Author Topic: "You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"  (Read 28797 times)

Offline 1stGenRex

"You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"
« on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 00:55:38 »
I used to have a Logitech MX5500, but now I have a Filco Majestouch 2. Someone came in and saw my desk and asked this question, which I thought was kind of funny. While I did really like that keyboard, I don't see myself going back to membrane keyboards if I can avoid it, but I can see why he would ask that question, this thing just looks so unassuming (which is fine by me!).

What comments have you gotten from people that didn't really know any better?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Re: "You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 01:07:37 »
"You paid that much and it doesnt even have a LCD!!!?"

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 01:36:23 »
"Where's the numpad? How do you type numbers?"

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 01:50:35 »
How do you know what you are typing?!

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 02:03:47 »
^ x2, plus nobody touch my keyboard (whites plus dvorak).
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline DasHHKBProM

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 02:11:25 »
lol few weeks back i bought a filco just to "blend" in with the crappy dell oems at my work,
it doesn't scream steal me, while im at tullys ordering a latte :-X

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: Re: "You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 05:12:00 »
lol few weeks back i bought a filco just to "blend" in with the crappy dell oems at my work,
it doesn't scream steal me, while im at tullys ordering a latte :-X

I have hidden my HHKB with Clacks under my desk whilst I am on holiday!

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 05:20:10 »
Do you have a cleptomanos at work?. that is bad. I only do that when the subcontractors are around. 

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 05:21:40 »
I don't but I would worry about it whilst away.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 05:25:07 »
^ I will do exactly the same

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 05:40:18 »
My pure with zinc caps usually gets 'what's this gadget then?'.
No need to hide as I have no permanent desk! Lives in my laptop bag
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 08:27:55 »
Regarding my unicorn vomit board which has rainbow blanks - "How do you type on this??" - Every person I ever see in computer labs.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline stingrae

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 09:01:24 »
I don't know if I am more or less scared that people actually don't realise how expensive my keyboards are.

Best I've had is why do you like small keyboards? :(...there was something else but I forgot.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 09:24:52 »
Do you have a cleptomanos at work?. that is bad. I only do that when the subcontractors are around.
At a previous workplace of mine it was the boss that used to walk away with things.

Alice: Where's the Mac we ordered for the xyz project?
Bob: According to the tracking page, it was delivered a week ago. Didn't you get it?
Alice: No. Have you seen it?
Charlie:  I saw the boss pack a Mac into his bag before he left for a "business trip" to Vegas.
Bob: But the boss uses a PC laptop ...
Alice: Who knows about the Mac but us three?
Bob: Uh oh. The boss must have taken the delivery when it arrived. Didn't I tell you three times that you should have made sure to take the delivery yourself?
a week later:
Boss: I had a great time in Vegas. Gambling, parties, old buddies, and women. I gave a Mac to a really cool guy I met in a bar. I don't know what he does, or if he has any money at all, but he seemed really interested in our company when I told him about it. I'm sure that he will invest now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2012, 09:28:15 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 09:35:54 »
"Why is it pink?" ^^

In reference to my 87u 55g.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 10:33:27 »
I got a comment that my white poker looks like its from the dollar store. -_-

usually I find that once somebody actually types something on one of my mechanicals they realize right away. last comment I got was
"holy **** man, this keyboard is nice, it feels expensive as ****!"
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2012, 10:36:10 by Lethal Squirrel »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 10:43:54 »
Most people don't get mechanical keyboards.

The most common thing I hear is "you paid how much??????"
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 10:47:50 »
Why is there a skull on it? Why are there so few keys?

Offline stingrae

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 11:07:26 »

lol so true even when I told them the price of the quickfire (£60~) they are a bit freaked out :D.

Sadly so far no one who has touched my boards has gotten the bug, and a programmer friend refuses to believe that a keyboard way over the £25~ membranes he would buy, is something he should consider buying.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 11:59:22 »
I used to have a bad ass keyboard, then I took an arrow to the knee.  ^-^

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:14:30 »

I'd rather not tell the price of the keyboard when people ask.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:15:56 »

I'd rather not tell the price of the keyboard when people ask.

My mom doesn't even ask when I get packages anymore, she just knows they are key caps :D

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:21:01 »
I find that a lot of women seem to really like the Poker, "it's so cute!". Sometimes people do ask where is the rest of the keyboard though.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:23:06 »
I find that a lot of women seem to really like the Poker, "it's so cute!". Sometimes people do ask where is the rest of the keyboard though.

