones after the five...subtraction works the same way with the placement before a representation...iv is 4...vi is 6...iiv is 3...vii is 7...iiiv is 2...viii 8...you are right iiiv doesn't exist...unless you can see in abstraction...you win...gg...even your sig is on my pecans

i don't hate it...but to be honest even in the one i did i don't like the blue alphas
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 14:51:44 by jimirolln »

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:05:32 »
I don't know the source material, I don't play the game. This is not my ic... I just wanted to pop off at the people that feel like an ic should be done one day from production before it is posted in the forum. If you are interested, nice, give some positive feedback. If not, rest assured, bad ics don't need any help dying.

I don't hate it, but to be honest even in the one I did, I don't like the blue alphas.

I think your heart is in the right place in trying to support people using IC threads, but I do think there needs to be a standard level of ground work done before you post in the IC thread, have a developed concept and build from there. I would almost go so far as to say that the IP you are referencing isn't important, because if people like the set you put together, they will be interested even if they don't know the IP, and people who know the IP will just be a bonus, because they will almost always be the smaller group. You don't need to be production ready, but I think you need a little bit more than one hyper generic black and white TLK colorway and an IP that you like. I think there is a good middle ground between what you are saying and 'people that feel like an ic should be done one day from production before it is posted in the forum', somewhere in the middle I think is a good place to start.

And yeah, I agree, blue alphas are a lot, and not my favorite, But I just grabbed Space Marines as an example to make a point about building a colorway from source material, and if you're going Space Marines, there aren't a lot of better ways to do it. That blue is THE key color. Maybe go Blood Marines, and have a Red primary color and build from there.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:18:38 »

MOQ: 150

If the price will not be $185 for a kit which is not extremely large (current minimum we see on gmk nowadays) and has basically 2 base colors, i would be in.
It would be cool to use my own accents  from other sets with these base colors, but that price seems a bit inflated to me and hopefully it's just a bad estimation.   
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:21:59 by KaosJ »

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:22:14 »

If the price with not be $185 for a kit which is not extremely large and has basically 2 base colors, i would be in. It would be cool to my own accents from other sets but that's price seems a bit inflated to me.

The base kit is slightly larger than the DOOM base kit, and that is why it is slightly more expensive than that. This is also the price for those in the EU, and will no doubt be less expensive via an international proxy.

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 15:26:51 »
While the base kit only features two colours (based on the Warhammer 40K logo)

The WH40K logo text is meant to be green with light highlights, are you going to be using any green? Or is this just going to be black and white?

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 16:30:06 »
What do you think about these colour schemes for the Ultramarines and Blood Angels?

192482-0

192484-1

The Blood Angels colour scheme has probably been explored in another set, and the placement of colours in the Ultramarines set is a bit different, but I am open to all feedback.

I think it is best to focus on one legion or chapter rather than have the base set match the colour of the logo.

Offline wongie

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 16:55:09 »
Now we're getting somewhere. Unfortunately come to think of it I think GMK Red Samurai might already have beaten you to the punch in terms of colourways that match the Blood Angels. Definitely digging the Ultramarine concept, not that many asymmetrical sets out there. Obviously it's just a concept but the exact shade of blue and yellow could use a little bit of tweaking; I think a slightly more orange-ish colour would work better as gold and a darker blue would fit better with the whole grimdark aspect. This is probably too fine a nitpick considering the early stage of the concepts though. Otherwise just needs a few litany or bolter outline novelties to plaster all over it and an enter novelty with the skull and wings to finish it off would look great but as someone else mentioned GW are really defensive of their IP so good luck with coming up with novelties that both tread the line of not being similar to 40K but still is reminiscent of 40K.

Offline Tree_

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 21:59:18 »
Not a chance in hell GW lets you run this set. They are super protective of their IP.

I think this is the most important comment in this thread: Games Workshop will sue you to the moon and back if there's even a whiff of you using their IP without permission.

This needs a name change.

