Author Topic: Leopold FC 660M + OS X Mavericks  (Read 8898 times)

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Leopold FC 660M + OS X Mavericks
« on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 08:51:20 »
As I've stated in a few other threads, I've pretty much abandoned my extensive keyboard collection for the Leopold FC 660 keyboards since April.  The layout is so perfect for me, and I'm as much in love today as ever.  I've actually been favoring the FC 660M (with Cherry switches) for the past couple months over the Topre. 

The problem:
I upgraded to Mavericks last week and something weird happens.  When I touch the Fn key, any mouse drag events in progress are canceled.  It's not super common to do such a thing, but for me at least, it ruins a lot of common tasks.  It's strange because presumably the Fn shouldn't be sending any signal to the computer, right?  Any ideas?

Interestingly, this doesn't apply to the FC 660C, so I suppose they handle the firmware differently.

I'm curious if any other Mac users with the FC 660M have similar issues?

UPDATE:
Turned out it was KeyRemap4MacBook, and there is a fix.

« Last Edit: Tue, 12 November 2013, 13:02:00 by aggiejy »

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: Leopold FC 660M + OS X Mavericks
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 12:26:51 »
not being real familiar with the FC660 ... is your mouse plugged into the keyboard's USB hub?
If you do the keyboard combo first, can you still drag while holding the Fn key? Or if you just press Fn first, click/drag, then the other (now modified) key?
Have you tried re-seating either of the peripheral's USB cables? Or, y'know, rebooting? ;)

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline alex4nder

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:12:14 »
I'm curious if any other Mac users with the FC 660M have similar issues?

I couldn't reproduce this behavior.  I have a 2013 MBA running Mavericks with a FC660M, and I tested this with the built-in touchpad and an external USB mouse.    My FC660M was identified as a generic ANSI keyboard, and all of the keyboard's DIP switches were set to off.

I also did a quick test under Linux.  Pressing the FN key didn't register as a key event, even when dumping directly from the kernel's keyboard event interface.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 11:06:00 »
To be clear, I'm not seeing any key events either.  If I hold down Fn before clicking and dragging, it works fine.  If however I am in the process of dragging a window, tapping the Fn key then cancels the window drag. This happens on two different Macs running Mavericks. If no one else can reproduce, perhaps it's my board.  That just sounds strange though. :'-(

Offline alex4nder

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 18:29:24 »
To be clear, I'm not seeing any key events either.

Got it, and I'm not talking about seeing a key being pressed.  I'm talking about reading keyboard events (even hidden ones) directly from the Linux kernel's key event interface.  I didn't break out a USB sniffer, but I'm pretty sure the FN key isn't being seen by the underlying OS.

If I hold down Fn before clicking and dragging, it works fine.  If however I am in the process of dragging a window, tapping the Fn key then cancels the window drag. This happens on two different Macs running Mavericks. If no one else can reproduce, perhaps it's my board.  That just sounds strange though. :'-(

That's what I tested on Mavericks.  Mine doesn't do that.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 19:43:05 »
Oh wow I still have lion.. good luck sir! how is mavericks?

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 20:07:12 »
I dont have that problem on my mac

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 12:32:07 »
I've gotten some reports of keyboard flaky-ness with Mavericks.  For example, keyboard shortcuts done on the numberpad vs. the main keyboard number keys are now treated as different.

That aside, I could see how the problem you're having could happen if you have a high-power device (e.g., hard drive) sharing the bus.

Probably your best course of action is to contact Leopold or their exclusive distributor in the US (elitekeyboards.com).

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 11:53:38 »
Just a quick update that I've found my problem.  I plugged the keyboard into a 3rd Mac and there was no issue.  I then realized that I had KeyRemap4MacBook installed on both of the problem computers. Sure enough, uninstalling fixes the issue.

So now my only problem is I don't have a way to map print, scroll lock, and pause to volume like I want.  Hmm...

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 12:13:38 »
Just a quick update that I've found my problem.  I plugged the keyboard into a 3rd Mac and there was no issue.  I then realized that I had KeyRemap4MacBook installed on both of the problem computers. Sure enough, uninstalling fixes the issue.

So now my only problem is I don't have a way to map print, scroll lock, and pause to volume like I want.  Hmm...

have you tried USB Overdrive to Map the keys?

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 14:21:28 »
I tried to come up with a solution for key remapping without keyremap4macbook when i had the model f, and was trying to edit the keylayout file. I never got it to work but it might be worth a shot with your leopold.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 20:17:30 »
I'm using this currently, and it works fine for what I need to do.  It does need to be running to remap shortcuts though, so I'm not sure what drawbacks there might be. http://www.boastr.de

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 12:56:49 »
Update

The awesome creator of KeyRemap4MacBook (Takayama Fumihiko) was kind enough to apply a special fix for this keyboard.

If anyone happens to have the same issue, be sure to install the beta (until it goes into the live channel).  I'm so happy about this!  Great to see someone like that help out with the niche community of keyboard fanatics. I just donated again, and I hope others will too.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 18:20:18 »
^ Awesome!

Be even better if they heard about the problem from GH.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 21:55:40 »
Not exactly... I pinged him.  But, squeaky wheel gets the grease. :)

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/keyremap4macbook/AN8hgpSOGU8/discussion