At least they don't say "it's so small" because that hurts :(

Offline Deekin

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:27:30 »
One of my friends said. "Imagine if you invested that kind of money on beer instead, you would need to move to a bigger apartment" lol

Offline f4d3

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:46:36 »
My girl complains I spent over $1000 on keyboards and I rarely spend that much on her. I can't complain how much she spends shopping or else I'll get no happy time.

Offline 1stGenRex

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 13:00:57 »
My girl complains I spent over $1000 on keyboards and I rarely spend that much on her. I can't complain how much she spends shopping or else I'll get no happy time.

My wife never complains about my strange hobbies, but then again, she got this as a souvenir from our San Francisco trip

Sometimes, you gotta do stuff like that :P

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 13:11:42 »

My wife never complains about my strange hobbies, but then again, she got this as a souvenir from our San Francisco trip

Show Image

Sometimes, you gotta do stuff like that :P

$647.00 man bag:
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2012, 13:13:13 by PointyFox »

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 13:41:00 »
My boss was standing outside the building smoking a cigarette when he sees me walking in with my keyboard under my arm and asks "Who in the hell carries their keyboard to work?"

Honestly, I get asked a lot more questions and puzzled looks about my electronic cigarette collection. For example, below is a Provari variable voltage mod with Jonboy Lava tank.

Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline 1stGenRex

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:02:58 »
My boss was standing outside the building smoking a cigarette when he sees me walking in with my keyboard under my arm and asks "Who in the hell carries their keyboard to work?"

Honestly, I get asked a lot more questions and puzzled looks about my electronic cigarette collection. For example, below is a Provari variable voltage mod with Jonboy Lava tank.

*SNIP*

Never thought I'd run into a fellow Vaper here! I've also got a Provari, but I run mine with a Pyrex tank, usually. And I also have a VModXL :D See what I meant about strange hobbies :P

(This picture is from before I got my Pyrex tanks)
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:05:38 by 1stGenRex »

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:16:24 »
Nice collection... I never thought I'd run into a fellow vaper here, either. I'm m00nshake on ECF as well. About to hit my third year anniversary off analogs. I've got three mods now, a Darwin, a Satin Provari Mini, and a Black Provari w/ 18650 extension like the one you have in the picture. I've got five Jonboy Lava Tanks of different colors and styles, fat and skinny pawns/mings. I vape almost exlusively Ahlusion liquids now. They're the total package as an e-liquid vendor, everything from the packaging to the labels, the glass bottles, the organic flavoring, the superb taste of all of their liquids, there's just the bees knees. Good to meet you here... :)
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline 1stGenRex

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:24:37 »
Nice collection... I never thought I'd run into a fellow vaper here, either. I'm m00nshake on ECF as well. About to hit my third year anniversary off analogs. I've got three mods now, a Darwin, a Satin Provari Mini, and a Black Provari w/ 18650 extension like the one you have in the picture. I've got five Jonboy Lava Tanks of different colors and styles, fat and skinny pawns/mings. I vape almost exlusively Ahlusion liquids now. They're the total package as an e-liquid vendor, everything from the packaging to the labels, the glass bottles, the organic flavoring, the superb taste of all of their liquids, there's just the bees knees. Good to meet you here... :)

I hand out mostly on Reddit's /r/ECR (MUCH less drama than ECF, and typically a lot more helpful). I'm almost at the 6 month mark myself. I've never heard of that vendor, I'll have to check them out, although I've taken a break from ordering more stuff, since I've still got quite a bit of juice to go though.

Offline N8N

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:27:50 »
Nobody "gets" any of my keyboards.  I've had a Filco M2 w/ clears @ work for a while now and it never gets a second glance unless someone comments on the RGBs (it's got old school Cherry doubleshots on it now, but whenever my dye subs come in I'm going to switch it up again.)  I got way more comments on my mouse which for a while was a RAT7 until it decided to not play nice with any mouse pad I could find.  My boss occasionally has to type on the Filco (to approve proposals etc.) but has never commented.  Of course he is the only other person in the office with an even remotely decent keyboard, which is a Dell QuietKey.  My one designer is a bit of a peripheral snob as he's tried a couple of my mice (RAT7 and Logitech PMMX, he liked both, ended up getting a similar but less high end Logitech for himself) but even he prefers his new Dell scissor-switch keyboard.  (I guess, in his defense, I would rather type on one of those than on the previous ones we had which were truly awful rubber domes.)  I'd cut him a good deal on something decent, but he has no interest...
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:40:21 »
Regarding my unicorn vomit board which has rainbow blanks - "How do you type on this??" - Every person I ever see in computer labs.

