Author Topic: Refurbished black Affirmative (Unicomp) M-122s, $49.95 shipped OBO  (Read 6451 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Refurbished black Affirmative (Unicomp) M-122s, $49.95 shipped OBO
« on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 23:10:04 »
Affirmative Unicomp 1225T 5250 Model M 122-Key PS2 Buckling Spring Keyboard

204709-0

204711-1

(Presumably) like-new, rebranded Unicomp 122-key Model Ms for $49.95—or less, make them an offer—with free US shipping.

These work as-is with modern PCs with PS/2 ports; USB requires a cheap active PS/2-to-USB converter, like these.

=http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/PC122Unicomp's new M-122s are currently $105 + shipping. And these rebranded ones are $199 direct from Affirmative. So, such a deal!

As I post, 5 still available.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Refurbished black Affirmative (Unicomp) M-122s, $49.95 shipped OBO
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 17:41:34 »
204768-0

204770-1

I'll give this one a miss :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 02:51:21 »

I'm sorry you're so far away from the rest of us, Mate—but certainly you must've had some idea what you were getting into.

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 05:07:15 »

I'm sorry you're so far away from the rest of us, Mate—but certainly you must've had some idea what you were getting into.

Show Image

All I wanted to do was find a replacement for my NEC APC-H4100E something keyboard (acquired), and now I have even managed to repair the NEC keyboard with parts sourced from here, amassed a small collection of Model M keyboards, about a dozen more keyboards, more keycap sets than I can remember, dozens of artisans, and had a lot of fun in the process :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 01:46:33 »
All I wanted to do was find a replacement for my NEC APC-H4100E something keyboard (acquired), and now I have even managed to repair the NEC keyboard with parts sourced from here, amassed a small collection of Model M keyboards, about a dozen more keyboards, more keycap sets than I can remember, dozens of artisans, and had a lot of fun in the process :D

You beauty! (Don't worry, I'm not getting fresh w/Rowdy; that's just a way they say "Great!" Down Under.)

Since you have what you need then, it's an advantage living down there where you won't end up buying a bunch of extra stuff online just for the sake of buying it—a common affliction here in the West.  :?P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 20:47:41 »

You beauty! (Don't worry, I'm not getting fresh w/Rowdy; that's just a way they say "Great!" Down Under.)

Since you have what you need then, it's an advantage living down there where you won't end up buying a bunch of extra stuff online just for the sake of buying it—a common affliction here in the West.  :?P

I might have what I need, but getting what I want is another matter.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 23:49:27 »

So you did notice my careful choice of words.  :?)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 20:57:49 »

So you did notice my careful choice of words.  :?)

Form a domestic perspective we are only supposed to be buying things we need, in contradistinction to things we want.  So the difference stands out quite well, and cannot usually be justified by saying, "I need this to fulfill my feelings of inadequacy or loss".

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 06:01:05 »
Form a domestic perspective we are only supposed to be buying things we need, in contradistinction to things we want.  So the difference stands out quite well, and cannot usually be justified by saying, "I need this to fulfill my feelings of inadequacy or loss".

Yeah, I've tried that one too. I know we're both in the Commonwealth 'n' all, but it's still impressive how universally similar things can be.

When it comes to buying stuff, this seems to be the general difference between women and men:

Woman: How much is it? Okay, I'll take it.

Man: Okay, I'll take it. How much is it?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 16:37:39 »

Yeah, I've tried that one too. I know we're both in the Commonwealth 'n' all, but it's still impressive how universally similar things can be.

When it comes to buying stuff, this seems to be the general difference between women and men:

Woman: How much is it? Okay, I'll take it.

Man: Okay, I'll take it. How much is it?

Or in our case: Do we really need it?  Can we use something else we already have?  How much is it?  (And, depending on the price, perhaps again) Do we really need it?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 05:14:03 »
Or in our case: Do we really need it?  Can we use something else we already have?  How much is it?  (And, depending on the price, perhaps again) Do we really need it?

