Author Topic: [IC] Transparent Cherry PCB Mount Stabs (pre-clipped, old style sliders)  (Read 50173 times)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Project revealed here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83833

Hi guys,

After some more discussion with Gateron, Project Stab is doable so I'm here to gauge interest on the demand of these stabs. As PCB mounted stabs are hardly ever used commercially, this project will need A LOT of interest in order to be economically feasible as I expect the MOQ to be similar to switches (which is a lot).

What's new:

1) Stabs will come "pre-clipped" and take on the vintage shape like so:
If anyone has some disassembled pictures of the slider, please post/PM me. If anyone has pictures of the Ducky/Vortex orange stabs internals, I'd be interested in looking at those too.

2)The housing will be clear, (and so can the sliders?colour vote?)
-Clear slider
-Purple Slider
-???colour (comment)
If we end up with clear sliders, the mould would most likely be different from other colours. It's just the nature of the transparent plastics that prevents "regular" coloured plastics from being used.

3)Stabilizer mould will obviously be smoother than current generation Cherry stabs.

4)I know that spacebar wires have been really hard to source as Cherry P/Ns don't exist for them. I'll be getting the wires custom bent and gold plated!

Not sure about demand of screw-in style.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 August 2016, 19:34:41 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: [IC] Transparent Cherry PCB Mount Stabs (pre-clipped, old style sliders)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 14:05:40 »
I would love some screw-in ones, color isn't important.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline joey

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 14:08:40 »
yes

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 20:10:35 »
I've never tried screw in stabs before, I'm curious to give them a go. :thumb:

I would definitely like to have clear housings and gold wires, black sticks out a lot with an acrylic plate and Zealios.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 20:39:24 »
I'd be in for some. I'm all for green but transparent would probably be best for everyone.

Offline Digitize

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 20:47:07 »
i like the idea.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 21:11:29 »
I'm in for a dozen. Users can easily dye their own to whatever color they prefer. So just offer clear.

Also I do like the screw in kind but wasn't aware there could be a compatibility issue. So I'm okay if we do the "toothpick secured" kind.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 22:27:49 »
My noob question, is it fits my Vortex Race 1? what's the different feel from my original Cherry stabs? Thanks.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 22:30:46 »
I have a set of screw in stabs if you'd like to borrow them! They've already been clipped, but I'd be happy to send them to you, just shoot me a pm!

I'd be down for at least 6 sets. Preferably 4 with 6.25x spacebar, and 2 with 7x.

So yeah!

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 22:31:17 »
I'd be buying a lot of sets. Extra stabs are always good to have, and colors don't make any difference to me. I do have plans for a silver/purple 40%, so purple sliders would be perfect for that.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 23:34:47 »
I know this is about Cherry stabs and I normally wouldn't mention this except for the part where you said you were getting custom stab wires bent, is there any chance 7u Costar stab wires could be produced at some point? They are ridiculously hard to come across, it took me 8+ months and too much money to get the one I'm using now.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 23:37:26 »
I would love some screw-in ones, color isn't important.

Screw ins or nothing. 

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 23:39:00 »
Oh, I could also probably provide the stabs from a pok3r, if that would help as well!

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 23:42:40 »
This would be awesome. I'd be in for at least a couple sets.

EDIT: No preference for colour. Both clear and purple would look good, in my opinion.

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 13:59:42 »
My noob question, is it fits my Vortex Race 1? what's the different feel from my original Cherry stabs? Thanks.

Show Image

Yes, it'll fit in your Vortex Race 1 since it's PCB mount. Chances are your stabs aren't "clipped", so the stabilized keys feel mushy when bottoming out. The goal of these new stabs is to have them factory made flush so no clipping is required.

I have a set of screw in stabs if you'd like to borrow them! They've already been clipped, but I'd be happy to send them to you, just shoot me a pm!

I'd be down for at least 6 sets. Preferably 4 with 6.25x spacebar, and 2 with 7x.

So yeah!

Thanks for the offer. I'm in the process of obtaining some vintage stabs that are pictured in the OP, but if that falls through I'd hit you up! Oh and stabs sent to me most likely won't be coming back as it will be sent to Gateron. To make sorting easier, stabs will be sold in one pack as follows:

7x 2u (covers full size keyboards, custom split space layouts, 1800, etc)
1x 6.25u
1x 7u

I know this is about Cherry stabs and I normally wouldn't mention this except for the part where you said you were getting custom stab wires bent, is there any chance 7u Costar stab wires could be produced at some point? They are ridiculously hard to come across, it took me 8+ months and too much money to get the one I'm using now.