i just got my rainbow blanks! on my led ducky and everyone is the same with me. WTF HOW DO YOU TYPE ON THIS????

i tell you what though, its stopped my mum/brother/dad/girlfriend from using my computer LOL

can't wait to post some pics up just need to give it a good clean and set up the 'mini studio" again

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 19:23:52 »
The look at my Dvorak, and say "why did you mess up your keyboard"?

Take a TG3 BL82 into work and say you got something to replace that awful logitech. Backlit = badass. This must be the case :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 21:50:23 »
I got a couple of comments like the OP as I went from an Apple Alunimium keyboard to a Ducky Shine.

With backlighting off, it kinda looks, to the untrained eye, like the Dell rubber domes we have littering the spare desks.

But with the backlighting on everyone's eyes light up (no, not just reflecting the backlighting) and I have had nothing but positive comments.

Even the noise does not seem to bother anyone (MX blue switches), although they are often making more noise than my keyboard anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ShakeR

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 22:14:00 »
Re: Ducky Year of the Rabbit (white etched PBTs that more-or-less look like blanks) "How do you see what you're typing? / How do you type on that thing?"

Used to swear by my Microsoft ergonomic 4000s which had much more visual wow factor, although the "How do you type on that thing?" question came up with it sometimes as well.

It seems design has come full circle where now, other than LEDs, the plainer your keyboard looks, the nicer it is.  Even most PBT caps look kind of 'dull / matte' compared to ABS.  I prefer this look, but to the keyboard 'un-enlightened' Shiny = Good.

Also, cool story / thread 1stGenRex  :)
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 22:44:36 »
well when they ask about how much I paid for my hhkb pro 2, I say that paid 20 usd for it ;-) and the skulls came for free

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 23:29:04 »
Come to think of it, my boss mentioned my Poker with RGB looked trendy.
A female colleague said it was cute.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 00:13:20 »
lol I've only got a "that's a shiny keyboard" => points at my das keyboard.  But then it's when they ask me who much I pay for it then they'd be like "why would anyone pay over $100 for keyboard !!!" haha

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 00:18:33 »
I used to get comments about my Das and Filcos, in regards to how much they cost. Now with the Realforce, it's a moment of dumbfounded shock, followed by muttering and shaking of heads as they walk away.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 00:30:27 »
Does anyone bring their korean custom to work?

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 05:51:40 »
This is almost related to the look I get when I tell people I spent $80 on a keyboard (Unicomp). They're like "why". Oh well.

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 22:06:38 »
Get an otaku Keyboard and a trackball mouse and no one will try to show you anything on your PC - you'll always get to "drive". 

Now to figure out how to get them to stop touching the monitor when they need to show me something !!!
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline Larken

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 23:38:39 »
I typically don't divulge the cost of my keyboards any more due to the incredulous looks I get after. Nowadays most comments go "Is that your own keyboard? Looks different." I used to bring a cherry board in to work and the huge-ass casing is the thing that draws attention. I would think that a filco would draw less attention, but I don't have the cash to have a filco both at home and at work (duplicates that is).
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 10:16:25 »
Now to figure out how to get them to stop touching the monitor when they need to show me something !!!

omfg soooo true. I can't stand this, and EVERYBODY does it

Offline bitshifter1001

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 10:22:51 »

LOL, nice!  ;D

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Re: "You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 10:28:00 »
Does anyone bring their korean custom to work?

I do once in awhile
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline type_dancer

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 11:08:55 »
The only comment I've gotten was "Why the hell do you have a keyboard from the 90's?". An amazing number of people have simply commented," Oh, I have a mechanical, too."
1-20-1993 Model M 51G8572 & Corsair Vengeance K90

Offline Rafen

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 11:23:57 »
I recently just purchased a Poker keyboard about a week ago and when my one buddy saw it he said "When you type on that do you feel like you are going to break it?". I always get the "I can't believe you paid that much for a keyboard. You could get one from dell for like $20." The people I work with are IT people but they are not into keyboards at all so I always try to show them different things and so far no luck but I think one day they might come around.