Author Topic: Purple LEDs  (Read 3948 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Purple LEDs
« on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 04:25:40 »
I didn't realize purple LEDs were so hard to find. Only ones I could source are these Xicon 351-3314-RC, but they're just too dim at only 110mcd. All other major online electronics parts stores do not have any other purple ones. Any help on sourcing these would be much appreciated. The catch (and also what makes them hard to find) is that they must be in 3mm T1 size, through-hole, and sold/shipped from within the US because I need these ASAP. Nearly all other LEDs are from China or Hong Kong, takes too long to receive them.

A workaround I can think of is to just get UV LEDs in the low 400nm range instead of the high 300nm, but this won't be very bright, and won't be true purple.

Offline m00nshake

Re: Purple LEDs
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 06:24:24 »
I also was thinking about having purple leds on my Kmac but I also couldn't find anything. Since Ducky has a board with purple leds this has to be available somewhere. I too would be interested in finding out where to get them for future builds. Thanks for bringing this up.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 06:34:57 »
I bought these UV/Purple (peak 620-625nm) ones from a Hong Kong seller on eBay. They claim to be 6000mcd, but they are really not that bright to me in the visible spectrum.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 November 2012, 06:36:56 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 06:36:43 »
I "needed" some pink LEDs for a case mod I did on some Lian Li power/reset switches.  They were hard to find, because mostly the ones called Pink were really Purple in output color.

Anyhow, I bought mine form a guy in the UK, but along the way I found two good places to look:

1) Model train suppliers.  They use LEDs for all sorts of little lights.

2) Search for Pink as well as purple -- you might luck out that way.

- Ron || samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline engicoder

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 09:13:16 »

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:52:40 »
Purple LED's are very easy to find on ebay, mainly from China.

It will be nearly impossible to find a super bright purple (UV) LED. Not sure why that is exactly, but I have been through several different kinds.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 10:54:04 »
I'm sure that Digikey has them...

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 04:16:49 »
What about the NightFire ones:
http://www.amazon.com/NightFire-Clear-PURPLE-pieces-Resistors/dp/B008D5NKRY

Thanks for the link. I actually saw those too, but there are absolutely no electrical rating on those, so I didn't want to risk getting those. But I may end up having to get those as a last resort.

It will be nearly impossible to find a super bright purple (UV) LED. Not sure why that is exactly, but I have been through several different kinds.

It's because the UV range of the wavelength spectrum is not in the visible color range. It might barely touch the 400nm range, but not really enough to be considered a real color.

I'm sure that Digikey has them...

Nope, mouser and digikey had none.

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 01:25:42 »
Remember to be careful about what you really get. UV light isn't that great for your eyes... And if they really do emit most of their power you are not even going to notice what is happening when you go blind =P (Yes I am pulling that a bit out of my ass, but I am sure it's not going to be good at least ; )

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 08:33:19 »
Found this... looks like purple is right on the edge of the color spectrum that you can get LEDs in.

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 08:39:51 »
There are proper UV LEDs, so it's not quite true purple is on the edge of what is possible. I'd say that graph shows there is no great amounts of UV or IR in their white LEDs. It may be hard to produce good LEDs with visible purple color, I have no idea. And I still want to urge everyone to be careful with UV light.

http://www.lumex.com/images/Lumex_UV_LEDs_6WV.pdf
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 November 2012, 08:41:48 by bpiphany »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 08:58:47 »
Me too, I wouldn't use UV LED's myself... perhaps a company would make a purple lensed LED.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 09:01:11 »
Someone makes it cuz Ducky's got it... be damned if I can find one from the usual places tho.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 09:09:54 »
Buy a Ducky and pull the LEDs. :P

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 18:33:02 »
There were a few people that mentioned their ducky purple LEDs were more pink than purple. I just got my purple LEDs in today, so I'll see what kind of purple hue it is when I get home (or maybe even pink too).