Author Topic: [InterestCheck]colorway interest check for royal purple  (Read 3290 times)

Offline downtownHippie

[InterestCheck]colorway interest check for royal purple
« on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 10:27:30 »
Looking for interest in a purple and black or maybe grey cap set. I've used Ian's keyboard layout editor to mock up the color ideas using the SP's ABS colors. The purple is RDE on NN (black) or GB (grey), or NN on RDE. The black has more contrast on the screen, not sure what the grey would look like in person.

My layout indicates a few of the keys I need (Sun UNIX keyboard style variants), and am willing to include other keys to make more sets, especially any other keys needed for the basic ISO layouts (I've included a few).

I am partial to the font/legends on DCS caps more than the Gorton modified SP is putting on DSA keys, but that's not a deal breaker for me if there is interest in the colorway.

144949-0

having seen the GMK plum set today - I'm very inclined to discuss this with them to get that legend font and maybe better colors...

[edits cause I'm not good at this keyboard using skill]
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 August 2016, 10:32:41 by downtownHippie »

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

Re: [InterestCheck]colorway interest check for royal purple
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 10:55:07 »
I think it might look better with different font colors. Maybe gold for both or just the alphas.

Offline downtownHippie

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 11:56:08 »
I think it might look better with different font colors. Maybe gold for both or just the alphas.

interesting idea.  Purple and gold are definitely complimentary colors.  I'm just not a fan of yellow based colors.

My (personal) keyboard is purple LED under the keys, with green at HJKL since I'm a Vi-based programmer.
Yellow-ish legends might make this too Mardi Gras oriented...and with blue keyboard side lights I think the
yellow would clash.  But I see your idea.

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 14:33:50 »

interesting idea.  Purple and gold are definitely complimentary colors.  I'm just not a fan of yellow based colors.

My (personal) keyboard is purple LED under the keys, with green at HJKL since I'm a Vi-based programmer.
Yellow-ish legends might make this too Mardi Gras oriented...and with blue keyboard side lights I think the
yellow would clash.  But I see your idea.
Yea I'd stay away from yellow or gold but a white or light grey, especially on the alphas, might look pretty good. You need something to up the contrast on the legends

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline downtownHippie

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 15:24:17 »
Yea I'd stay away from yellow or gold but a white or light grey, especially on the alphas, might look pretty good. You need something to up the contrast on the legends

nice ideas, thanks!

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 15:53:04 »
I'd say that golden legends would work really well with the "royal" theme .. but yeah (actually wanted to propose exactly that color combo myself a few months ago -- not "royal" but a slightly different theme)

Offline DaveB

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 18:14:30 »
I like purple with a slightly rusty orange (a split compliment of purple). Wonder if you made some of the caps that rusty orange instead of black for a less goth look? The purple caps could get burnt orange iconography and visa versa, or they could all get the same color like a lighter gray, or straw.  The trick in getting near complements to play well together is to bring them to the same value, that is the amount of light reflected from each.  If you took a black and white image, they would be about the same shade of gray.  Maybe one of these combinations?

144990-0

Offline downtownHippie

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 18:42:55 »
I like purple with a slightly rusty orange (a split compliment of purple).

pretty colors, but yellow and orange just aren't my thing, I'm an earth tones kind of guy - greens and browns!
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 August 2016, 18:45:43 by downtownHippie »

Offline downtownHippie

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 18:44:50 »

Yes, a lighter alphas legend works wonders for the contrast

144995-0

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 19:22:12 »
you may be at a stage where you and other interested in this layout choose a majority color?
you would please try the cyan as legend on purple .

Offline DaveB

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 19:37:41 »

pretty colors, but yellow and orange just aren't my thing, I'm an earth tones kind of guy - greens and browns!

The colors of a sunset couldn't be more universally earth toned.  Are purple and black earth tones?
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 August 2016, 00:06:42 by DaveB »

Offline downtownHippie

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 07:55:26 »
The colors of a sunset couldn't be more universally earth toned.  Are purple and black earth tones?

earth, air, fire and water.  Air probably doesn't have any colors associated with it (white?) but last time I checked I didn't think sunset was earth toned...more fire toned.  And I'm not talking about the purple and black, I'm referring to the fire tones you're talking about.

pretty keyboard design you got there, just not my colors.