Author Topic: Are wood and resin wrist rests comfortable?  (Read 9542 times)

Offline skullmonkey

Are wood and resin wrist rests comfortable?
« on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 18:43:58 »
I see all these awesome looking keyboard wrist rests made of wood or resin - are these comfortable?  I love the style options but I'm wondering how these compare to gel for actual comfort and ergonomics.

Offline ItIsWritten

Re: Are wood and resin wrist rests comfortable?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 19:04:17 »
I use wood and glass rests, and they certainly aren't uncomfortable.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Offline cheater

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 18:04:38 »
they're going to be similar to having your wrists on a wooden table when using a very thin keyboard.

Offline xudongz

• Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 23:34:28 »
I think it's generally not great to put weight on your wrist, regardless of whether it's soft like gel or hard like wood. If your weight is on your palm instead, it shouldn't be a problem. I personally have neoprene wrist rests, which are soft in the sense that you can push into it but hard in the sense that it doesn't depress with the typical weight of my palm/hands.
SliceMK | ErgoDox Wireless group buy round 2 running until November 16, 2021

Offline harlekein

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 06:09:17 »
I think it's generally not great to put weight on your wrist, regardless of whether it's soft like gel or hard like wood. If your weight is on your palm instead, it shouldn't be a problem.

It's strange that "palm rests" have been named "wrist rests". What you describe is indeed a problem. The wrist should not carry that burden.

To OP: I have used the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard for a while along with the wooden palm rests that came along with it. Personally, I found the pressure to be uncomfortable after a while, since it's mostly the outer palm resting on there.

I ditched them. I have moved on to other keyboards since. I admit that when I sit I use my chair arm rests to hover my hands. When I stand I just hover them without support. If your desk is at the right height it doesn't really take effort.

Offline wolverine92

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 19:20:35 »
This has worked extremely well for me, even with a split. It is thin enough that you aren't going to rely on it all of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3QJ8WQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_KQHG22P30QH4Y5RZBJH8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline frogking

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 20:29:44 »
I think it's generally not great to put weight on your wrist, regardless of whether it's soft like gel or hard like wood. If your weight is on your palm instead, it shouldn't be a problem. I personally have neoprene wrist rests, which are soft in the sense that you can push into it but hard in the sense that it doesn't depress with the typical weight of my palm/hands.
^^^ my redox did come w/ wood wrist rests and it certainly isn't healthy or comfortable but they are convenient for letting my palm rest on it