Author Topic: Clear BS Keycaps and Stems  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Magnusian

Clear BS Keycaps and Stems
« on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 16:51:38 »
I know that at least single unit clear caps were (are?) made, clickykeyboards.com used to have them in stock. I'd like to know if there's anywhere else I can obtain them, if they exist for the larger keys and if clear stems exist. I've thought about asking Unicomp but since they don't list them, I'm worried that I'll get the standard reply of "We don't make them, but may sometime in the future."

I think it would be pretty sweet to have a completely clear keyset on one of my Ms, and I'd really appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction to hunting down clear caps and stems.
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: Clear BS Keycaps and Stems
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 18:50:45 »
Fentek says they have them.  (Scroll to the bottom of the page.)

http://www.fentek-ind.com/keys.htm

Good luck!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 19:24:22 »
Thanks! Doesn't look like they make the stems or single-piece keys, but I'll definitely shoot them an email about it.
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 19:31:28 »
If you find a one piece clear BS cap, hit me up, I'd love to have one as well
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 19:47:27 »
I just emailed fentek asking (amongst a slew of other questions) if they could do an entire 104 key set for one of my Unicomps. I'll report back if they can do single-piece keys, which assuming if they can make the modifiers and spacebar, should be doable.

If they can do single-piece IBM keys, I wonder if double-shot (non-clear of course) IBM keys would be out of the question for them...

I think the coolest thing would be to get clear IBM keys with the Sindarin legend that I've seen in the GB forum. Fentek doesn't list dyesub as an option, but laser engraving might be good enough.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2012, 19:50:06 by Magnusian »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 02:53:32 »
I just emailed fentek asking (amongst a slew of other questions) if they could do an entire 104 key set for one of my Unicomps. I'll report back if they can do single-piece keys, which assuming if they can make the modifiers and spacebar, should be doable.

If they can do single-piece IBM keys, I wonder if double-shot (non-clear of course) IBM keys would be out of the question for them...

I think the coolest thing would be to get clear IBM keys with the Sindarin legend that I've seen in the GB forum. Fentek doesn't list dyesub as an option, but laser engraving might be good enough.
you could try for clear two-piece keys, and print the legends on a clear polymer to put inbetween. Not as good, but more versatile.
I've always wanted to make a new flexible PCB sheet for M's that you could solder RGB LEDs onto.