I'm not sure how feasible that is due to MOQ requirements from the metal factory that Gateron uses. :(

Oh, I could also probably provide the stabs from a pok3r, if that would help as well!

I'm very interested in seeing how the orange stabs look like from the underside. I've yet to see or find a picture of them not installed in a Ducky/Poker.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 15:17:07 »
Just wanted to say that I have had problems with screw-in stabs on GON and winkeyless.kr 60% boards. The screw creates a short on the LED pads. I've had to change all the stabs to standard ones. And to be honest the screw doesn't bring anything from my point of view. Normal ones are better.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 15:20:15 »
Just wanted to say that I have had problems with screw-in stabs on GON and winkeyless.kr 60% boards. The screw creates a short on the LED pads. I've had to change all the stabs to standard ones. And to be honest the screw doesn't bring anything from my point of view. Normal ones are better.
just use a plastic washer?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 15:25:19 »
just use a plastic washer?

That just adds more work to a problem that shouldn't really exist in the first place. I like the concept of screws but I've honestly never had a problem with any of my regular PCB mounted stabs.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 15:29:03 »
The regular ones are perfect, the screw type are just fancy and nothing more. Tried a plastic washer it was just a pain. And forget about beeing more solid the screw ones, they're not, they get pulled as easy as the normal ones. The plastic is soft and after you remove the screw a couple of times you can forget about them, they get loose.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 15:32:26 »
If these are available at a reasonable price I would be in for some !

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 15:38:16 »
The regular ones are perfect, the screw type are just fancy and nothing more. Tried a plastic washer it was just a pain. And forget about beeing more solid the screw ones, they're not, they get pulled as easy as the normal ones. The plastic is soft and after you remove the screw a couple of times you can forget about them, they get loose.

if you are taking these things on and off a board,  don't apply so much torque to strip the threads?

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 15:39:19 »
well, i would like to buy a bunch if the price is alright. ^^
i really dislike the plate mounted stab housing, they never stay in.
and the pcb mounted ones are ok, but sometimes they come out.
i was placing small bits of plastic in between the two prongs to keep them in place.
for me these would be great for boards without plates.
i have a bunch of paper thin plastic washers that would be perfect for keeping the screws from contacting any spots on the pcb.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 16:09:53 »
Make this match to Zealios and I'll buy a few sets. I'd personally like clear housing with purple stabs. :thumb:

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 17:14:16 »
I have interests in this. I haven't used my screw-in stabs from Ivan's buy yet because I could see where the screws would dig in and short my FaceW, and haven't had time to go get, or have made, mini plastic washers.

The stripped threads is also of concern, it is just a screw into plastic. Maybe a little tiny threaded nut and longer screws, or a recess in the plastic where the nut is held could help?

Has anyone thought of a way to reduce or eliminate stab ringing too? It's especially nasty with a heavier spring under a 7u spacebar.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 17:38:19 »
Has anyone thought of a way to reduce or eliminate stab ringing too? It's especially nasty with a heavier spring under a 7u spacebar.

Thick lube and bandaid mod below the stab :) If you cut carefully, it won't even show.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 20:52:53 »
@zeal, these are off of a pok3r! Hope that helps. They are potato pics from my phone, so if you need something better, I have a dslr and a macro lens I can use. I just got lazy after about two hours of desoldering/replacing stabs and then resoldering

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 21:42:55 »
Thick lube and bandaid mod below the stab :) If you cut carefully, it won't even show.

Show Image

And this kills the Upswing Ring from releasing the key? I'm having difficulties imagining what Band-Aid brand adhesive bandages achieve for this.

@zeal, these are off of a pok3r! Hope that helps. They are potato pics from my phone, so if you need something better, I have a dslr and a macro lens I can use. I just got lazy after about two hours of desoldering/replacing stabs and then resoldering

Is that a PCB stab wire in a plate mount stab? Many of us waited a few extra months for GMK Dolch because the plate mount stabs accidentally got paired with the middle-bend wires..

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 21:46:19 »

It depends on the board.  On some of my boards, anytime I pop a cap, the pop in ones come out and I have to reseat them.  On those boards they also tend to feel a little loose and make more noise than the screw in ones.  If I use a screw in stabilizer, I don't have any of those problems.

