Author Topic: "You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"  (Read 28675 times)

Offline schizrade

Re: "You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 12:03:57 »
Love my AT101's almost as much as my model M's.

People at work thing I am nuts with my expensive keyboards... until I let them use one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 14:14:54 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline caffeine

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 23:58:51 »
While my Filco was delayed, I expressed my displeasure to my cousin and explained why it was so important and how much I paid for it. His reaction was 'why the hell did you pay $160 for a keyboard?'

I get that a lot when I mention how much mechanical keyboards cost, and seeing how I'm the only one among my friends and family who is constantly looking at them, I'm the only one who understands.

But, I guess after my HHKB arrives, it will be 'why the hell did you pay $300 for that dinky little thing?'

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 08:33:22 »
Maybe a comparison to shoe prices would be in order.

Do athletes or mountain climbers buy their shoes at Wal-Mart?

(the pitfall there would be the comparison to vain rich women and boutique dress shoes, of course)

Find another example.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline MechKey

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 08:48:16 »
I didn't tell my GF how much it cost.  Problem solved.

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 08:53:28 »
Love my AT101's almost as much as my model M's.

People at work thing I am nuts with my expensive keyboards... until I let them use one.

Most people I know that are heavy computer users, want a nice keyboard, but don't care after they've gotten one. I know people who have a board with browns and don't care anymore beyond that. Also, the AT101 is an expensive board? :P

Maybe a comparison to shoe prices would be in order.

Do athletes or mountain climbers buy their shoes at Wal-Mart?

(the pitfall there would be the comparison to vain rich women and boutique dress shoes, of course)

Find another example.

I like cars. Maybe it is just my family, but they all seem to like to spend money on cars. I don't care about having an expensive car, and just tell them they want their expensive things and I want mine.
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 09:06:40 »
Just the other day a fellow co-worker commented on how colorful my keyboard was (my CM Storm QFR with all it's novelty caps) and on how old/bizarre my mouse looked (an IBM Track Point L40 mechanical trackball mouse).
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 10:00:06 »
Can't stand trackballs. I've been using a mouse for eons, and I don't see the need to move away from them.

Plus, I use a mouse every day when i come home for gaming so I think that would mess with using one at work.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 16:58:55 »
Just the other day a fellow co-worker commented on how colorful my keyboard was (my CM Storm QFR with all it's novelty caps) and on how old/bizarre my mouse looked (an IBM Track Point L40 mechanical trackball mouse).
Maybe they were being ironic?