Author Topic: Detachable USB Cable Mod  (Read 3618 times)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Detachable USB Cable Mod
« on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 12:59:28 »
I've managed to replace the standard USB cable with my Noppoo Choc Mini and I've replaced it with a USB mini port , where I can attach any old USB to USB mini cable.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 32794[/ATTACH] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 32795[/ATTACH] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 32796[/ATTACH] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 32797[/ATTACH]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 37786[/ATTACH] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 37787[/ATTACH] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 37788[/ATTACH]

Soon after reaching this point, I was mounting the port to the case using super glue and some of the glue got in the port so I have to wire up a new one. Super glue is horrible stuff.

Used hot glue to mount the new port to the case, which I had drilled/carved a hole into.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline whiskerBox

Detachable USB Cable Mod
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 21:04:23 »
Nice I have been wanting to do this mod with my Filco for awhile! Wish I had an idea about how to attach the port to the case, but good luck.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline weenis

Detachable USB Cable Mod
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 21:09:08 »
Quick dry Gorilla Glue, then Sugru after the super glue dries. If you sugru it pretty heavy, about a 1/4" away from the edge of the male end, on the inside of the case, about 1/4-3/8" thick, it will not only help the wires, but it will bond to the case and keep it from pushing in.

That should do the trick.

http://www.sugru.com
Dell AT101W | Unicomp Spacesaver PC | IBM SpaceSaver Keyboard | IBM Black Label M | KBT Oni Brown | Leopold Otaku Brown | Noppoo Choc Mini Brown | IKBC F104 Brown

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Detachable USB Cable Mod
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 November 2011, 21:48:21 »
Quote from: whiskerBox;458569
Nice I have been wanting to do this mod with my Filco for awhile! Wish I had an idea about how to attach the port to the case, but good luck.

My friend has suggested Hot Glue gun. I think that works, it was just the lab I was using ran out...so chose the alternative (super glue). It is super ineffective and breaks things.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Detachable USB Cable Mod
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 December 2011, 12:47:27 »
Epoxy? I use it as well as hot glue for my projects. Depending on space i would make a small bracket out of metal that I'd epoxy the connector to and then bolt to the PCB? It sounds quite gruesome though, but most of my projects are. :biggrin: