Author Topic: Keycap Flocking Experiment  (Read 101788 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Keycap Flocking Experiment
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 10:43:28 »
Here's one of the orange rayon flocked spacebars on my Ducky:

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

And this morning I flocked white nylon (slightly longer fibers) to see if there's a better "pile" on them.

^^ those bottom one's are snow caps!

That orange looks like it is waiting for some fingers to come take a nap.

Have I mentioned how insanely cool I think flocked key caps are!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 11:26:15 »

Thank you, sir.

How's the ganja cap?  :p

EDIT: *gasp* "SNOCAPS!"
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2013, 11:30:49 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 11:28:09 »

Thank you, sir.

How's the ganja cap?  :p

I find myself touching it often, I actually use 'esc' quite a bit to cancel commands...

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 13:05:21 »
They're not done curing completely, but after a few hours under the heat lamps, I've just brushed my finger over the new, nylon flocked keycaps --- very nice! The extra length did give them a better pile.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #204 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 14:41:13 »
44792-044795-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2013, 14:42:59 by Krogenar »
More

Offline stancato9

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:56:39 »
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 06:26:38 »

That cap reminds me of Christmas time.

Thanks! I'm not sure how it looks on your monitor, but it's not as brilliant a white as seen in the photos. It's got a creamier sort of color.
More

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #207 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 06:47:25 »
OMG these caps look sooooo awesome! Great job!
What the hell am I even doing

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #208 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 06:49:41 »

Thanks! There are a limited number of BS spacebars available on techkeys.us -- also some MX stuff, single unit keys. I'm really, really liking the nylon. I'm doing a big run of these on Friday (warmest day this week remaining in NYC) and letting them cure over the weekend.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 06:51:34 by Krogenar »
More

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 06:54:00 »

Thanks! There are a limited number of BS spacebars available on techkeys.us -- also some MX stuff, single unit keys. I'm really, really liking the nylon. I'm doing a big run of these on Friday (warmest day this week remaining in NYC) and letting them cure over the weekend.  :thumb:
Yeah i saw them since day one on the website and i follow this thread since day one too. Sadly the total cost of the caps (+shipping) is way out of my range but i support you and i wish you good luck with this!
What the hell am I even doing

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:09:21 »

That cap reminds me of Christmas time.

Thanks! I'm not sure how it looks on your monitor, but it's not as brilliant a white as seen in the photos. It's got a creamier sort of color.

I would have a hard time resisting the urge to eat that one.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:25:56 »
Here are better photos of the white, compared to unflocked white keycaps:

44888-044890-144892-2

More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #212 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:44:24 »
Krog any thoughts on flocking fibers getting into switches?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #213 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 08:31:59 »
Krog any thoughts on flocking fibers getting into switches?

I've had no issues at all, and I've probably had more flocked keycaps/spacebars than anyone else. The flocking itself resembles (and behaves) like a very fine dust. Which means it cleans up just as dust would -- a vacuum.

I pass each key over a shop vac after a few days to suck off any excess fibers. This is after I gently tap off the excess that will fall off. The suction is so strong that I've actually had a few keys get sucked in -- they survive their adventure unharmed. The fibers don't really seem to come off. The hurdle I had to overcome was getting the undercoating to resist fingernail removal. That's been solved with roughening/cleaning the surface. I thought it was a priming issue -- it was not. Even then, removing the undercoating with a fingernail or a tool takes the flocking with it .

As for flocking coming off the keycaps during usage, I don't think it's a problem. Flocking fibers are used on automobiles, and are highly resistant to wear. Here'a video from a UK company that flocks automobiles.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=323931367737101&set=vb.121796507950589&type=3&theater

It's a video of a flocked car hood being washed.

Also, these fibers are very, very small -- your own body cruft, dandruff, is probably larger. So even if you did have an issue, a quick vacuum (probably what keyboard hobbyists already do normally) would remove any stray fibers. I haven't had an issue with fibers coming loose from keycaps. I even soaked one of my orange keycaps in undiluted turpentine and nothing came off. I removed flocking once from a metal keycap using turpentine, but it required a soak and brush, and another soaking.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #214 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 15:00:39 »
Snowy!

45343-0
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 08:09:39 »
Just so people know, if you want to give MX Snowball Flocked keycaps a try, this batch is available for sale here.
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 08:11:39 »
Krog...I...errr...misplaced that key I was going to send you to flock for me...when I find it I'll let you know.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 08:38:02 »
These are awesome - I'm using one now and it feels so good!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 08:53:28 »
Krog...I...errr...misplaced that key I was going to send you to flock for me...when I find it I'll let you know.

(stares at the postbox)

Sure, Ray, I get it.

I kid. No worries -- I'm not flocking around until the springtime anyway. The humidity and temperature are ALL WRONG right now. Also, I've got a few new idea on how to improve my flocking. I'm going to stop using skids altogether and suspend the caps in the air (chopstick painting, woohoo!) or figure out a way to use the skids, but keep the keycaps from resting on them. Also, I might try my hand at building a flocking cabinet, because the larger runs left me literally (proper use of the word, in this instance) covered in flocking fibers.

I highly recommend trying out the white flocked keycaps -- they're my best so far. Nylon fibers on those and slightly longer.

Which one are you using Boiler? The orange one, or the white one?
More

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 13:13:41 »
I really like the white one

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 06:37:56 »
I don't think I posted this, but I discovered two things about my latest nylon white flocked spacebars.

1. They get dirty. Finger oil, dust and dirt make them 'grey' or worse over time.
2. A little hand soap and some gentle washing will remove the discoloration!

63681-063683-1

More

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #221 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 09:08:01 »
Good to know!  I've been using mine for a few months now and there is a little dirt accumulation on the left side where my left thumb hits it...I was actually kinda liking the discoloration, but I might try this out.

I can't say enough how much I love a fuzzy spacebar under my thumb!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 09:15:15 »
Good to know!  I've been using mine for a few months now and there is a little dirt accumulation on the left side where my left thumb hits it...I was actually kinda liking the discoloration, but I might try this out.

I can't say enough how much I love a fuzzy spacebar under my thumb!

I was just amazed at how utterly filthy my thumb gets. LOL, glad you're still enjoying the spacebar. I've got to get started on a new enclosure, something a bit more permanent.
More