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 22:04:53 »
That's a fair point, Games Workshop has a trademark on '40k'

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 04:55:55 »
i wouldn't worry about the color way critiques...specially if they don't offer up anything constructive...any fool can criticize...that's a quote from aristotle or socratise...somebody like that...besides...led zep...combat...honeywell...utopia...wolf mark...if a color way is good...its good

the last one is just for the colorway not c's...but it's proly the best...don't know how much war it reps...but who cares...the white is cp and it makes a big difference that doesn't come thru on the render or pic...these are gmk standard colors though...these color rings are awesome...also the color is a gold n6 that leans more towards a brass color...def not yellow

Pointing out that the proposed colorway is extremely similar to three other sets that are coming up for sale soon with 100% certainty isn't criticism.. it's a suggestion to switch things up to something that will allow the set to succeed.  GMK sets with unique colorways are failing to hit MOQ left and right so why would you want to decrease your chances by battling hugely popular sets like Honeywell?   
keyboards.

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 05:57:21 »
i won't presume to know about this or any other set...or their relations to others...but for me i like the flavor of new fonts...when i saw this ic and the war insignia i thought that font would set it off...i am not saying that the standard basic font on every set from now to back in the day is bad...just stale

i could care less about the cw and just want to point out that some ic's need to be allowed to fail...with dignity...if an op had to know a check was fire before asking...fear of failure would stunt shine in an unproductive way...lets be honest...a lot of people just want to put something out there for personal satisfaction of contributing...knowing the chance of success is tiny at best and profits to gain zed...these types of failures should be encouraged and dare i say celebrated...not shamed and ridiculed

op's are fam...so any idea no matter how garbage could be the spark that sets the next fire...so i will be dumpster diving this forum and celebrating creative op's and their ideas...com can criticize fam and thats fine...so fam should be able to critique criticism in an effort to hold it to a constructive and encouraging standard

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 06:13:25 »

If the price with not be $185 for a kit which is not extremely large and has basically 2 base colors, i would be in. It would be cool to my own accents from other sets but that's price seems a bit inflated to me.

The base kit is slightly larger than the DOOM base kit, and that is why it is slightly more expensive than that. This is also the price for those in the EU, and will no doubt be less expensive via an international proxy.

Not sure why you are comparing the set with another one that you are also running. 

Take into account that you want to run it directly (i assume) so there aren't 2 parts that needs a profit from it (e.g. when a set is made from someone in US and proxied by you in EU) but still your estimation is $185, which is higher than OCO or any other around (and please don't nominate VAT) 

I don't know man... It's kinda boring to me to judge your prices (e.g. the initial $400 of the CU lol) but at some point you should adapt to other GB prices. If you want a counter-proof, write your price in $ in the post instead of GBP, that's probably the reason no one said anything about it yet. 

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 March 2018, 06:15:19 by KaosJ »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 10:06:50 »
Perhaps I rushed into this IC too quickly, I was mostly curious about whether people would be interested in the idea/theme.

I understand the colours are similar to sets that have already been done, and I will look into another colour scheme. I was thinking about focusing on individual chapters and legions, and at first I wasn't sure about it, but perhaps that is better than developing a set that loses its identity by trying to include to much.  I am looking to spend time developing, and refining this set, and I appreciate your feedback.

For WH40K fans, which legions/chapters would you like to see the keycap set based on?

I think the smartest thing to do would be to make a set of the alphas, then child sets of the mods for different Chapters.  At least, that's the way I would do it.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 13:23:27 »

I think the smartest thing to do would be to make a set of the alphas, then child sets of the mods for different Chapters.  At least, that's the way I would do it.

I like that idea, but it'd probably be difficult for multiple Chapter mods kits to all meet MOQ. On the other hand, getting 40k fans here to agree on a single Chapter might prove difficult as well.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 13:35:28 »

I like that idea, but it'd probably be difficult for multiple Chapter mods kits to all meet MOQ. On the other hand, getting 40k fans here to agree on a single Chapter might prove difficult as well.

All of them don't have to be a part of this GB.  I'd like the Grey Knights (Steel Grey and Red), the Space Wolves (Blue and Grey) and the Black Templars (Black, White and Red).  As long as the Inquisition (IP police) don't get it in trouble, I think this could be an ongoing series of GBs.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 13:47:07 »

All of them don't have to be a part of this GB.  I'd like the Grey Knights (Steel Grey and Red), the Space Wolves (Blue and Grey) and the Black Templars (Black, White and Red).  As long as the Inquisition (IP police) don't get it in trouble, I think this could be an ongoing series of GBs.

Good point. If that's the route it goes, I hope we can stay under the Inquisition's radar even with successive GBs. I'd be in for Black Templars, but I'd personally like to see Blood Ravens and Dark Angels.