Author Topic: 120+ board with switchable keycaps?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline lx

120+ board with switchable keycaps?
« on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 13:25:45 »
Hey all,

My current dream keyboard is to have a Sun 5 / Model F 122 / Omnikey Ultra layout, but with the DSA retro universal keycap GB set. I know that none of the aforementioned boards will be compatible with those keycaps, but what would be the closest option that will let me swap out keycaps? A function cluster on the left would be ideal, while still retaining a top function row.

If there is no such beast, I'm thinking the closest I can get is a G80-8113 or G80-8200, or possibly the Fentek KBMMACRDB, as all of those have Cherries that would presumably be swappable. Is there any reason any of those wouldn't work?

I know some think extra keys are gimmicky, but being able to hit a single key instead of chording multiple modifier keys is a big win for my RSI, so any help would be appreciated.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
Re: 120+ board with switchable keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 13:42:26 »
A cherry G80-2100 is the pretty much the same layout and programmable, but harder to find http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-2100
or
A cherry G80-2510 or G80-2550 is the same layout as the G80-2100 but NOT programmable, although is easier to find http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-2550

----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 13:46:14 »
I found Sun type5 copy with MX once before on taobao so they do exist if you want to do some hunting. I looked again but could not find it for you. Next closest thing might be something like a G80-255* which may be a lot easier to find. It's true they are not programmable directly but the extra keys send scan codes that are not normally used by anything so you can assign them with AHK or whatever. There is also this keyboard, though I think it is overpriced.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 14:01:07 »
The Unicomp (pckeyboard.com) 122-key keyboards have the same profile keycaps on every row, so you could swap out letters, numbers, and function keys to your hearts's content.

You would have to use software or hardware to remap the keys so your computer knew what you'd done with the little pieces of plastic, but AutoHotKey would do it and is free for Windows. Linux would use xmodmap, and you could even use a Teensy microprocessor and Soarer's firmware to do the swap so any PC would see the keys as you like.

But in any case, just moving keycaps won't change the electical signals being sent. Retro keys or Unicomp keys will still need something to map the physical changes for the PC.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline lx

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 18:10:26 »
A cherry G80-2510 or G80-2550 is the same layout as the G80-2100 but NOT programmable, although is easier to find http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-2550

Thanks! I think I'm pretty much condemned to carry around an .Xmodmap file with me for the rest of my days already, so the programming isn't too big a deal for me. I was unsure how problematic the alleged lack of NKRO would be though - it's not a big feature for me, but presumably I can still use 3 modifier keys plus a regular key?

The other concern with the AT boards is whether they'll be able to send all the keycodes through an AT -> PS/2 -> USB converter - I'm under the impression that some of the older Unicomps and other "terminal" boards had problems with this. That was partly why I was looking at the 8113s, as they have a USB option. It's of course fine if I happen to be incorrect about that, though.

Thanks much for the advice.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 16:43:58 »
being able to hit a single key instead of chording multiple modifier keys is a big win for my RSI, so any help would be appreciated.
Agree.

This means that 20 years from now the keyboard industry will suddenly figure out that putting keys on a keyboard is a good thing and that 50 years in the past the PS/2 standard had keycodes for F13-F24 which are usually right above the F1-F12, but can be placed anywhere.

I don't actually mind a lot of chorded shortcuts as long as I am only pressing 2 keys at once.  But when I have to press 3 keys at once, that always starts increasing my pain level.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 16:51:11 »
Where is the respect?

As much as (some) people worship the Model M, Unicomp gets tossed of as some sort of inferior knock-off. Wrong!

Here is your 122-key board, with everything you could need, native USB, for $99.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/PC122/UB40B5A

And, at the same time, order some extra caps (might have to be blanks, but many colors are available). I use M for "Mute" and P for "Pause"

Find your keys with keyboardtest.exe and remap them with Auto Hot Key or Key Tweak.

If you use Windows, that is.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:03:19 »
I think some are missing what I saw as a big requirement of being able to get spherical caps. Now correct me if I am wrong as I haven't seen any with but it's not really an option for BS?

Offline lx

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:04:18 »
I think some are missing what I saw as a big requirement of being able to get spherical caps. Now correct me if I am wrong as I haven't seen any with but it's not really an option for BS?

Yeah, I've actually already got the Unicomp on order, as I should have a buckling spring model of some kind regardless. But, the retro fun factor of those keycaps and having actual "Hyper" and "Meta" keys was motivating the finding of something a little more customizable.

I went ahead and made a lower offer for the Computer Labs board and that went through, so we'll see where that goes - still concerned about what will make it through the adapter, though. If it goes ok, I may change the switch guts to blues if possible. I ended up getting an 8113 (USB) too, so we'll see what works out nicest. And it'll be handy if I have to read a credit card, I guess...

Clearly the ideal would be to convince WASD to make a 122 style keyboard with Cherries. That would be joyous for all three people who would actually want such a thing.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:13:05 »
I always think of spherical keycaps as being a fantasy on the order of domesticated unicorns.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:24:38 »
You got the computerlabs huh, mind posting a picture of the insides when it arrives, I have an odd idea on it for a custom project of placing something like a matrix orbital display where the coputer labs name plate is... hehehe and replace the controller with teensy and wire everything up inside with a usb hub.

Offline lx

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 12:37:04 »
You got the computerlabs huh, mind posting a picture of the insides when it arrives, I have an odd idea on it for a custom project of placing something like a matrix orbital display where the coputer labs name plate is... hehehe and replace the controller with teensy and wire everything up inside with a usb hub.

That would certainly be entertaining. I'll take some pics when I get my hands on it.

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 07:20:29 »
I recommend a Tipro keyboard. But you live in the US and Tipro is hard to find, or expensive to import.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160977151213?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D160977151213%26LH_PrefLoc%3D2%26_rdc%3D1

Fully programmable in 4 Layers.

But the layout is a bit different and the space bar size will not exist in the DSA groupbuy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 07:23:11 by CeeSA »