Author Topic: A good microphone for mech kbs users.  (Read 6075 times)

Offline iScrtAznMan

A good microphone for mech kbs users.
« on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 22:26:02 »
I'm using a filco with browns, but i like to bottom out while gaming. The bad part is that I use a laptop mic and my laptop is between me and my keyboard. On top of this, I just want a  microphone, since I have some sennheiser headphones and would preferably listen to those rather than replace them and get a heaset. What are your recommendations for just microphones that are noise-canceling or reduce the keyboard noise?

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 22:38:44 »
I've used one of these for a while now for gaming;  http://www.speedlink.com/?p=2&cat=184&pid=23873&paus=1&PHPSESSID=6ba77b915df8eb822ac64689e43f155a

Works really well, very clear and cost about $10, can't go wrong.
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline iScrtAznMan

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 22:45:03 »
Oh no it's eu =(. Why cant americans have nice things. Also where is this available at?
(btw that website looks so shady XD i don't know why I just get bad vibes from it . . . i think it's the pink and the layout looks old)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 22:45:16 »
If you like the idea of a headset, I've heard this is nice.  It's a headset add-on mic.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 22:55:17 »
Quote from: jonnybastard;534425
I've used one of these for a while now for gaming;  http://www.speedlink.com/?p=2&cat=184&pid=23873&paus=1&PHPSESSID=6ba77b915df8eb822ac64689e43f155a

Works really well, very clear and cost about $10, can't go wrong.

Hardly noticeable thanks to its light weight at 7g.

2.5m cable for maximum freedom of movement.

I don't have a problem with the layout, it's this odd unit of measurement I'm afraid of.
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 22:59:55 »
Quote from: iScrtAznMan;534428
Oh no it's eu =(. Why cant americans have nice things. Also where is this available at?
(btw that website looks so shady XD i don't know why I just get bad vibes from it . . . i think it's the pink and the layout looks old)

I'm in Australia so the place I bought mine from wont be any good to you.  There's plenty on eBay, or spend 2 seconds on google; http://www.airetechit.co.uk/e-shop/int/ROW/products.php?23042¤cy=USD&livemode=1
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 23:01:27 »
Quote from: Roguemaster8;534437
I don't have a problem with the layout, it's this odd unit of measurement I'm afraid of.

Metric ftw.

flickr

Offline iScrtAznMan

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 23:37:33 »
If you like the idea of a headset, I've heard this is nice. It's a headset add-on mic.

Do you know if this is noisecanceling? My main issue is that my keyboard makes a lot of background noise, that and I live in a college dorm

Offline Surly73

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 07:19:39 »
Anything with a noise canceling mic would do fine.  The noise canceling I'm talking about isn't active electronics trickery (like noise canceling headphones) although some will have that too.  A lot of NC headset mics (like Plantronics telephone headsets) simply have openings on both sides - one facing the mouth and one directly away.  The idea is that ambient room noises enter both ports and don't result in net movement of the mic diaphragm while voice originating from a mouth located 1/8" away from only one of the ports will be picked up clearly.

Anything with this type of NC should clearly show multiple ports at the mic and will have some kind of directionality - like being mounted on a boom.  A lapel mic is not going to have this kind of design - everything is "ambient noise" including the user's voice to a lapel mic.

Offline silat

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 07:30:56 »
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline astr0s

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 09:54:37 »
Quote from: silat;536772
This is a fantastic mic for your needs..
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

I strongly disagree.
Here's a sample of using that particular microphone attached to my headphones typing a few sentences with Filco on MX Blues with 50A rings. Mic is connected to Asus Xonar DX and no mic-boost on.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/574006/filco_test_zalman.wma

Noise is on the edge of not being tolerable and with Browns I'd say that it will sound similar. Of course, since there's no talking it exaggerates a bit.

Edit: Messed around a bit with the settings, with AEC (Acoustics Echo Cancelling) from Xonar's settings and put the mic boost on and it gave a much clearer sound, but also more noise. Without mic boost there's hardly noise, but you can hardly hear anything either.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 March 2012, 10:06:17 by astr0s »
Filco Mj | Filco Mj2 DSA Retro | Filco Mj2 TKL CCnG | Leopold 210TP CCnG

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 14:02:25 »
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

Quote from: astr0s;536834
I strongly disagree.
Here's a sample of using that particular microphone attached to my headphones typing a few sentences with Filco on MX Blues with 50A rings. Mic is connected to Asus Xonar DX and no mic-boost on.

Noise is on the edge of not being tolerable and with Browns I'd say that it will sound similar. Of course, since there's no talking it exaggerates a bit.

Edit: Messed around a bit with the settings, with AEC (Acoustics Echo Cancelling) from Xonar's settings and put the mic boost on and it gave a much clearer sound, but also more noise. Without mic boost there's hardly noise, but you can hardly hear anything either.

Was considering getting this mic as an add-on for my HFI-580s.  I noticed that you can barely hear the blues in the background, but what about for voice?  Can others hear you nice and clear with the mic up close?  Does it need to be boosted in order to hear a voice?  For my needs, I'm looking for a cheap mic that will clip-on to my headphones for Skype and the occasional webcam stream.  Muting the mechanical keyboard isn't a priority at all, most people I communicate with already know that I have a mechanical keyboard and have adjusted to it.

Thanks in advance!
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Shogunner

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 17:58:48 »
Look no further, and don't settle for some ****ty Zalman clipon.

http://www.modmic.com/

Offline silat

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 18:34:30 »
Quote from: astr0s;536834
I strongly disagree.

Interesting as I type with clears and none of my gaming buddies have mentioned the keyboard sounds. In fact just the opposite they have all mentioned how great my new mic is.
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline Surly73

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 11:46:51 »

I have one as a cheap mic to use in a pinch.  It will pick up lots of keyboard and ambient noise.

AEC is not going to help - it is designed to reject sound being generated by the sound card not sounds in the room.
The noise suppression feature offered by some software/sound cards is more for continuous sounds like fans.  These algorithms have no way of telling whether the tapping from a keyboard is a sound you do or do not want heard through the mic.

Acoustic noise cancellation designed to reject all ambient sound that does not originate from only one side of the mic is your best bet.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 18:02:09 »
I always preferred these micro-phones:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 43498[/ATTACH]
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS