Author Topic: [IC]Titanium alloy 3D printed keys  (Read 34640 times)

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
[IC]Titanium alloy 3D printed keys
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 14:22:24 »
Quote from: damorgue;614635
universal spacebar picture.

This.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 June 2012, 14:34:59 by Netdewt »

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 14:26:43 »
HE MEANT THIS

Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 14:32:11 »
I actually did. Sorry.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 14:48:42 »
No problem.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline silat

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 15:34:57 »
Quote from: damorgue;614429
This is highly speculative.
2) If the quantities are large and there is enough profit, the company might get interested. The market is unfortunately small and as such, I am quite certain that this will be more of a small project by me. I may get to throw in a couple to be made and be done with it. One machine could make, say 1000 a day, if it really comes to that. If it does, I may be able to get support from the company. Do you really believe the market to be that large?

I would bet that the market for these will be relatively small. But you can count me in:)
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 16:00:30 »
Can you do the finish that came on the titanium spacebars that were sold a long time ago? Those were super shiny and awesome.

Universal on the bottom.

Super shiny on top.

R.I.P.ster

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 17:17:29 »
Quote from: The_Ed;618878
Can you do the finish that came on the titanium spacebars that were sold a long time ago? Those were super shiny and awesome.

Universal on the bottom.

Show Image

Super shiny on top.

Show Image

That finish looks like it would take some fine sanding and then buffing to receive. Of course it could be done, but mirror finish is labor intensive. How much did the space bars like the one in your image cost?

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 17:19:49 »
Quote from: damorgue;618948
That finish looks like it would take some fine sanding and then buffing to receive. Of course it could be done, but mirror finish is labor intensive. How much did the space bars like the one in your image cost?

Don't ask don't tell xD.

Offline imersa

• clickclack's #1 fan
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 17:47:11 »
Could be my best option with the titanium ones being impossible to get :R

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 17:58:53 »
If I remember correctly - They were originally cheaper (75-85?), but the final batch sold for $100.
R.I.P.ster

Offline imersa

• clickclack's #1 fan
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 18:24:53 »
Yesir

Offline graboy

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 23:45:18 »
Sweet, probably not going to order any, but I'm also probably going to wish I did. I think most people are more interested in a material like aluminum, titanium truly is unnessicarry. Also, aluminum has a much larger spectrum of anodization colors, if anyone was going to anodize theirs afterwards.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 23:47:08 »
i'm perfectly happy doing the finishing myself by hand. i suspect it's easier for me to put a bunch of elbow grease and some sandpaper to it than it would be for you to quickly finish a batch of them without a dedicated shop.

aluminum is certainly much easier to finish, but the advantage of titanium is 1) cool 2) takes much better advantage of the 3d printing process. you can just mill aluminum spacebars all day long. 3d printing titanium otoh is the only way you're going to be able to make more than a few at a time.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 00:05:37 »
Aluminum is excellent, don't get me wrong but I'd rather have something more unique like titanium
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 00:34:44 »
Titanium spacebars are in this thread. Go to the other thread for aluminum or stainless steel spacebars -> http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?32486-IC-Stainless-Steel-or-Aluminum-SpaceBar

Titanium, universal, AND shiny like the previous ones will make me spend a lot of money.
R.I.P.ster

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 07:29:00 »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 07:38:42 »
MX and topre compatible? I think it's impossible to do both without it being loose for both as well. Prove me wrong and your sales/profits will increase. Otherwise if there's enough interest you could do a universal topre spacebar. After the universal MX spacebar of course.
R.I.P.ster

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 08:36:38 »
it seems pretty possible actually. the trick is that even though the MX key shaft is specc'd at a certain diameter, the keys will happily accept larger diameter shafts, as long as the cross shaped notches have the right width. to try, i'd start with a topre shaft, then fill in enough of the circle to allow mounting on the horizontal bit of the MX switch stem. it might be a little loose on one axis on an MX stem, but it should still perfectly fit a topre slider.

edit: also, this is probably why nothing really came of the dremel experiment in the linked thread. you can't just remove bits from an MX key shaft. you have to add bits to a topre shaft, which means a new mold/model.