If you're really worried about them coming loose, there are various things you can put on the threads to make them tougher to unscrew.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 22:39:55 »

It depends on the board.  On some of my boards, anytime I pop a cap, the pop in ones come out and I have to reseat them.  On those boards they also tend to feel a little loose and make more noise than the screw in ones.  If I use a screw in stabilizer, I don't have any of those problems.

If you're really worried about them coming loose, there are various things you can put on the threads to make them tougher to unscrew.
That's how I feel about it.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 22:40:56 »

Show Image

And this kills the Upswing Ring from releasing the key? I'm having difficulties imagining what Band-Aid brand adhesive bandages achieve for this.

Is that a PCB stab wire in a plate mount stab? Many of us waited a few extra months for GMK Dolch because the plate mount stabs accidentally got paired with the middle-bend wires..
Haha! That's just off another set. It doesn't actually go in the pok3r, I just needed the flat bar for the pok3r since I reassembled it with pcb mount stabs!

Offline derzemel

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 00:42:05 »
I am very interested, but only if they will be normal clip ones, not the screw ones.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 14:10:43 »

Thanks, very much appreciated. This confirms that the sliders were flattened and "clipped".

Show Image

If you lube your stabs properly and apply some on the bandaid, you'll have 0 rattle. You can vigorously shake a freshly modded PCB and you won't hear a single rattle.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 14:15:14 »
I would buy a few sets, regardless of color. I would prefer screw in, since I can get the normal ones from winkeyless.kr , and other places, although these would be nicer I imagine.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 15:48:29 »
TRANSPARENT!
TRANSPARENT!

^ That was everyone shouting.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 15:55:06 »
TRANSPARENT!
TRANSPARENT!

^ That was everyone shouting.

Can confirm, needs to match Zealio or bust.

Offline amharris

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 17:13:07 »
I've never tried screw in stabs before, I'm curious to give them a go. :thumb:

I would definitely like to have clear housings and gold wires, black sticks out a lot with an acrylic plate and Zealios.

+1 to every point that you've listed here.

Offline zhihuichan

• Click,click,click
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 21:10:48 »
Golden wires black housing and clear slider, sounds very nice combo.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 21:13:07 »
Golden wires black housing and clear slider, sounds very nice combo.

Black is already readily available, no point in making more. Clear all the way! :p

Offline zhihuichan

• Click,click,click
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 21:16:52 »
Maybe golden wires clear housing and purple slider. :)

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 21:17:35 »
This is what I would like.

Offline zhihuichan

• Click,click,click
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 21:26:40 »

Yep, it will work better in with purple zealio switch than cherry stabs.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 21:40:59 »

Yep, it will work better in with purple zealio switch than cherry stabs.

Yeah but all clear stabs will work better will all switches and they can still be dyed.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 21:51:02 »
Totes intredasted.

Offline DukeMugen

• +1
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 22:13:38 »
Transparent! Wuhoooooooooo! Finally!
let me check my wallet.

Offline ika

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 23:05:33 »
I really like this idea but I'm a little scared of what the price would be. A gold-plated stab set is pushing the boundaries of what is reasonable for keyboard parts IMO.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 21:37:47 »
Love the idea of transparent stabs, and would definitely be down for a bunch as well!  :thumb:

Going all clear (so clear housing & slider) to match every type of switch would be the most universal choice imo and therefor probably best to reach moq.
Also, I personally prefer standard vs gold plated wires for a more technical and less blingy look. (not a huge fan of anything gold plated)

Purple sliders with gold plated wires would almost be a deal breaker for me tbh, since I prefer using linears which f.e. on Zealios would have clear sliders as well.
After all, having all clear sliders on switches, but purples on stabs is definitely worse then having purple Zealios with all clear stabs.  ;)

In terms of the wires, those could probably still be replaced with regular ones for people who don't like the added bling of gold plating like myself.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 December 2015, 21:41:55 by FoC_Tow »

Offline edel781

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 22:34:35 »
Purple sliders with gold plated wires would almost be a deal breaker for me tbh, since I prefer using linears which f.e. on Zealios would have clear sliders as well.
After all, having all clear sliders on switches, but purples on stabs is definitely worse then having purple Zealios with all clear stabs.  ;)

+1  :)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 05:13:31 »
I wouldn't mind if it was black housing, sliders and wire.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 09:14:46 »
Definitely interested.
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 11:29:57 »
I think I'd be down for all clear or white stabs, with gold wires. Although I'm not particular about wire color, slider color would be a dealbreaker.