Author Topic: [GB] Cherry MX Silent Black Switches - Shipping Update  (Read 110468 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [GB] Cherry MX Silent Black Switches - Shipping Update
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 18:19:09 »
Show Image

Hopefully I get them before Christmas?

I will be shipping them out ASAP.  I don't want to go so far as saying definitely but with just under 5 weeks until Christmas I would say there's a good chance of everyone gettign these in time for Christmas. Shipping companies may have other ideas however.

Any region(s) first? UK is pretty much next day, so not too worried, but would be nice ;)

Too much effort to go by region.

I'll be sending out to NovelKeys first and the going in the order that the switches were paid for. seems to be the fairest way to me. For reference Order #00222 was the first Silent Black order. You should be able to use that as a rough gauge for when yours will be shipped. although there are normal orders in among all the GB ones so not 1:1. :D

Ah that's fair :)

No idea what my number is as someone bought them for me, so hopefully it isn't too bad. :p

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #201 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 18:35:44 »
As soon as I get my switches in, I will try to get them all boxed up and shipped out within 3 business days.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 00:58:00 »
As soon as I get my switches in, I will try to get them all boxed up and shipped out within 3 business days.

Can't wait to see bathtubs filled with switches...

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 05:45:04 »
only 330ish orders to ship before mine :)

Definitely less than that :) there are regular orders among the GB orders :)

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 10:13:46 »
THEY ARE HERE!!!!!

« Last Edit: Wed, 22 November 2017, 10:29:31 by VicareyG »

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 10:30:14 »
THEY ARE HERE!!!!!

Woohooo, I'm getting excited already! Thank you for the commitment!  :thumb:

Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 10:32:09 »
THEY ARE HERE!!!!!

Show Image

Can't wait to get started on lubing them! :p

Offline eddible

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 10:47:18 »
Blimey, that’s a lot of switches! What’s the consensus on lubing these? I’ve seen a lot of people saying it isn’t needed/the difference is barely noticeable?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 10:58:27 »
Are you counting them but weighting them?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 13:56:33 »
THEY ARE HERE!!!!!

Show Image

Hype.

No bathing please.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 13:58:56 »
Are you counting them but weighting them?

Yeah. Using a counting scale. It is a godsend for this kind of task.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 13:59:45 »
THEY ARE HERE!!!!!

Show Image

Hype.

No bathing please.

Certified non bathed in switches!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 14:18:15 »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 15:47:04 »
Blimey, that’s a lot of switches! What’s the consensus on lubing these? I’ve seen a lot of people saying it isn’t needed/the difference is barely noticeable?

I bought some silent black from Sennin's GB a few months back, and while the switches are very smooth stock, they still do benefit from lubing. If you do open the housing though, make sure you have switch stickers or switch films to install to reduce wobble.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline eddible

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 15:48:46 »

I bought some silent black from Sennin's GB a few months back, and while the switches are very smooth stock, they still do benefit from lubing. If you do open the housing though, make sure you have switch stickers or switch films to install to reduce wobble.

Ah thanks for this, really helpful. :)

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #215 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 16:11:31 »
THEY ARE HERE!!!!!

Show Image

Dammit that's a lot of sorting :eek: 

Offline Atredl

« Reply #216 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 22:21:55 »
THEY ARE HERE!!!!!

Show Image

Hype.

No bathing please.

Certified non bathed in switches!
I'll pay extra if you do bathe in them ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline yuppie

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 23:09:52 »

Best thing to do is harvest the stems and put them into Zeal housings, lubed with a little too much Krytox 106.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #218 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 06:50:39 »

Best thing to do is harvest the stems and put them into Zeal housings, lubed with a little too much Krytox 106.
Have you tried this and installed the switches in a board? I like the idea but would like to know for sure if mixing these switches actually work.

I know it is "supposed" to work, but a tiny difference in measurement could make the franken-switches unusable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #219 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 07:29:21 »

They're fine the way they are in the housings they come with, lubed with very little krytox thick. Too much lube makes switches muddy and terrible and spending $1.50 on each switch to put them in zeal housings seems ridiculous.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #220 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 22:10:40 »
the zeal housings make them buttery, i've tried it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 07:39:41 »

I will try basically every housing when i will get my silent, did you tried others too? (e.g. milky gateron for example, or other..)

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #222 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:02:52 »

I will try basically every housing when i will get my silent, did you tried others too? (e.g. milky gateron for example, or other..)

Gateron milk switches are scratchy. Zeal (aka Gateron housings) are smooth albeit wobbly. Use Gateron / Zeal housings if you want smooth and wobbly (Cherry tops fix the wobble) or just lube the stock housing.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #223 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:08:19 »

Gateron milk switches are scratchy. Zeal (aka Gateron housings) are smooth albeit wobbly. Use Gateron / Zeal housings if you want smooth and wobbly (Cherry tops fix the wobble) or just lube the stock housing.

I should have been clearer, i mean the new gateron milky from Kbdfans (that should be the retooled of gateron milky). 

Yeah i know zeal housing will be the smoother meme

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 11:27:45 »

Gateron housing =! Zeal housing

Different materials

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 12:48:05 »

Different materials

We know  ;)

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #226 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 13:29:03 »

Different materials

We know  ;)

Still in the reddit mindset lol

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #227 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 15:49:01 »
@here all silent black orders who also paid for the extra add on have been packed. Just need to generate and pay for postage labels tomorrow the  I'll get them in the post.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 15:56:55 »
@here all silent black orders who also paid for the extra add on have been packed. Just need to generate and pay for postage labels tomorrow the  I'll get them in the post.

Show Image

That’s awesome! Has Novelkeys had their switches sent to them?

