Author Topic: A Gentle Request: Give the Apple Bashing a Rest Please  (Read 25974 times)

Offline TexasFlood

A Gentle Request: Give the Apple Bashing a Rest Please
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 11:03:09 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;165395
Unless you count the $20,000 in electricity it took to operate it as noise.

Had it been fan cooled, I'm sure it would have sounded like a jet turbine. ;)

They did generate a lot of heat.  I recall one that was in a relatively small lab when the water based cooling system for the room developed a leak and had to be shut down.  We had to shut the Cray down.  Still got pretty damn warm in there but think it would have been fatal if the Cray had still been running.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 17:26:12 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;165357
There seriously are 060 modded versions of the Falcon floating around out there? I'd love to see that!

The Hades 060 is the one that comes immediatly to mind.

My friend is running a CT63 at ~100Mhz
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 04:29:34 »
Quote from: kishy;164287
I can never keep track of which is which...is the Mighty Mouse the wired one with little scroll ball, or Bluetooth wireless one with touch scrolling?

In the case of the latter don't bother, the latency is REALLY bad...I notice this and all I'm doing is basic use stuff for the most part. You may have seen the old PS/2 wireless ball mouse I use on my 286 from time to time...it tracks better with less latency.

The one with the little ball should be similar to the slightly earlier semitransparent optical ones.

I used one of these the other day in a computer store. I thought they were a definite improvement over the Mighty Mouse in most departments, and I didnt notice any lag issues.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 13:14:59 »
Hmm...maybe something to do with the software setup on my friend's hackintosh (that's where I've used it).
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 14:50:18 »
Haha, there's your problem right there.

I mean, it wasn't the sort of thing that made you think "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE ONE OF THESE" but it was probably the best mouse you're likely to get free with a computer, albeit a €1,100 one...

Offline vyshane

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 25 April 2010, 21:30:51 »
Quote from: kishy;173800
Hmm...maybe something to do with the software setup on my friend's hackintosh (that's where I've used it).

Mouse lag is a known issue with nvidia cards in hackintoshes. Likely not magic mouse related.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 25 April 2010, 22:07:00 »
Yeah he's got a GeForce Go something-or-other. That'd do it, I suppose.
kishy.ca

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 25 April 2010, 23:48:34 »
Quote from: ch_123;165325
Some day I'll fit the one true computer into my bedroom -
I recently learned one interesting thing about the VAX. At least two models (the 6500 and the 8800) included the option of vector operations which were of a similar type to those of the Cray-1. And the architecture also provided for packed decimal operations.

I like that kind of versatility. And it even has the IBM 360 architecture beat, because while there were vector attachments for the 370, they were only the memory-to-memory kind, not including vector registers, which greatly enhanced the performance of the Cray.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 00:08:58 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;163594
Ever since the iPad announcement, the knives have been out on every forum online that doesn't have a pro-Apple slant to it. Look, I get it. A lot of people are annoyed at the spin factory that is part of the Apple operation and a lot of people even dislike their products for substantial technical reasons. This is all fine. You have every right to your opinion and I completely agree that a lot of Apple stuff is more hype than substance and some of it is even all hype and no substance.

I own a number of Apple products and while I'm no fanboy, it's just tiresome to see every other thread digress into Apple bashing when it's not even relevant. The more it happens, the more it'll attract people who want to flame anything Apple and probably some people who worship the Steve and see it as their religous duty to defend the Apple crest to this site. GeekHack will become just like every other tech discussion site that lost its desire to actually have real discussions. It'll be a bunch of people screaming at each other with the ones who are the most extreme in their positions gaining the most attention. It's poisonous for bashing of any sort to become the way people bond on a site so please give it a rest.

There are plenty of sites that are all about hating Apple, hating Microsoft, hating Linux, hating PCs, hating the Steve, hating the Bill... If this kind of thing makes your **** bigger, go there and you'll have an 80 foot Johnson in a week. Please don't turn this site into another one of those sites.

An in very un-GeekHack like fasion, I'll end by saying "Thank you."

replying belatedly to the original post...

I have a friend who I used to work with who's been an apple guy all his life. I've been a PC guy all my life. We kind of look upon each others world with a mixture of curiosity and suspicion. Every now and then we have huge arguments about whether MS or Apple is less evil (an argument that is, of course, fairly pointless).  Once we had such a bad argument over MS/Apple that we didnt talk for 2 months. Seems pretty silly in retrospect.

I think its because computer familiarity is like learning a first language, and people will always be more familiar with their first language, and their first computing culture, and like ethnicity or religion, will tend to defend it if too harshly attacked.  I just met my friend over the weekend (hadnt seen him in a year) and we promptly had another MS/Apple argument (over the ipad of course).

