Author Topic: [IC] Galaxy Class: Star Trek TNG keyset/artisan by Roddenberry Entertainment  (Read 70410 times)

Offline FSund

Re: [IC] Galaxy Class: Star Trek TNG keyset/artisan by Roddenberry Entertainment
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 00:25:56 »
I would be hesitant to recommend a Corsair board, but couldn't find any better alternatives that fit the bill. It's a shame the CM Storm Quickfire boards seem to be discontinued.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
Re: [IC] Galaxy Class: Star Trek TNG keyset/artisan by Roddenberry Entertainment
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 01:16:52 »
The KUL ES-87 and KBParadise V80 (there is a non-backlit version) are both solid, no-frills boards too. I'm a fan of both. Although the latter is not found on Amazon, mechanicalkeyboards(dot)com stocks them.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 01:37:00 »
ducky boards are the most newbie friendly, but they are 108 key
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Atnevon

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 06:59:48 »
While I am not the expert at all at boards I could guess however you have 2 big audiences with mechanical keyboards: The Expert Typists and the Gamers.

Gamers are the LED RGB light run-and-gun and CS:GO-with-CS-Flow; and then the Expert Typists I notice are LED-less and want keyboards made from recycled Abrams Tank material :P

While I am a gamer I am looking for a board solely for these caps to satisfy my fandom and do so at the office. At home I have the Corsair Strife RGB MX Silent. (I personally don't like blue switches for the clakity)

From what I see the Cooler Master seems to be a good hybrid of the two. Its budget friendly for the gamers and typers alike. Hopefully.....idk, just shooting from the hip with my newb insight contributions.

Nonetheless, a good easy-to-read instructions on how these fit for first time cappers like myself would be SUPER helpful. I just know in my case I want a good budget board to cap these for the office keyboard (that I need to buy soon :) ) I know lots of people possibly with boards and never thought to recap them are huge Trek fans. I bet this is a product that will surely inspire those like myself to go for the plunge.

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 09:53:06 »
While I am not the expert at all at boards I could guess however you have 2 big audiences with mechanical keyboards: The Expert Typists and the Gamers.

I'd go with Professional typist over expert. . I'm terrible at typing, and I can't be the only engineer who is.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 11:03:10 »
Thanks for all the insights and suggestions everyone. After much vacillation and rumination, I think the best solution is just to recommended the WASD TKL and tenkey barebones keyboards, both because they're readily available (in all MX switches) and don't even require the buyer to remove keycaps.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 11:09:23 »
Nonetheless, a good easy-to-read instructions on how these fit for first time cappers like myself would be SUPER helpful. I just know in my case I want a good budget board to cap these for the office keyboard (that I need to buy soon :) ) I know lots of people possibly with boards and never thought to recap them are huge Trek fans. I bet this is a product that will surely inspire those like myself to go for the plunge.

All you need is a wire keycap puller to remove the keycaps already on the keyboard. WASD sells them (https://www.amazon.com/WASD-Keyboards-Wire-Keycap-Puller/dp/B00AZCGF7K), but they are pretty widely available. Installing the new caps is straightforward as well: line up the keycap stem with the cruciform slider of your switch and push down (it's difficult to mess up the orientation because you can see the legends on top of the keycaps).

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 11:59:03 »
what, no commemorative TNG themed keycap puller?!?!  :p

Offline FSund

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 02:21:44 »
Thanks for all the insights and suggestions everyone. After much vacillation and rumination, I think the best solution is just to recommended the WASD TKL and tenkey barebones keyboards, both because they're readily available (in all MX switches) and don't even require the buyer to remove keycaps.

I didn't even think of the WASD keyboards. That seems like a good solution.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline Dominathan

• Too many keyboards? Not enough hands.
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 09:51:47 »
what, no commemorative TNG themed keycap puller?!?!  :p

It could have been a phaser!

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 13:56:18 »
What format will the group buy take - open for a time period to all comers, limited quantity, raffle etc?

How long will it run for?

Cheers

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 14:08:06 »
What format will the group buy take - open for a time period to all comers, limited quantity, raffle etc?

Cheers

It will run the entire month of November, open to anyone who wants to participate, of course.

Below is what we're currently looking at in terms of pricing, btw. I tried my best to keep the prices as low as financially feasible, but all the fancy multi-layered packaging, official "Star Trek" licensing, jewelry-grade artisan, etc., makes this a sort of "premium" set in terms of cost—and ultimately the pricing decision wasn't mine to make. But I do think we're still within the realm of what I see on Originative and similar locations for some sets. This is the first "official" keyset that I know of featuring a major Hollywood franchise, so I think it's kind of special thing, and I hope you guys will be willing join me in supporting it. :)

Core $99
Core + Numpad $149
Core + Alternates $149
Core + Numpad + Alternates $199
Legacy Upgrade Kit $19
Bronze Artisan $48

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 14:31:51 by norbauer »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 14:29:10 »

Cheers

It will run the entire month of November, open to anyone who wants to participate, of course.

