Author Topic: Terms of Engagement or Geekhack Posting Protocol  (Read 11118 times)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Terms of Engagement or Geekhack Posting Protocol
« on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 21:00:30 »
Over the years, I've had the pleasure of being part of this keyboard forum. I've appreciated the talent and have been impressed with the overall quality of the people who visit this site. I've appreciated the oversight provided by the moderators and the charter that Geekhack was founded upon. I believe it has made Geekhack a polite and friendly place, both for those who enjoy this hobby and also the visitors who are seeking answers to keyboard problems.

I want to address the subject of the appropriate behavior we should exhibit, particularly in potentially controversial subject matter in off topics.

Let me say first, I really enjoy discussing potentially volatile subjects like politics, religion, and social issues. It's not that I like heated or explosive encounters, but the subjects that can elicit such responses are also the ones that are often foundational to our understanding of our world view. We discuss these things  to help make sense of the world. Often times my own faulty thinking is exposed by another's perspective and I benefit from it. That is what a good argument is all about; gaining full understanding and distilling the truth from disordered information. I hesitate to initiate subjects like this because it's unpredictable what kind of life they will take on but I do sometimes participate if I think one side is being unfairly or under represented. I think that it is crucial to remember that GH is first and foremost a keyboard site. Any subject might be allowed, as long as it is not harmful to the welfare of this site.

A part of me would like to be safe and ban any non keyboard related talk here. I casually mentioned that to someone at Keycon last year and I found his comment  enlightening. He said that if we didn't have an off topic category, people's opinions would just spill into other threads. After all, people have to get things off their chests. I agree with the wisdom in that. So with that in mind, what are the best guidelines to allow spirited discussions without jeopardizing the esprit de corps of the GH membership?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Terms of Engagement or Geekhack Posting Protocol
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 21:15:09 »
I don't know the answer to your question, but I think it's an interesting one.

In my opinion, disallowing any and all off topic discussion from a keyboard-related topic will turn geekhack into something other than it currently is (for better or worse). I think that the "banter" that occurs here is what sets us apart from Deskthority, for example. DT is a huge wealth of knowledge, and an excellent place for all-keyboard-all-the-time discussion - but one visit will reveal the pace at which the forum operates; it's noticeably slower than here. Now that could be a good thing. If you want the most information in the least amount of time, that's probably preferred. But I find a lot of value in the "filler" conversations contributing to this being more than a keyboard forum, and approaching a full-on community that is centered around keyboards.

What is the best way to operate the site? I don't know. What level of this banter should be allowed? I don't know. I don't know that anyone other than iMav can really answer that. I do know how we are currently moderating and how I would like the moderation to be, but that's about it.

What are you hoping to see come out of this post, plop?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 21:27:52 »
For the most part, this place send to police itself pretty well.

In the recent thread about Christianity, we saw some really good discussion, then one guy showed up with a chip on his shoulder and tried to flamebait the Christians in the thread. What I thought was cool, though, is that nobody took the bait, and among the people who jumped in to steer the topic back on course, at least one of them had earlier posted (respectfully) critical opinions about the church. But the point was not the opinion, it was the tone and the attitude with which it was offered. Maintain respect, stay on topic, and you preserve the integrity of the discussion even when you disagree.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 21:31:39 »
Well there are options?

DT, geekhack, Reddit

They all serve their own purposes.

I like geekhack how it is. trolls and all.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 21:34:53 »
Well there are options?

DT, geekhack, Reddit

They all serve their own purposes.

I like geekhack how it is. trolls and all.
Trolls are okay, when they're annoying but not hateful.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline kurplop

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 21:42:46 »
Overall, I think that the mods have practiced good discretion and I can only think of a few times when things got out of control. I remember one member got picked on mercilessly about a year or so ago. It was like a bunch of hens pecking at a weak runt.  I remember trying to contact a mod to report the abuse but before I could the site was shut down. I think that's evidence of the potential for misconduct and also good judgement by moderation team.

I think I raised this issue because at times I've wanted to contribute to a heated subject but was afraid I could further escalate it. I guess I want to know the rules for my own interactions.

Ultimately, I think the greatest good is met when we all put the good of others above making fun of another's deeply held convictions, making some brilliant point or firing off some callous joke. Don't confuse what I'm saying with the type of fun bantering that tends,instead, to bond us tighter together. I'm certainly not advocating for some solemn, boring and dead conversation, wrung dry of anything worthy of interest.  People are more important than arguments, more important than winning an argument, and even more important than ideas.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 21:55:06 »
What would SmallFry do?

How might Alessandro's life have been changed if we as a community had been more forgiving of his "faults."

These are things I think of sometimes.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline kurplop

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 22:05:59 »
What would SmallFry do?

How might Alessandro's life have been changed if we as a community had been more forgiving of his "faults."

I think your comments embody the spirit I think is in many of our members. It would be great to see it spread throughout GH.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 22:07:35 »
The off topic banter is what makes a community of people, not just a question/answer keyboard forum.