But we're both older now and thankfully a bit more mature.  I conceded that I'd probably be buying one, and conceded some of its marvelous aspects that MS ought to take inspiration from. He conceded some of its limitations (usb, printing, flash, etc) and conceded Apple today is probably everything he once used to call MS.

Sad thing is, it took us nearly 10 years of arguing this to get to the point where we can diplomatically recognize the other's point of view on this topic.

Still, thats progress I guess.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 01:34:44 »
Quote from: wellington1869;176010
Sad thing is, it took us nearly 10 years of arguing this to get to the point where we can diplomatically recognize the other's point of view on this topic.

Still, thats progress I guess.

That's good to hear for you and your friend. It's all bull**** and totally not worth it. The last time I felt compelled to get all huffy about what was the best computer was when I was 15 and owned an Atari 1040ST and the Atari folks didn't like the Commodore Amiga folks or the PC folks or the Apple folks. That's a lot of people to hate and even if you truly believed you supported the best, it got old to hate the rest of the world.

It's a pile of silica, plastic, metal, and glass. If you have a good experience, feel free to practice unabashed brand loyalty because your time is valuable. There are different reasons for owning hardware and other people have different needs and everything out there exists in an ecosystem. You might not be able to have one without the other(s).

Why am I primarily a Mac user? It's very simple and it's what I tell people when they ask me what kind of computer they should buy. No, I don't tell them buy what I own. I tell them to buy what their friends or closest associates own because they're going to need support and software recommendations. When I had to pack my Atari ST into a box as an artifact, most of my friends owned a Mac so I bought one of those.

Now, hopefully you and your friend don't just start arguing about something else. Maybe you guys just like to debate. ;) As long as it works for both of you, I guess that's ok. I have a friend who's a lawyer and man does that guy just like to argue about anything! It's fun to him.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 14:44:05 »
Quote from: webwit;176041
I agree this discussion is irrelevant. The Amiga was way better. The Atari was like her ugly sister, who no one wants to date. I'll get into more details once I settled the ZX Spectrum/Commodore 64 war.

No it's not! No it's not!

You know, I never realized until the other day that the Atari ST was basically designed by ex-Commodore engineers and that the Amiga was the work of ex-Atari engineers.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 14:56:10 »
Yeah, Apple does make some worthwhile products...

Offline kode

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 23:44:42 »
Quote from: kode;176433
This ripster?

Black n red. Looks like rip to me.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 00:10:45 »
Quote from: Nonmouse;176215
Yeah, Apple does make some worthwhile products...

Show Image

OMG that is great. I have a burned out Mac Mini in my closet, maybe I should do that.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 00:22:44 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;176030
Now, hopefully you and your friend don't just start arguing about something else. Maybe you guys just like to debate. ;) As long as it works for both of you, I guess that's ok. I have a friend who's a lawyer and man does that guy just like to argue about anything! It's fun to him.

yea we tend to 'debate' a bit too much probably :)  If we're not arguing about computers then its politics.  
Funny thing is we're both leftists, but we still find like a 5% difference to fight over :)  Most of the time its just good fun though.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 01:18:28 »
Quote from: wellington1869;176457
yea we tend to 'debate' a bit too much probably :)  If we're not arguing about computers then its politics.  
Funny thing is we're both leftists, but we still find like a 5% difference to fight over :)  Most of the time its just good fun though.

I think you might be friends with the same argument-loving friend of mine. I didn't realize he spent time in NY. ;)
-

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 05:43:59 »

Spec_57

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 07:01:27 »
-

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 14:03:47 »
Quote from: Specter_57;176522

Show Image
Spec_57

For wiping the Crapple off your ass.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 14:08:24 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;176645
For wiping the Crapple off your ass.

That's pretty funny.

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 19:13:09 »
The image in post #140....

I wonder if you could gut out the crap of the original and replace it with a bread toaster....?

and then, I present to you...

"the MACQuarium..."

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=mac+aquarium&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=33zXS7HDPMWqlAeU1cGGBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CBwQsAQwAw

Spec_57

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 19:30:49 »
I prefer the one made out of a PS/2 Model 25.

Apparently IBM even made better fishtanks than Apple ever could.
kishy.ca

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 19:40:21 »
That makes  sense. Apple never beats IBM quality.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 01:01:53 »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 02:12:33 »
Quote from: wellington1869;176766
actual product

Yo Dawg, I put an iPod in your iPoo so you can Mac while you crap!

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 02:47:09 »
NoooooPoooooooo on uuuuuu!

*Its troll week on GH*
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 02:53:06 »
You know it's bad when the OP is trolling his own thread.
-

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 06:52:14 »
I have nothing against Apple. But it's wise to be cautious when someone tries to tempt you with something new.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 09:24:01 »
Quote from: Rajagra;176771
Yo Dawg, I put an iPod in your iPoo so you can Mac while you crap!