Below is what we're currently looking at in terms of pricing, btw. I tried my best to keep the prices as low as financially feasible, but all the fancy multi-layered packaging, official "Star Trek" licensing, jewelry-grade artisan, etc., makes this a sort of "premium" set in terms of cost—and ultimately the pricing decision wasn't mine to make. But I do think we're still within the realm of what I see on Originative and similar locations for some sets. This is the first "official" keyset that I know of featuring a major Hollywood franchise, so I think it's kind of special thing, and I hope you guys will be willing join me in supporting it. :)

Core $99
Core + Numpad $149
Core + Alternates $149
Legacy Upgrade Kit $19
Bronze Artisan $48

Did you post these sets earlier.  I'm not seeing them.  What is the Legacy Upgrade kit?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 14:31:28 »

Cheers

Core $99
Core + Numpad $149
Core + Alternates $149
Legacy Upgrade Kit $19
Bronze Artisan $48

Did you post these sets earlier.  I'm not seeing them.  What is the Legacy Upgrade kit?

I just updated the post above with images.

The Legacy Upgrade kit is just the purple Trek logo keys.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 14:39:45 »
This is looking great! The pricing is understandable as well. There are Trek logo keys on the top right in the "Core Keyset" image, are those the Legacy Upgrade Kit you mentioned or no?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 14:43:37 »
This is looking great! The pricing is understandable as well. There are Trek logo keys on the top right in the "Core Keyset" image, are those the Legacy Upgrade Kit you mentioned or no?

Thanks! And, yes, it's just the three 1u purple keys that have the Trek logos, for folks who have earlier generic (non-Trek) versions of the keyset.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 14:56:07 »
Ah, I see.  Very cool.  Didn't realize we were getting a logo!  Nice one.  These are going on my warm gray norbaur case for sure!!

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 15:02:44 »
norbauer, out of curiosity who will be handing fulfillment? if its Roddenberry Ent. I sure hope they are ready!
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 15:41:56 by redbanshee »

Offline Nuum

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 16:17:34 »
Do you plan to offer international kits as well? I love this set since I first saw it, but I need my ISO DE keycaps!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 16:45:25 »
Do you plan to offer international kits as well? I love this set since I first saw it, but I need my ISO DE keycaps!

The core set comes with ISO keys! :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 16:46:12 »
norbauer, out of curiosity who will be handing fulfillment? if its Roddenberry Ent. I sure hope they are ready!

Roddenberry Entertainment will be handling fulfillment, just like any normal item ordered through their store. All the sets will go from Signature Plastics to the Roddenberry warehouse in LA before being shipped to GB participants.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 17:01:46 »
Really cool set, I wish it was in a cylindrical sculpt rather than DSA, but a few people I work with have been drooling over the original run and are psyched for this!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Nuum

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 07:52:38 »

So, no real international kit with all the different alpha keys?  :-[

Offline norbauer

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 10:53:15 »

So, no real international kit with all the different alpha keys?  :-[

The ISO kit was something developed a long time ago in collaboration with a GeekHack member in Germany (LechnerDE), as my experience with non-ANSI keyboard layouts is limited. As I recall, he mentioned at the time that it wasn't necessarily a comprehensive solution but that it would be a good way to cover the maximum number of people with the minimum numbers of additional keys.

Particularly for this set, since we have to use a single gift box to fit all the different options, it was important to choose a sort of middle ground that would reach and satisfy the widest group of people without getting too deep into the long tail of possible key permutations. So this was our solution, for better or worse.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 13:08:54 »
Quick update. The price for the core set will actually be $109 rather than $99. At $99, we calculated that they would probably lose money per set, so we had to adjust it. Just in case you were worried that they're marking these up by a lot, that should tell you something. ;)

Offline Pendleton

• bueno the bear
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 15:39:34 »
I'm so pumped for this.  What about a SHUTUP WESLEY key?  ... what about an entire SHUTUP WESLEY keyboard theme..

just kidding.  but i am suuuuper stoked for these official keys.  thank you for organizing this!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 16:23:53 »
I'm so pumped for this.  What about a SHUTUP WESLEY key?  ... what about an entire SHUTUP WESLEY keyboard theme..

(Attachment Link)

This needs to go to IC immediately!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 16:25:15 »

(Attachment Link)

just kidding.  but i am suuuuper stoked for these official keys.  thank you for organizing this!

lol. I love it.

Thanks for the kind words and your support!

Seriously, if this run is successful, Roddenberry may consider other Trek series such as Klingon, TOS, etc.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 16:37:01 »

(Attachment Link)

lol. I love it.

Thanks for the kind words and your support!

