Author Topic: GMK vs Non GMK Keycaps  (Read 8347 times)

Offline Frenaris

GMK vs Non GMK Keycaps
« on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 10:53:40 »
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been discussed already or not, couldn't see anything in search.

Is there a huge difference between the GMK keycaps and not?

Just wondering if the price difference is justified on these for example.

https://drop.com/buy/godspeed-custom-sa-keycap-set

and

https://drop.com/buy/drop-mito-gmk-godspeed-custom-keycap-set

Thanks in advance!

Frenaris

Offline jakereps

Re: GMK vs Non GMK Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:00:11 »
If you're only comparing the price that is shown on the search page you aren't getting the full picture. SA is built piece-wise. GMK is more in kits. The GMK price is for an entire base kit, where that $37 listed on the SA will only get you the alpha keycaps, then you have to buy the modifiers and possibly spacebars separately.

Putting together a comparable "kit" in the SA they are very similar in price.

Comparison

GMK Armstrong Base Kit: $125

SA Solar Alphas + Classic Modifiers + 7u Spacebar + Novelties (only way to get some of the caps that are in the GMK Base Kit): $171
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:08:27 by jakereps »

Offline rjohn

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:01:49 »
lol ,i saw today both on drop when i saw the price difference i thought the one is complete keyboard .

Offline Frenaris

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:05:55 »
If you're only comparing the price that is shown on the search page you aren't getting the full picture. SA is built piece-wise. GMK is more in kits. The GMK price is for an entire base kit, where that $37 listed on the SA will only get you the alpha keycaps, then you have to buy the modifiers and possibly spacebars separately.

Both links do say for the whole kit though, or do you think that was in error? Essentially I'm just curious what the differences are between GMK keys vs non GMK that you see available.

Offline jakereps

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:15:38 »

Both links do say for the whole kit though, or do you think that was in error? Essentially I'm just curious what the differences are between GMK keys vs non GMK that you see available.

I updated my original comment with a price comparison, the physical difference is the scult/size of the caps. SA are aggressively sculpted keys while GMK is the original "cherry profile" that you'll see similar shape/sculpts as the OEM profile that is on most off the shelf like gamer keyboards and stuff.

Here is a photo I have of an SA profile vs an OEM (more cherry-like but not exactly the same that GMK would be) on my old Pok3r: https://imgur.com/ObgTItv

Offline Frenaris

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:28:07 »

I updated my original comment with a price comparison, the physical difference is the scult/size of the caps. SA are aggressively sculpted keys while GMK is the original "cherry profile" that you'll see similar shape/sculpts as the OEM profile that is on most off the shelf like gamer keyboards and stuff.

Here is a photo I have of an SA profile vs an OEM (more cherry-like but not exactly the same that GMK would be) on my old Pok3r: https://imgur.com/ObgTItv

So the coloured keycap set (I forget the name lol) is GMK and the black keys are non GMK? So you're getting a proper set.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:32:07 »
jakereps has it right. Between the two sets mentioned in the OP the biggest difference isn't the cost, but the profile. Some folks would prefer one or the other. See this thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68550.0
REΛLFORCE

Offline Frenaris

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:36:11 »
jakereps has it right. Between the two sets mentioned in the OP the biggest difference isn't the cost, but the profile. Some folks would prefer one or the other. See this thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68550.0

Okay cool. Thanks for the link! Gonna read up on this now.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 12:04:30 »
In that thread, "SP" stands for Signature Plastics, a company which makes a lot of caps and has developed some of their own profiles.
REΛLFORCE

Offline zappysnap

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 22:49:21 »

So the coloured keycap set (I forget the name lol) is GMK and the black keys are non GMK? So you're getting a proper set.

No. In that photo, the colored keycaps are SA profile caps, and the black ones are cheap OEM profile caps. No GMK in there.

Important to realize what is being discussed. First, GMK is a keycaps manufacturer. They make all their caps (essentially) in what is called Cherry profile. Keyboard profiles are basically the shape of the Caps. Cherry profile is a cylindrical keycap (curves around the vertical axis when looking at the tops), low profile (the caps aren't tall), with a bit of sculpting (the caps in each row are angled differently).

There are many other makers of cherry profile caps, though GMK is considered a top tier maker. JTK makes caps very similar in thickness and plastic quality to GMK at a lower price, but the legends aren't quite as crisp and flawless as GMK tends to be. ePBT makes cherry profile caps that are in my opinion every bit as good as GMK, but in a different material (PBT plastic instead of ABS).

Signature Plastics is another top tier manufacturer, and they are one of two major makers of SA profile caps (the other being MaxKey). These are a spherical cap (curves around the center of the cap in all directions), high profile (very tall), can be sculpted or all the same flat row, and are extremely thick ABS (usually....Sig.plastics also makes them in PBT, but rarely).

Both GMK and SP make great keycaps. Both Godspeed sets are double shot ABS (doubleshot means the legends are molded plastic of a different color, so they can never wear off) of great quality.

As an aside SP makes caps in many profiles.
YMDK96/XD96, Holy Panda, Infinikey Hive
DZ60RGB, 67g Zealio v2, SA Oblivion
Varmilo VA68M, Box Navy, SA Ashen
MA60 v2, Wood case, Novelkeys Cream, XDA Canvas
DZ60, 78g Zealios, Lambo case, DSA Geode (custom sublimated)
Leopold FC980M, MX Clear, EnjoyPBT 9009

Offline OtherBarry1992

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 19:51:29 »
Gmk is worth it for the limited runs and general scarcity of some of the colorways.