Hahahahahahahahaha

I'd like to see an apple ad with a rap in it. The music they play in their ads is SO white trash. Flowers and butterflies and "indy" young women with acoustic guitars in a starbucks singing about love or something.  Blech.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 09:41:19 »
Agreed, the "Apple music" is a strange phase in the history of music. I call it "garbage" since it is...

Of course, about 300% of modern music is garbage anyway, so maybe it's not so bad when put in the context of other "modern music" considering that.

Know what song makes me want to punch random strangers? Feist, anything by Feist, doesn't matter what the song is, she sounds ANNOYING.

Interesting fact: studies were able to confirm that something about the tone and frequency of most female voices makes males very irritated when they hear it.
kishy.ca

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 09:44:07 »
Quote from: wellington1869;176809
I'd like to see an apple ad with a rap in it. The music they play in their ads is SO white trash. Flowers and butterflies and "indy" young women with acoustic guitars in a starbucks singing about love or something.  Blech.

Find an ad from any Fortune 500 company that uses rap for marketing. I can't think of any, but then again the only TV I watch is hockey.
-

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 09:45:32 »
Quote from: kishy;176815

Of course, about 300% of modern music is garbage anyway,

agreed 1000 percent :)

you know which song makes me want to punch strangers? This one in this chrysler ad:

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
[/youtube]

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 09:48:28 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;176818
Find an ad from any Fortune 500 company that uses rap for marketing. I can't think of any, but then again the only TV I watch is hockey.

you're right. The only rap ads i've ever seen on tv are for local companies.

This one comes on late at night here, I always thought it was hilarious. For a local law firm.
>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">
[/youtube]

they have a sequel, too.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 09:52:44 »
MY EARS. MY EARS.

Where's a stranger when you need one?
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 09:55:00 »
Quote from: kishy;176823
MY EARS. MY EARS.

lol

i dont know whats more irritating, that song or a minivan full of self-satisfied bourgeoise women in their 30s.

(yea, she's a milf tho. just a horrible taste in music ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2010, 10:00:30 by wellington1869 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 09:55:39 »
Quote from: kishy;176823

Just sit on your hand for a few minutes and...

Oh, not that "stranger?"

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 10:00:05 »
You know what makes me want to punch strangers in the face?

Strangers.  Strangers and bums.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 10:00:18 »
Quote from: wellington1869;176825
lol

i dont know whats more irritating, that song or a minivan full of self-satisfied bourgeoise women in their 30s.

Both. They are both equally more annoying than each other.

Quote from: itlnstln;176826
Just sit on your hand for a few minutes and...

Oh, not that "stranger?"

i lol'd
kishy.ca

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 10:00:56 »
Ripster...I will debox your NIB keyboards if you don't stop.
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 10:06:45 »
OMG, so thats feist! OMG, I hate feist.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 10:25:55 »
>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]

There was once a time you could find a bunch of ZZ Top vids on YouTube. Unfortunately very few are left...
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 10:28:00 »
there was a time when indy was cool...

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 11:11:16 »
I think the Macintosh is a nice wonderful computer. It would be good if it were more successful, so that Microsoft faced real competition.

As for the iPad, though, while I'm sure that some people will find a use for it, the App Store issue has basically scared me away. If I'm going to pay for a computer, I want a computer.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 12:43:35 »
why cant kids like this get record deals or ads?

I dont know if anyone here watched the PBS multi-part documentary called "Carrier". It was a week they spent on an aircraft carrier in the persian gulf, following the grunts around, documenting their daily lives. Absolutely fantastic documentary. This song was sung on the show by one of the grunts from hawaii playing just a ukulele.  

This is a PBS-edited music video. They did a terrific job.

>
[/youtube]

The poor kid is probably working in a 7-11 somewhere now.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 13:00:38 »
whats your favorite non-mainstream or local band?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 13:04:32 »
I like Zero7, but their latest album was a little weak.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 13:35:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;176907
I like Zero7, but their latest album was a little weak.

ah, a sampling: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=zero7
of course my speakers decided to stop working. Dang, i'll have to reboot. SHould have bought a mac. :-P

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 14:00:37 »
God damn it, I laughed at your sig welly. How long's it been like that without me noticing?

Problem with laughing: I'm at work.

BTW I had a similar no-sound issue with my old desktop. Never did figure out what caused it, but I suspected it to be hardware level. It was a SiS AC'97 something-or-other, 7012 maybe?
kishy.ca

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 14:10:42 »
Quote from: ripster;176928
Welly is a master of juvenile sigs.  ItlnStln and I were on it for the longest time.

That's an actual quote of mine, however.
kishy.ca