thankfully, this fellow has exactly the tool for quickly prototyping such a thing :)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline OPTiK

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 09:23:32 »
I want that chulu key!! (the first one with like the whole model as opposed to just the one with his head poking up alittle)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 18:39:14 »
I'm also in agreement with the get the size and mounting right, end user can deal with finish if it keeps the price down by a considerable amount. I also have no problem with doing some fine sanding / buffing work. I don't want to be doing things like taking random tools to the stem mount to make it fit work though. I've seen too many complaints about some metal caps either not fitting on, or falling off constantly. Getting that right is much more important.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 20:22:00 »
What about a premium for the people who want it polished to a shine like the last batch?
R.I.P.ster

Offline RotaryFist

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 21:36:51 »
That cthulhu key is so cute! I didn't even know that could be done! I had never imagined the possibilities with creating keys. I would be interested in a stepped caps lock key and if possible the cthulhu. But is titanium the only option you have?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 22:17:56 »
Quote from: The_Ed;619954
What about a premium for the people who want it polished to a shine like the last batch?

I'm sure someone would offer polishing services much like the soldering service for the Poker DIY kits. I wouldn't mind polishing a spacebar for a small fee

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 12:32:38 »
I made a quickie spreadsheet. It is in the first post as well.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGdBUDZSME10NHFDV09FYm96eXR4ZHc6MQ

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 12:39:14 »
Filled Out Survey - Go team stepped caps lock!

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 12:42:49 »
Quote from: i3oilermaker;621649
Filled Out Survey - Go team stepped caps lock!
Oh, I forgot, you are totally anonymous (Unless you are the first and shout it out loud)

Offline RotaryFist

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 12:45:15 »
Whoa so you would do requests for custom keys? What programs would you use to make custom shapes? I am wondering if I could get a template and just mess with it on blender. I am not familiar with any cad software. I want to make a bunny esc key

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 12:48:38 »
Quote from: ikayama;621652
Whoa so you would do requests for custom keys? What programs would you use to make custom shapes? I am wondering if I could get a template and just mess with it on blender. I am not familiar with any cad software. I want to make a bunny esc key

I could give you a mesh to mess around with. I actually modeled an H-key, so I will need to change a couple of dimensions a bit but I was planning on making all the rows anyway.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 19:40:23 »
survey filled out

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 22:02:38 »
Form filled.

Does the smooth finish mean the shiny finish of the previous batch of spacebars?
R.I.P.ster

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Re: [IC]Titanium alloy 3D printed keys
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 13:40:57 »
Let's revive this conversation here since Deskthority archived it. 

I am really hopeful this turns in to a GB soon!

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 13:51:44 »
I have selected the proper tolerances for the stem fitting etc:

I am experimenting with finishes although summer vacations have begun. Does anyone happen to work in electropolishing? Titanium is resistant, and there aren't many places that will treat it. Anodizing of titanium is a bit more common, but still not found everywhere.

Edit: The surface looks a bit ruffer than it is. Here is a shot compared to a round3 cap:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 13:53:45 »
unfortunately the only people we know that work in titanium are in china. treble318 doesn't typically work in titanium, but he might have US contacts that will do finish work for it.

the rough surface just-post-extrusion is pretty durable, isn't it? honestly, that's enough for me. i'd be quite jazzed to have a roughly surfaced titanium spacebar for mx and topre.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 14:31:35 »
Anyone based in Chicago?
http://www.ableelectropolishing.com/titanium-anodizing.htm
http://www.ableelectropolishing.com/titanium-finishing

They seem to offer free samples, as in send in and get electropolished and/or anodized.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 15:12:56 »
Anyone based in Chicago?
http://www.ableelectropolishing.com/titanium-anodizing.htm
http://www.ableelectropolishing.com/titanium-finishing

They seem to offer free samples, as in send in and get electropolished and/or anodized.

I'm pretty sure i3oilermaker is in Chicago

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 16:59:25 »
I am in Chicago...that place is not really close to me, but if we make a deal with them I can do drop off/pickups.

I would think damorgue could just send them the keys directly.  I would be happy to pick them up and then send them out to GBers

Also think the rough surface is kind of cool :)

fartq

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 19:40:33 »
yah, i have to say i like the rough surface. how much to do a small run of filco spacebars damorgue? i'd really like a rough black one to go with my kbc pbt set and black acrylic phantom.. we could throw a GH logo on the top and make it a limited edition ;)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 00:39:15 »
Voting up Mkawa's idea. Sexy GH rough titanium space bar makes me drool.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 17:20:57 »
I'm really loving how rough it is. Like PBT but better. I think Ideally (for me) it'd be smooth/polished, like that Titanium spacebar china came out with a while ago (Tsangan has one, I think?) but this is a very close second.

I just don't like the super-rough metals as much for corrosion reasons (Much greater surface area). But they feel great, I'm sure.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 17:36:50 »
I just don't like the super-rough metals as much for corrosion reasons (Much greater surface area). But they feel great, I'm sure.

This alloy won't corrode easily, or even at all under normal circumstances. Quote from wiki:
The most noted chemical property of titanium is its excellent resistance to corrosion; it is almost as resistant as platinum

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 04:23:43 »
If you can make a full 104 and/or 87 key-set for Filco's, then count me in.

I will buy just about anything, if it's good quality.  Having real decent textured metallic keys would just be absolutely fantastic.

Even paying $500 for a set would be cheap.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 08:32:00 »

Even paying $500 for a set would be cheap.

For that kind of money, you could probably get a full set which is electropolished and anodized as well.

Edit: I'll see what I can do about sending a couple of samples to that company in Chicago.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 16:13:24 »
I just looked at the caps of Topre, and since they are of the sliding kind, they will probably not be suitable either.
IBM (2 piece type) and MX caps are the ones which are possible to make without a lot of effort.

Someone should make a two piece type for Topre, a single mold for all the keys which you can the put covers on, much like some IBM boards.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 04:40:26 »
what would probably need to be done is to have the slider part be 3d printed out of a polymer with a very precise process and then a metal cap fitted. shapeways metal sintering method (although limited to silver and gold at this point) may also produce smooth enough parts...

anyway, the nice thing about model M keys is that they are single profile, and it would be quite easy to get you a full set of caps (although there are the stabilize sliders to deal with...). for the time being, a single small run of rough titanium spacebars for MX would be awesome

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 04:51:19 »
kawa go to sleep its 3am!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

fartq

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 04:52:51 »
 :o

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 04:55:50 »
what would probably need to be done is to have the slider part be 3d printed out of a polymer with a very precise process and then a metal cap fitted. shapeways metal sintering method (although limited to silver and gold at this point) may also produce smooth enough parts...
I am certain that their metalsintered surfaces are not smooth enough.
http://www.shapeways.com/materials
They are polished or treated after printing, as stated there. They label their metals "slightly pitted and rough". Unfortunately, getting the tolerances to be tight enough with some after treatment would be difficult, especially since the area in question is hard to reach. Sorry to break it to you, but theirs aren't slider-smooth either. Some of those jewelry you see there has been quite heavily machines and polished afterwards.

Their silver is actually cast in wax molds that are printed and the wax makes them smooth. Those molds are only usable one time, which is why they are only used for expensive silver which tends to be in lower series.

anyway, the nice thing about model M keys is that they are single profile, and it would be quite easy to get you a full set of caps (although there are the stabilize sliders to deal with...). for the time being, a single small run of rough titanium spacebars for MX would be awesome

To make the Topre 2-piece, we would only need one single slider, and then have the cover caps be of different profile. THe fact that the model M caps all also ahve the same profile, not just the slider, is only helpful when molding.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 05:10:22 »
ok, fair enough. i'm curious whether shapeways could produce slider-smooth polymer parts though. if someone can put together a mesh i'll happily pay for production of some samples

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 05:29:34 »
They are not smooth either. The good thing is that even though their plastics aren't smooth, at last those won't scratch the outer tube and destroy it. Even though the plastic isn't smooth, it could still work to some extent.

fartq

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 12:38:12 »
well, i suspect it depends on the material used. the polymer with alum shavings embedded, for example, would probably be harder than the soft ABS/PBT they use for the outer slider