I'm a member of a bunch of programming forums or mailing lists, and they are 99% ON topic.  Question, answers, end of discussion.

At least here you can go into "other geeky stuff" and ask technical, but non-keyboard-related, questions, or into "off topic" to chew the cud with other members.

Unfortunately conversations do go off the rails, quite often the person responsible is having a bad day, or someone touched a nerve, or just a noob who posted the wrong thing at the wrong time in the wrong place.

Usually we get over that.

Then there are the real community builders, like the Destiny thread, and various giveaways, that help people unwind or contribute in other areas that might interest them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 22:21:59 »
What would SmallFry do?

JD you are a great example of a Geekhacker: someone with strong opinions, and you're not afraid to share them, even at the risk of sounding harsh at times. But when it's something more important than keyboard stuff, when it comes down to people and relationships, you are always kind, respectful and generous.

My boards:
More

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 22:58:16 »
**** it
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 00:55:29 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 23:16:51 »
i dont care for keyboards anymore, aside from my hhkb. if there was no off topic i'd probably leave already.

We have all noticed you demik.  The only reason why I am saying anything now is because of the participation of members being a positive thing, and recently you have deliberately disrupted many constructive conversations in many threads.

There are other hobbies we all have.  In our pursuits of our interests, sometimes a great discussion comes from it.  Maybe you just need a break?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 23:26:54 »
**** it
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 00:53:35 by demik »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 23:37:12 »
I have to agree with Rowdy here.
Keyboards aren't what we should all revolve around.
Rather, the subject of "keyboards" is what binds us together as a community; a common ground which we can all relate to.

Not everything has to be related to keyboards.
Though, if you only want to see keyboard related things, then what is the issue with ignoring off-topic threads?
Are you really that annoyed by something that you don't bother to read; and, if it does annoy you, then why would you reading it?

A simple syllogism to help you:
I do not read things I detest.
I detest x topic.
Therefore, I do not read threads of x topics.
Plain and simple.

Besides, if no one spoke of off-topic subjects, do you realise how much less lively it would become in here?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 23:39:13 »
i dont care for keyboards anymore, aside from my hhkb. if there was no off topic i'd probably leave already.

We have all noticed you demik.  The only reason why I am saying anything now is because of the participation of members being a positive thing, and recently you have deliberately disrupted many constructive conversations in many threads.

There are other hobbies we all have.  In our pursuits of our interests, sometimes a great discussion comes from it.  Maybe you just need a break?

i rarely ever post outside of off topic. are you asking me to leave the site?

You might be the first person to find their end game keyboard!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 00:15:25 »
**** it
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 00:53:27 by demik »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 00:28:59 »

it found me tbh

How sweet ;D

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 01:04:00 »

you know what, you're completely right. i think my time here has come to a close.

later.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 01:46:50 »

Oh, my gosh. I think you're right. It seems he found it and left.

I don't have HHKB yet. Now I'm scared to get one.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 02:04:44 »

I don't have HHKB yet. Now I'm scared to get one.

Can confirm HHKB is bliss, don't be afraid come to the light. ALL IS WELL.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 02:39:07 »

I do not believe that the one event is a direct consequence of the other.

Edit: Speeling.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:11:09 by rowdy »

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 06:40:29 »
I'm not sure what the rules about everything should be, but I do know that what sets this place apart from being any other forum is that we can have meaningful  (and sometimes not so meaningful) conversations about life, love, regret and happiness.

As much as being able to contribute with knowledge of keyboards is critical to this place, so are the myriad of personalities that make and keep this place human. In my mind one is not greater than the other to the experience here.

You guys might see certain members as a pain in the ass, or maybe not posting anything of informative value. Those people might also be the very ones that make this a community instead of just a keyboard forum.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 07:26:08 »
The off topic banter is what makes a community of people, not just a question/answer keyboard forum.

Keyboards aren't what we should all revolve around.
Rather, the subject of "keyboards" is what binds us together as a community; a common ground which we can all relate to.

I'm not sure what the rules about everything should be, but I do know that what sets this place apart from being any other forum is that we can have meaningful  (and sometimes not so meaningful) conversations about life, love, regret and happiness.

As much as being able to contribute with knowledge of keyboards is critical to this place, so are the myriad of personalities that make and keep this place human. In my mind one is not greater than the other to the experience here.

You guys might see certain members as a pain in the ass, or maybe not posting anything of informative value. Those people might also be the very ones that make this a community instead of just a keyboard forum.

Totally in agreement with this stuff.

I like keyboard talk, but I love the relationships on here. Come for keyboards, stay for the community.

I'm a huge participant in off-topic posting in and outside of the OT section. If a thread gets slightly derailed and it is entertaining, run with it then make an attempt to get it back on topic while doing so.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 17:56:02 »
No.  Let's not start restricting speech and hope that reason wins out.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing