Author Topic: "The manly switch"  (Read 3314 times)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
"The manly switch"
« on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 05:13:20 »
im thinking of building a manly switch. i have this idea off getting a hold of some cherry mx super black springs and putting them into greys/clears.

Has anyone tried something similar or is this a crazy idea as it seems they are out of production since 2012.

The actuation point would be more than 150 g, hence "the manly" (:

Offline keyton

Re: "The manly switch"
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:45:36 »
Try BIC pen springs.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:47:12 »
Sprit did some heavy custom springs but I think they only went up to 120g but he might have done some higher ones for 'testing'

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:50:53 »
i used 80g springs from originative in blues for a while. I like heavy, but it ended up just being too much. Had to bump it back down to black springs.

I'm 6'3", 225 and have giant hands, and I felt that the blues with 80g springs were fairly manly.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:53:36 »
I have some tactile grays in my ergodox, with 100gr springs from Spirit's 1st spring-only GB.

I have to say I don't like it. Not because it takes too much to actuate ... I have 100gr springs in the nearby clears, but the tactile gray, even natural, is a bit too 'mushy' for the feel I was hoping for. 100gr manlyclears are mighty stiff, but I happen to like them.

Of course, the pinkies don't have that ... browns, and off-homerow they have 50gr springs (also from Spirit). So, whatever. I believe that for the current run of springs, the 100 & 120gr versions didn't reach MOQ. No surprise they're a bit of a specialty item (and I guess I'm just special that way).

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:57:46 »
I picked up some 150g and 300g springs just for the hell of it awhile back. The 150g is ridiculously heavy, it essentially made a clear steam feel almost linear. The 300g spring was just totally outright, it felt like I was going to break something pressing that key  :))

I really like the spring in the tactile gray (non-clicky) ... I think that one is supposed to be around 120g?

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 09:58:10 »
I have some tactile grays in my ergodox, with 100gr springs from Spirit's 1st spring-only GB.

I have to say I don't like it. Not because it takes too much to actuate ... I have 100gr springs in the nearby clears, but the tactile gray, even natural, is a bit too 'mushy' for the feel I was hoping for. 100gr manlyclears are mighty stiff, but I happen to like them.

Of course, the pinkies don't have that ... browns, and off-homerow they have 50gr springs (also from Spirit). So, whatever. I believe that for the current run of springs, the 100 & 120gr versions didn't reach MOQ. No surprise they're a bit of a specialty item (and I guess I'm just special that way).

I thought the clear stem and gray stem was identical?

Are you saying the 100g springs feel different when using a clear stem versus a gray stem?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 10:26:42 »
Get some buckling spring. Not that heavy, but way more manly for sure! You will feel the manliness at first try!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 10:34:47 »
Get some buckling spring.

Be sure that it is Model F, it is the multiple layers of steel that gives it such awesome stability.

The Model M is mostly plastic.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 11:58:34 »

Are you saying the 100g springs feel different when using a clear stem versus a gray stem?

My fingers know which one is the gray, and the clear right next to it has the same spring. So ... yes, I guess I have to say that's what I'm saying.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 12:09:01 »
Some industrial keyboards and public access terminal keyboards are designed to have 200 - 400g actuation forces!

My fingers know which one is the gray, and the clear right next to it has the same spring. So ... yes, I guess I have to say that's what I'm saying.

I'm pretty sure clear and grey stems are the same. Photographing clears is really hard for me since the translucent plastic just absorbs the flash and gets that halo effect.

y'all can probably tell that it's a cellphone picture. As soon as someone mails me a better camera, I'll start using it :p
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 August 2014, 12:11:42 by dorkvader »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 12:14:21 »

Interesting...i'll have to experiment.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 12:15:08 »
Some industrial keyboards and public access terminal keyboards are designed to have 200 - 400g actuation forces!

I do not doubt that my Logic Controls restaurant keyboard (still available!) has that kind of force.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:18:59 »

I do not doubt that my Logic Controls restaurant keyboard (still available!) has that kind of force.
where where!?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:25:08 »
Not a conventional keyboard, this is intended for commercial and industrial environments.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 13:59:02 »
ah! maybe its best i ask spirit. se what he has to offer. =)

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 15:09:10 »
Get some buckling spring.

Be sure that it is Model F, it is the multiple layers of steel that gives it such awesome stability.

The Model M is mostly plastic.

Damn right.  My testosterone level goes up when I type on my F.                                                 

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 16:10:22 »
Ordered som springs from sprit's GB :) wee gonna havet some fun with 120g springs, gotta order som greys also

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 16:21:31 »
Ordered som springs from sprit's GB :) wee gonna havet some fun with 120g springs, gotta order som greys also

just get clears: they are the same slider.