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 16:02:54 »

Show Image

That’s awesome! Has Novelkeys had their switches sent to them?

They were collected by DHL Friday. Currently stuck in UK customs.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 17:25:58 »

Show Image

Extra? There was an option to pay more for the cool box rofl? 

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 19:35:25 »

I should have been clearer, i mean the new gateron milky from Kbdfans (that should be the retooled of gateron milky). 

Yeah i know zeal housing will be the smoother meme

I should have been clearer, they're still scratchy.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #232 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 19:36:23 »

Different materials

Same materials as the top, still made by Gateron.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 11:19:12 »
Has anyone tried the Gateron silent black switches?  I hate for someone to bother to put these cherry guts inside a gateron housing when you could get basically the same thing stock.  I tried silent cherry reds in a zeal housing and felt like they lost some of the dampening.  Also, I still think that the scratchy feeling comes largely from the spring and not the housing/slider.  The spring rubbing against the cylinder is a significant source of friction.  I've never heard other say it, but I suspect that stock Gaterons have more wobble not only from the stem design but partially b/c there is more space between the spring and the plastic cylinder on which it sits.  Cherry and Zeal switches, in contrast, have a tighter fitting spring that rubs on the inner cylinder and needs lubricant to reduce friction/noise.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #234 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 11:41:22 »
Has anyone tried the Gateron silent black switches?  I hate for someone to bother to put these cherry guts inside a gateron housing when you could get basically the same thing stock.  I tried silent cherry reds in a zeal housing and felt like they lost some of the dampening.  Also, I still think that the scratchy feeling comes largely from the spring and not the housing/slider.  The spring rubbing against the cylinder is a significant source of friction.  I've never heard other say it, but I suspect that stock Gaterons have more wobble not only from the stem design but partially b/c there is more space between the spring and the plastic cylinder on which it sits.  Cherry and Zeal switches, in contrast, have a tighter fitting spring that rubs on the inner cylinder and needs lubricant to reduce friction/noise.

Okay, so I just went to double check myself and discovered something interesting that I don't understand fully.

Silent Cherry stem in a Zeal housing = pretty damn amazing silent switch (all of the scratchiness from the silent cherry switch is pretty much gone.  It's a gateron-like smooth switch but very silent

Silent Cherry stem in a Gateron housing (gateron black with black bottom and clear top) = smooth but clacky?  The dampening bumpers on the silent Cherry stem don't work in a stock Gateron housing.  Now why is that?  They're hitting something when they bottom out other than the white silencing mechanisms but I figure out why or what it is.

I mean, if you're hunting silent smooth switches and have a lot of money to blow, I would say go for the silent cherry stem in a zeal housing.  However,  I also am curious to try Gateron silent switches.  Surely they are very similar and much cheaper.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 11:52:05 »
look at the back side of the new retooled sliders (the side that faces away from the leaf) and compare that to a gateron stem. then look into the bottom housings at the place where you noticed a difference in the slider, that should explain it.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 14:37:01 »
Stop the off topic?

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 15:12:20 »
Can you post a picture of the switch top? I recently got some clears from DoYu studio and I noticed that the font of the Cherry logo changed. Wondering which ones these are. Thanks!

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. MX Silent Black on the left, MX Clear on the right: https://i.imgur.com/5GCzjgh.jpg

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #238 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 15:41:39 »
Stop the off topic?

Apologies, but people were discussing using the switches from this thread in Zeal housings and Gateron housings.  I am providing them with the information that they will not be silent switches in stock Gateron housings.  I plan to use mine as-is but I haven't figured out what board yet.  Maybe the CF-LXXX

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 15:48:37 »
Can you post a picture of the switch top? I recently got some clears from DoYu studio and I noticed that the font of the Cherry logo changed. Wondering which ones these are. Thanks!

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. MX Silent Black on the left, MX Clear on the right: https://i.imgur.com/5GCzjgh.jpg

Great news If they retooled clears but afaik the didn't 

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 19:21:44 »

Great news If they retooled clears but afaik the didn't

Yeah that’s what others were saying. Surprised to see they changed the font for the logo.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 16:02:46 »

Hey! I can't get a clear enough photo of the switch tops on my phone. I can confirm they are the same logo as the switch top on the right that are labeled "retooled?" Hope that helps! :D

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 20:57:19 »

Hey! I can't get a clear enough photo of the switch tops on my phone. I can confirm they are the same logo as the switch top on the right that are labeled "retooled?" Hope that helps! :D

Awesome. Thank you! Can't wait to get them :D.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #243 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 03:45:42 »

Show Image

I don't see my number in that pile. Eagerly waiting for shipping notification, though.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 05:55:44 »

Show Image

That's quite a pile. So those are the ones that pay VAT tax afterwards, right? I did so hopefully my pack's somewhere there.  :p

How's the counting going, btw? You're doing it alone or you have some helping hands? 96k is a lot to count.

EDIT: is was in the pile. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 December 2017, 12:59:07 by funderburker »
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 13:48:13 »

Show Image

I don't see my number in that pile. Eagerly waiting for shipping notification, though.

Shipping notification received!

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #246 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 14:47:20 »

Show Image

Those who received a shipping email tonight, were actually posted on Wednesday. I just kinda forgot to send the dispatch email. :D

Shipping notification received!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #247 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 15:29:15 »
Those who received a shipping email tonight, were actually posted on Wednesday. I just kinda forgot to send the dispatch email. :D
Awesome, I can't wait.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 15:44:02 »

Hell yea just in time for the keyboard that (hopefully) arrives next week.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #249 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 19:26:38 »
Man I'm jealous of this.