Author Topic: 'Reviving' SKCM Blue Alps with SKBM White click leaf, yay or nay?  (Read 2224 times)

Offline GlennL42

Hi all, having some dilemma here so let me just cut to the chase.

So I have some SKCM Blue Alps harvested from a old board, and for the past few months I have been trying to fixed the double clicking issue plaguing the switches, but to no avail. So, without any use for them/any means to revive them without incurring more cost, I've decided to pass them on to someone with the wherewithal to possibly put them onto good use.

I was thinking about suggesting the possible buyer to replace the click leaf with SKBM whites (which is still acquirable NOS). Anyone here done/tested this before? Wanted to double check the feasibility of this mod since I'm not very sure the difference between both click leaf and what kind of difference in key feel this will impart.

Any suggestion/discussion is welcome and thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2019, 08:21:16 by GlennL42 »

Offline abrahamstechnology

Re: 'Reviving' SKCM Blue Alps with SKBM White click leaf, yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 20:52:33 »
Double-clicking is often caused by a bent spring catching on the switchplate. But the SKBM parts should work, the click leaves aren't that different.

Offline GlennL42

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 23:04:00 »
Thanks for the respond.

Don't think that is the problem though, a while back I drill two hole (top and bottom) on a sacrificial bottom housing in order to observe just what is causing the double clicking, but of the many double clicking switches I've tested none had their spring caught onto the switchplate and is operating like how they should normally; plus if that's the case then the clicking should be present when I linear modded them, which is not in my case.

The only postulation I have is that the click leaf, for some reason, resets harder than they should be and thus hitting on the slider (instead of on the housing like when pressed) harder than normally and creating a secondary clicking, I've tried lubing the leaf and the surface of slider that is facing the click leaf (with GPL105) and while this fixed the double clicking initially, they come back once the lube settled in (roughly a week after I lubed it).

Also, is SKBM Whites' click leaf more tactile than Blue Alps' or are they more or less similar in term of tactility?

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 12:37:28 »
As far as I know most later White Alps including SKBMs are less tactile than Blue Alps, but early pine White Alps are pretty much identical to Blues. I don't think the click leaf has changed that much between Whites so it may be the housing that affects the tactility.
A Matias click leaf in a bamboo Alps housing sounds very close to Blue Alps and is very tactile, so they should be even better in the old blue Alps pine housings. I'd try Matias click leaves first since they are easier to get a hold of.