Seriously, if this run is successful, Roddenberry may consider other Trek series such as Klingon, TOS, etc.

Gunna need an IC for a Cardassian set ASAP :)
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Norde

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 04:00:18 »
This set looks very nice. I'm in. With or without Norde kit.

btw.

I think Norde kit without tertiary legends would look very nice in this key set. Just like MiTo Canvas Norde kit (29 keycaps). You can even combine Ö/Ř , Ä/Ć and Ü/Ĺ and save three keys and it would still look very nice.

Who wants to organize a GB?  ;)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 14:32:47 »
Quick question: would anybody be interested in my offering a parallel group buy on my site for a full keyboard and aluminum case combo that complements this set? They would be essentially the "Norbatouch" cases with a MasterKeys S PBT keyboard included instead of a Novatouch. Price would be like $369. Switch options: brown, red, blue, green, silver.

I realize that's a ton of money to spend all at once on a full keyboard set, but I figured people will ask, so I'm trying to figure out if it might be feasible.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 October 2017, 14:44:58 by norbauer »

Offline graefeln

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 18:30:40 »
I'm leaning towards not getting both a board and Galaxy Class in parallel group buys - but if you actually put them up, there is a possibility. I really like the looks of your case, seems to be quality; I am not big on the Cooler Master board though. I guess it really depends on how well it complements the set.

Edit: I am buying a board for this set though... and now I can't stop thinking about your case.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 October 2017, 18:45:14 by graefeln »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #182 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 19:04:26 »
Quick question: would anybody be interested in my offering a parallel group buy on my site for a full keyboard and aluminum case combo that complements this set? They would be essentially the "Norbatouch" cases with a MasterKeys S PBT keyboard included instead of a Novatouch. Price would be like $369. Switch options: brown, red, blue, green, silver.

Show Image

I realize that's a ton of money to spend all at once on a full keyboard set, but I figured people will ask, so I'm trying to figure out if it might be feasible.

Stupid question probably, but does the Masterkeys S PBT fit in that case with the new indicator leds relocated? 

Offline norbauer

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 19:05:17 »

Show Image

Stupid question probably, but does the Masterkeys S PBT fit in that case with the new indicator leds relocated?

I would be making a new case that fits the Masterkeys S PBT. It would just be a slight modification to the other one.

I feel like the Masterkeys S PBT is well suited to Galaxy Class because it isn't backlit, is fairly affordable, and I have a reliable source for at least 50 or so of them. :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #184 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 19:15:07 »
Nice.  Are you going to have holes for the indicator LEDs to shine through?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 19:16:41 »

Yup. The design modifications required are pretty simple: reduce plate well slightly, add three LED through-holes, adjust USB bracket screw locations, modify ferrite core pocket location.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 19:35:05 »

Yup. The design modifications required are pretty simple: reduce plate well slightly, add three LED through-holes, adjust USB bracket screw locations, modify ferrite core pocket location.

You terrible man. I already have 2 cases and this will probably get me to buy another.  Grrr.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 15:58:19 »

You terrible man. I already have 2 cases and this will probably get me to buy another.  Grrr.

Mea culpa. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 09:42:22 »
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline norbauer

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 09:43:46 »

The group buy will be live as soon as the folks at Roddenberry get into the office today. :)

Offline graefeln

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 09:45:15 »

The group buy will be live as soon as the folks at Roddenberry get into the office today. :)

I've been looking at that page off-and-on all morning waiting. I know it's for the whole month, but still...

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:13:50 »
Very cool.  I always enjoy content from Tested on YouTube.  I wish they would have shown some
more closeup glam shots, but still cool.  I’ll join the GB ASAP.   :thumb:

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:27:37 »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #193 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:37:44 »
It's live!

https://shop.roddenberry.com/products/galaxy-class-keyset

I'm going to go work on creating a proper GB thread now. :)

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #194 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:41:28 »
It's live!

damn, for how long? (will I have time till end of november?) I really need v.2 in my collection

edit: I just saw 29days remaining. Thank Q!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:42:17 »
It's live!

damn, for how long? (will I have time till end of november?) I really need v.2 in my collection

Yes indeed! Runs to the end of the month.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #196 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:48:55 »
Keyset feat. Tested.com  :cool:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #197 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:51:27 »
It's live!

Am I crazy or are some of the legends and icons on the numpad grayed out in the options images?

Offline rioc

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:53:39 »
oh well, thats 250$ gone at the end of the month... steep price for DSA, but I guess that's the included mark-up for roddenberry? still, won't stop me from getting it ;) (they know the fans will just get it)

Offline rioc

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:55:49 »
It's live!

Am I crazy or are some of the legends and icons on the numpad grayed out in the options images?
It looks like it, but not sure if final version will be blacker. If not I'll mix and match with my v.1 set

Sent from my DREA100 using Tapatalk