Author Topic: "Weighted" vs. "Unweighted" Topres: Opinions?  (Read 2637 times)

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
"Weighted" vs. "Unweighted" Topres: Opinions?
« on: Thu, 25 June 2009, 23:25:54 »
I'm curious to hear from people who have tried both the keyboards with Topre switches that are "weighted" (switches with differing resistance depending on their layout, ala the Realforce) and the "unweighted" (switches with homogeneous resistance, a la the HHKB).

What do you think of the two?  Do you have a preference?

Also, why is the layout of "light" switches on the Realforce asymmetrical?  (There is one more column of "light" keys on the left side than on the right.)

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 June 2009, 02:37:45 »
The only issue I have so far with weighted keys on the 87u is that when I rest my fingers on the board I still pretty regularly wind up with "aaaaaa" and ";;;;;;;" on the screen.  If 45g across home row reduces the incidence of that, then i'd prefer all 45s.

But in terms of how the 35s feel, they feel fine while typing and I dont really notice the difference while typing.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 June 2009, 07:51:19 »
I would start transplanting the domes from the F keys and the page nav cluster to make an all-45g 'board.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 June 2009, 11:30:53 »
Quote from: itlnstln;99333
I would start transplanting the domes from the F keys and the page nav cluster to make an all-45g 'board.

ya, i've resigned myself to doing that, tho i'll do it on the white 87u that i hope to eventually swap to.  But i do think thats the solution. And fairly easy one too actually.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 June 2009, 14:33:16 »
FYI, the white Special Edition 87U with English-only keycaps is being discontinued. I can count on one hand the number that are still available for sale outside of Korea.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 June 2009, 14:35:25 »
Quote from: majestouch;99425
FYI, the white Special Edition 87U with English-only keycaps is being discontinued. I can count on one hand the number that are still available for sale outside of Korea.

ah, crap.

dont think i can pick one up so soon after dropping a bundle on the black one.

well, maybe I can hand-paint my letters on this baby. ;) (eek, more violations!)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 June 2009, 15:37:08 »
It's definitely time to learn to touch type.  If those keys fit Cherry switches, I would have traded as I would live some black on black keys.  I think they are the perfect compromise between blank keys and those with legends.  They are dark enough to be "blank" when typing normally and still existant when you absolutely need them.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 June 2009, 16:27:33 »
yea, I know, I should learn to touch type (its mainly the symbols I miss). I'll get around to it eventually. When i'm composing stuff though the last thing I want to be distracted by is missing keys (for any reason). Its hugely distracting when you're immersed in the composition process.