Yes, that's all quite logical... Personally, though, my process is a bit more specific:

205328-0

Offline laxfan91

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 18:10:11 »

Yes, that's all quite logical... Personally, though, my process is a bit more specific:

(Attachment Link)

This flowchart is both hilarious and has a touch of accuracy!!!

As for my m122, that user named ander provided an international level of peer pressure for me to get it (it worked :) ). I finally found a home for it that could fit its size. Link below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/9n7850/my_laptop_keyboard_still_sucks_attached_a_122_key/

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 02:49:57 »
As for my m122, that user named ander provided an international level of peer pressure for me to get it (it worked :) ). I finally found a home for it that could fit its size. Link below...

Awesome! I'm sure most of you will agree: Portable PCs are great in terms of sheer portability, but when you want to really type on them—especially in a meaningfully clicky-clackety way—there's nothing for it but to attach an external keeb that's much bigger than the whole PC.

It also emphasizes the universal fact that the keeb is by far the most important part of the whole dang system. There are whole websites about that.

Anyway, congrats, dude—you have clearly arrived.

("International pressure", LOL)

Offline brainandforce

• Keyboarding on a budget!
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 23:30:33 »
Thanks for the post ander! My buddy and I picked two up for ourselves.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 16:50:16 »
Preach on brother Ander!  There's more people to save from rubber domes!

Offline brainandforce

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 16:41:25 »
Note to others: these boards come "refurbished" – and by that I mean caked in filth. They do work, but you'll need to do some serious cleaning. Mine even seemed to have some dried out grass in it.
206742-0

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 16:57:27 »
That’s an interesting take on “refurbished”.
Did the just wipe the dust off the outside and say “there, done”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 17:16:01 »
That’s an interesting take on “refurbished”.
Did the just wipe the dust off the outside and say “there, done”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much seems like it.  Or if they ahve 2-piece keycaps, take off the top cap and clean it and it's done.

There should be a real ISO/ANSI grading scale to keyboard refurbs, versus the 'grade a because affirmative and a start with the same letter' grading scale.

Offline laxfan91

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 21:26:51 »
Note to others: these boards come "refurbished" – and by that I mean caked in filth. They do work, but you'll need to do some serious cleaning. Mine even seemed to have some dried out grass in it.
(Attachment Link)

Mine came just as dirty and with 2 strangely discolored keycaps. I ordered some replacements from Unicomp as part of replacing some keycaps I didn't like across all of my IBM KB collection and got a pack of new springs to replace 2 I really didn't like the feel of.

Mine did clean up nicely, but I had to take all the keycaps and put them in a bra bag to wash them in the washing machine on the delicates cycle (yes a bra bag is perfect for cleaning thick PBT keycaps in the washing machine balanced with a towel or 2, I'd never do this for ABS ones though). 36 hours of drying and we were in business with caps/keyboard cleaner than leaving the Unicomp factory and smelling like fresh towels. :)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 21:41:17 »
Note to others: these boards come "refurbished" – and by that I mean caked in filth...

Oh, man, that's ridiculous. I'd file a complaint with eBay—including a photo of the keeb's interior—and send it right back at the buyer's expense. It seems especially important to do this, as they're selling a quantity of them with this false description.

Sorry these turned out this way, but obviously we had only the seller's word that they were "refurbished."  :?P

Offline brainandforce

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 15:13:52 »
Considering that I only got it for $30 and that it still works without any major issues, I don't think it's too bad a deal, but I'll be discussing filing a complaint with my friend (he ordered both of them).

Also, speaking of ANSI, I was a little disappointed to see that a stabilizer is installed where the backslash key normally goes - so I don't think it's possible to ANSI mod this board without bolt modding.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 17:20:04 »

I don't think it's possible to ANSI mod this board without bolt modding.

Yep
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline JP

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 17:25:06 »
Just one more of these left apparently.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 16:55:21 »
Just one more of these left apparently.

Well, anyone need any soil for their houseplants?