Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3511677 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #2000 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:11:02 »
What's the cheapest/convenient option for effectively lubing my new ergo-clears? I don't have time/money to track down some Krytox 103 and I only plan on lubing my own board.

Use Krytox 205 grease for the stems and Victorinox multi tool oil for the springs. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dadgh

« Reply #2001 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:27:49 »
What's the cheapest/convenient option for effectively lubing my new ergo-clears? I don't have time/money to track down some Krytox 103 and I only plan on lubing my own board.

Use Krytox 205 grease for the stems and Victorinox multi tool oil for the springs. :)
Thank you! I just put in an order on Amazon. I'm going to have a very large project for this weekend  ^-^

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2002 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:40:44 »

Thank you! I just put in an order on Amazon. I'm going to have a very large project for this weekend  ^-^

did amazon have the victorinox multi tool oil? my searchfu is week today.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2003 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:43:23 »

I couldn't find any there, either.

Here are a couple eBay links:

Krytox GPL 205

Victorinox Multi Tool Oil
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #2004 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:45:34 »
Does anyone here own the RF numpad? Is it worth it?

Offline dadgh

« Reply #2005 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:58:39 »

No I got that on eBay a few days ago.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2006 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 12:18:15 »

The_Beast has the one I want. I want to know the answer to this as well.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #2007 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 12:26:36 »
How can I disassemble a Quickfire TK? It appears it has 4 screws + 1 warranty screw, removed, but it appears it has clips holding the cap internally. Well on the top-right and left corners they are VERY firm. I tried a credit card and some force and it appears almost at breaking point. Do I miss something?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2008 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 12:32:24 »
How can I disassemble a Quickfire TK? It appears it has 4 screws + 1 warranty screw, removed, but it appears it has clips holding the cap internally. Well on the top-right and left corners they are VERY firm. I tried a credit card and some force and it appears almost at breaking point. Do I miss something?

http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Spudger/IF145-002

I use this for disassembling most anything...I have no personal experience with the tk but I'm sure someone will chime in that has.

Might try to 'wiggle' the card where you think the case is snapped together and it might loosen it up.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2009 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 12:41:21 »

My credit card was almost at a 45-50 degree angle before I got the snaps on my Filco to unhook. I really had to fight it before I got it undone. And my Filco had 4 screws in the back which held the back together and 4 snaps in front which unhooked the front end. I have pictures/writeup in my Wiki (see my signature) if you wanted to see how I opened my board.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #2010 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 12:57:43 »
http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Spudger/IF145-002

I use this for disassembling most anything...I have no personal experience with the tk but I'm sure someone will chime in that has.

Might try to 'wiggle' the card where you think the case is snapped together and it might loosen it up.

My credit card was almost at a 45-50 degree angle before I got the snaps on my Filco to unhook. I really had to fight it before I got it undone. And my Filco had 4 screws in the back which held the back together and 4 snaps in front which unhooked the front end. I have pictures/writeup in my Wiki (see my signature) if you wanted to see how I opened my board.

It's just ridiculous. I've put tons of force after half-prying the bottom corner up, no go. I tried going directly to the top corner (either), with tons of force, while the rest is closed, nothing. It's almost like screws are holding them (those top corners of the cap) but I doubt there're any under the rubber feet. I feel like a bit more force might break something.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #2011 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:00:55 »
I've found a youtube part showing the "corner"  :)) but it's in an Asian language.

Though he appears to probably say "that corner sucks"  :cool:

hd=1

[PS. I've not opened it that far at all. I haven't seen the clip.]

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2012 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:41:09 »
According to this:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34373.30

There's one screw under the sticker and 4 plastic tabs to unlock.

EDIT: My bad--you're talking about the TK, not Rapid.  My older rubber dome keyboards had screws under rubber feet / pads.  You could try peeling them off--they are usually easy to stick back on. (Just to check).
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:54:18 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #2013 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:46:29 »
TK has at least four more screws.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2014 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:51:18 »
Why dont you attach a picture of the bottom and sides so that people can help you like that. I know personally I've never even seen TK in real life.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #2015 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:54:39 »
D'oh, the corner from the Chinese video is from the bottom part. I'll stop trying for now. I'll wait for more public reviews from experts on it.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2016 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 13:59:39 »
I don't think they're coming... The TK has been out for awhile, and many people have chosen not to pick it up for one reason or another. You should really just go for it and don't be scared. Even if you break a tab or something, the screws will hold it together just fine.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2017 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:08:20 »

May I ask why you suggest Victorinox for the springs as opposed to, say, the Krytox 205?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2018 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:33:20 »
What do you think the chances are of Ducky offering MX White switches (not clear) for its full-size range? Have there been any talks of them venturing out of the standard switches?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2019 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:34:54 »
From what I can tell, they're venturing out, but not to anything that isn't more popular, like Clears and Greens. Whites seem to be difficult to come by as it is. Maybe that's because someone has bought them all up? I don't know. But I imagine they'd be TKL more than anything, if they did so.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2020 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:36:46 »
What do you think the chances are of Ducky offering MX White switches (not clear) for its full-size range? Have there been any talks of them venturing out of the standard switches?

From what I can tell, they're venturing out, but not to anything that isn't more popular, like Clears and Greens. Whites seem to be difficult to come by as it is. Maybe that's because someone has bought them all up? I don't know. But I imagine they'd be TKL more than anything, if they did so.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=466

^^ I am very much considering getting this when they come in  8)

Show Image
Ducky
Ducky #05211307
ETA: June 11th - June 18th, 2013
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Grey keycaps (Black Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Multi keycaps (Black Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Multi keycaps (Black Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Grey keycaps (Brown Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Multi keycaps (Brown Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Multi keycaps (Brown Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Grey keycaps (Blue Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Multi keycaps (Blue Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Multi keycaps (Blue Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Grey keycaps (Green Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Grey keycaps (Dark Grey Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Grey keycaps (Red Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Multi keycaps (Red Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Multi keycaps (Red Cherry MX) **New**
Show Image
Keyboard Pic
DK9008G2 PRO PBT Grey keycaps (White Cherry MX) **New**

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2021 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:38:02 »

May I ask why you suggest Victorinox for the springs as opposed to, say, the Krytox 205?

I just think oil coats a spring better than grease. And Victorinox oil is cheaper than Krytox, by a fair amount.

in memoriam

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2022 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:39:46 »
@moose Ah yeah that's what I was guessing. Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and look at custom options.

@ray4jc Yeah I've seen those but I am pretty sure this is an extension of MK.com's previous clear-to-white translation errors. As we've seen in the past all the Ducky keyboards they have listed as MX White have turned out to be MX Clears. I could be wrong though.

Thank you!

Edit: Congrats on 4000 posts Moose!

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #2023 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:40:31 »

I might just have to buy one!

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #2024 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:41:34 »
F&^k My Life. QF TK has screws under the rubber feet. Spread it to the interwebs. I'm sure more disassembly reviews will pop up once they realize this. ;D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2025 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:43:19 »
@moose Ah yeah that's what I was guessing. Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and look at custom options.

@ray4jc Yeah I've seen those but I am pretty sure this is an extension of MK.com's previous clear-to-white translation errors. As we've seen in the past all the Ducky keyboards they have listed as MX White have turned out to be MX Clears. I could be wrong though.

Thank you!

Well hopefully this one actually has white switches :p

I might just have to buy one!

do it!! then post a review.

F&^k My Life. QF TK has screws under the rubber feet. Spread it to the interwebs. I'm sure more disassembly reviews will pop up once they realize this. ;D

yeah i wanted to say look under the feet but then if you would have taken them off and nothing would have been there  ::)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2026 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:43:52 »

Thank you!

If I had to bet money, I'd wager that was probably what's happening. Until they actually receive the items and verify with their own eyes, we're sort of left at the mercy of being lost in translation.

And thanks, man!

And thanks for the answer, jd. I'll have to pick some up then.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #2027 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:45:27 »
yeah i wanted to say look under the feet but then if you would have taken them off and nothing would have been there  ::)
Luckily, only half of them can be pried open so they don't come off.  :cool:

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #2028 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:49:03 »
What kind of household item can I use to clean the surface of a circuit? This TK is acting up and I see some mild dirt on it from assembly.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2029 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:51:46 »
Maybe make a new thread for these QF TK questions? Others might find the info useful.

in memoriam

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #2030 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:52:49 »
Maybe make a new thread for these QF TK questions? Others might find the info useful.
ok

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2031 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 14:55:37 »
Luckily, only half of them can be pried open so they don't come off.  :cool:

Also take picks so others can see what you did and how to do it!!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2032 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:07:34 »

Please do this!

