Author Topic: (rant) I think im going to give up on lubing switches and stickers  (Read 14104 times)

Offline Altis

Re: (rant) I think im going to give up on lubing switches and stickers
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 12:26:29 »
meh, I do it the lazy way, a syringe and press the stem down and add 1 drop, easy peasy and feels just as good as my greased, oiled and stickered switches that I got off someone else.

Can you please elaborate on this?

I'm on the fence about trying to lube some switches, but the idea of desoldering a 104-key board and taking it all apart is really discouraging... it's a little much, even for me.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Jixr

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 13:27:11 »
meh, I do it the lazy way, a syringe and press the stem down and add 1 drop, easy peasy and feels just as good as my greased, oiled and stickered switches that I got off someone else.

Can you please elaborate on this?

I'm on the fence about trying to lube some switches, but the idea of desoldering a 104-key board and taking it all apart is really discouraging... it's a little much, even for me.

Yeah, I just have a syringe full of the lube, ( synthetic teflon oil ) and just remove the keycap, press the stem down and add a drop on each slider point, done and done.

Offline Altis

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 21:48:50 »
Yeah, I just have a syringe full of the lube, ( synthetic teflon oil ) and just remove the keycap, press the stem down and add a drop on each slider point, done and done.

That would sure save a lot of trouble... no issues with contacts then? And they seemed to be smoother?

My first attempt at lubing switches was Alps black, and a few of the keys had some issues with the contacts for a while afterwards.

Thanks!
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Jixr

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 12:05:41 »
originally yes, I had issues, but thats because I was just using waaay too much lube. but using the syringe and very lightly lubing the sliders has not caused any problems for me.

I can't tell the difference between a traditionally lubed one and the way I do it, but while I don't think lube can hurt, I do think its pretty over hyped. I'd much rather take a worn in switch than a freshly lubed new switch.