Offline superuser

« Reply #2033 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:14:56 »
Is the escape key on a HHKB2 a different shape than other similar sized keys?  I would like to use a red blank in replace of the standard function key.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2034 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:17:18 »
Oh, yeah. The Fn key will be a different profile than the Esc key. You'd need one made for that key.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=hh_redarrow

You could buy a set of these, and then use the down arrow as the Fn key?
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:20:01 by esoomenona »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2035 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:19:40 »

Thank you!

If I had to bet money, I'd wager that was probably what's happening. Until they actually receive the items and verify with their own eyes, we're sort of left at the mercy of being lost in translation.

This is what I don't understand--shouldn't it be possible to contact Ducky for a detailed description and proper switch name?  They should know if it's "milk" or "white" or what not.  They can even probably describe if it's a clicky switch.  Why does it have to be guesswork :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2036 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:22:41 »
You can contact them yourself or MK.com and let us know what you find?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2037 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:23:31 »

Tried a MK rep on this site, but he's been absent for over a week (maybe a vacation), so no word back.  I'll try contacting Ducky directly, because I want to buy one of those PBT boards if it has MX Clears.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2038 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:25:12 »

Tried a MK rep on this site, but he's been absent for over a week (maybe a vacation), so no word back.  I'll try contacting Ducky directly, because I want to buy one of those PBT boards if it has MX Clears.

yeah the mk.com reps don't come here very often. you can email them at support@mechanicalkeyboards.com

Offline superuser

« Reply #2039 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:33:18 »
Oh, yeah. The Fn key will be a different profile than the Esc key. You'd need one made for that key.

Thanks for the reply.  I was really only hoping for blank.

However, would those arrow keys fit the arrow key (sub layer) of the HHKB?  I wouldn't mind doing that.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2040 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:35:09 »
Just e-mailed Ducky directly, being very detailed and providing a photo of a Clear switch next to a White switch (from Deskthority wiki), trying to be as comprehensive as possible.  Hope to hear back!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2041 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:36:02 »
Just e-mailed Ducky directly, being very detailed and providing a photo of a Clear switch next to a White switch (from Deskthority wiki), trying to be as comprehensive as possible.  Hope to hear back!

the easiest for me when asking someone is mentioning the white switch has a 'bump' on it...not sure of the technical term

interested to hear what they have to say  8)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2042 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:36:52 »

Thanks for the reply.  I was really only hoping for blank.

However, would those arrow keys fit the arrow key (sub layer) of the HHKB?  I wouldn't mind doing that.

I don't think so. IIRC, the arrow key sublayer for the HHKB is on the [;'/ keys. Those are three different profiles. But I have seen people with caps there. Whether they were mismatched in profile or they found them somewhere else, I don't know.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2043 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:37:18 »

the easiest for me when asking someone is mentioning the white switch has a 'bump' on it...not sure of the technical term

Yep, I've included that too: tactile bump and click vs. tactile bump and no click.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2044 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:38:03 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2045 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:40:27 »

yeah the mk.com reps don't come here very often. you can email them at support@mechanicalkeyboards.com

ShakeR is an MK.com rep (owner). But I know he's busy. You can also try their sub-forum or PMs. I'm not actually sure how active he is though.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2046 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:44:22 »

ShakeR is an MK.com rep (owner). But I know he's busy. You can also try their sub-forum or PMs. I'm not actually sure how active he is though.

last time I pm'ed him he said he isn't here much just to email them, that was the best way to get a hold of them  8)

Yep, I've included that too: tactile bump and click vs. tactile bump and no click.

no I mean literally on one leg of the switch their is a raised bump on the white switch :p

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2047 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:45:32 »

As per this thread, they won't know until the keyboards arrive, so I decided to try being more proactive:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41372.30
(reply #48)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #2048 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:46:00 »
for mechnicalkeyboards.com this thread is very useful.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38000.0

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2049 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:47:32 »

As per this thread, they won't know until the keyboards arrive, so I decided to try being more proactive:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41372.30
(reply #48)

so then I guess that means we wait  ???