Author Topic: "Space Saver M" mentioned on Unicomp site  (Read 3300 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
"Space Saver M" mentioned on Unicomp site
« on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 01:34:15 »
Hey guys,

Dunno if this really means anything, but tonight I stumbled across this FAQ page on Unicomp's site, which I don't think is linked to from any of the regular menus—and noticed a couple of interesting entries:

• "Space Saver M – Unique Aspects"

• "Space Saver M – Locking and Unlocking F1–F15"

Think they're gearing up for something?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fanpeople

Re: "Space Saver M" mentioned on Unicomp site
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 02:03:04 »
I would say they are not, and that this is most likely what they are talking about

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/SpacesaverM/UB4ZPHA

I may be wrong though.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 09:56:54 »
The Spacesaver M is the Ultra Classic configured specifically for Apple/Mac users. The SpaceSaver M offers the touch and feel of the Model M buckling spring keyboard merged with some of the system and audio controls seen on Apple® and Mac® keyboards. SpaceSaver M allows for convenient control of iTunes®, Safari® and other applications running on Mac OS X® based systems.

The SpaceSaver M is available in Pearl White or Raven Black and currently only available in buckling spring and USB configurations.

Essentially the Ultra Classic for Apple.

Offline Den441

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 00:50:13 »
Unicomp Space Saver does not equal SSK though. SSK stands for Space SavING Keyboard. It got my hopes up for a second too.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 01:08:22 »
I had an SSK a long time ago but it got lost in a move. So sad.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 03:14:41 »
I had an SSK a long time ago but it got lost in a move. So sad.

That is a very sad story :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 03:54:19 »
I would say they are not, and that this is most likely what they are talking about...

Oh, right, the "Spacesaver M" being the Mac version of the Ultra Classic. I thought the FAQ table's lack of detail might indicate something under development, but apparently it's just Unicomp's penchant for incompleteness.

So, anyone have a clue why Unicomp called the UC and SSM such different names, considering they're the same size? I can't imagine a Spacesaver M is much smaller than Mac KBs, is it? And don't most Mac people use tablets and phones now, anyway?

Also, isn't it odd the UC is $79 while the Mac equivalent—which, as far as I can tell, just has a few different legends—is $94? Did Unicomp figure that since Mac people spend so much more than PC people do, they wouldn't feel right if the SSM was as good a value as the UC?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 03:58:58 »
I would say they are not, and that this is most likely what they are talking about...

Oh, right, the "Spacesaver M" being the Mac version of the Ultra Classic. I thought the FAQ table's lack of detail might indicate something under development, but apparently it's just Unicomp's penchant for incompleteness.

So, anyone have a clue why Unicomp called the UC and SSM such different names, considering they're the same size? I can't imagine a Spacesaver M is much smaller than Mac KBs, is it? And don't most Mac people use tablets and phones now, anyway?

Also, isn't it odd the UC is $79 while the Mac equivalent—which, as far as I can tell, just has a few different legends—is $94? Did Unicomp figure that since Mac people spend so much more than PC people do, they wouldn't feel right if the SSM was as good a value as the UC?

I think its best to not try and analyse Unicomp and its business model, it does not follow a distinguishable/rational pattern.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 05:04:21 »
Yep.

I'm sure we all agree—it was mighty admirable for those former Lexmark employees to buy the factory so they could keep making buckling-spring keyboards. Till then, though, they existed primarily to make keyboards for IBM (first as IBM's KB division, then as an IBM subsidiary, then as a separate company with IBM as their biggest customer). So when would they have had to do any serious marketing? I doubt it was ever a significant part of their culture. That would explain why the bits of marketing they have done seem like afterthoughts.

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:10:35 »
Unicomp doesn't have the financial resources to replace their aging molds.

What makes you think they have them to produce a brand new model?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 03:23:17 »
I'm not suggesting they produce any new models... How did you get that idea?

Offline dante

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 11:32:32 »
I'm not suggesting they produce any new models... How did you get that idea?

Think they're gearing up for something?

I interpreted this as hoping they were working on something.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 03:30:53 »
I wondered if they were, as there's been so much speculation on a Unicomp SSK here over the years. Far be it for me to expect companies with limited funds to invest in prohibitively expensive molds, though. (Ask anyone who knows me—that's one thing I've always been careful not to do, mold-vs.-budget-wise.)

And while I'd be as excited as anyone should U. reveal a SSK, how many units could they realistically expect to sell, after a few dozen of us bought some? How many of their existing boards do they sell? I'm no expert, but I'd guess there aren't all that many people who appreciate such quality in any format. Too bad, really.

Offline dante

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 08:53:15 »
I wondered if they were, as there's been so much speculation on a Unicomp SSK here over the years. Far be it for me to expect companies with limited funds to invest in prohibitively expensive molds, though. (Ask anyone who knows me�that's one thing I've always been careful not to do, mold-vs.-budget-wise.)

And while I'd be as excited as anyone should U. reveal a SSK, how many units could they realistically expect to sell, after a few dozen of us bought some? How many of their existing boards do they sell? I'm no expert, but I'd guess there aren't all that many people who appreciate such quality in any format. Too bad, really.

If Unicomp came out with an SSK in a traditional 80% format - not that weird abomination 75% that's on their facebook - somehow got around the 2kro limitation, and made a nice solid shell - they could probably move several thousand units across several MassDrops.

Additional features that would help would be different colored legend keycap options and possibly different spring weights.

Part of Unicomp's problem all along is that the product is too cheap for what it offers.  Just speculation but from someone not looking at their books they appear to run their business like a restaurant where everyone is getting paid but themselves.

The Negative Nancy in me predicts they will no longer be producing keyboards within the next five years simply because of the aging molds/assembly.  They will then turn into a repair only business / or selling keycaps.  Maybe they might do a bolt mod service.  Or simply close shop.

The Positive side of me says they have a SSK pretty much built but are hashing out very difficult technical issues like getting around 2KRO.

That being said, mkawa built several SSK's in his bedroom; so if he can do that what is taking Unicomp so damn long.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2015, 08:55:36 by dante »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 15:28:35 »
If Unicomp came out with an SSK in a traditional 80% format - not that weird abomination 75% that's on their facebook - somehow got around the 2kro limitation, and made a nice solid shell - they could probably move several thousand units across several MassDrops.

Ah, true, there is the Massdrop thing... I forgot about that.

Part of Unicomp's problem all along is that the product is too cheap for what it offers.  Just speculation but from someone not looking at their books they appear to run their business like a restaurant where everyone is getting paid but themselves...

By "too cheap", I take it you're implying their KBs are underpriced rather than poorly made.

Pricing's a funny thing. You may be making a fantastic product that's objectively worth more than its price—but if comparable used, fully restorable products are available for significantly less, the supply-and-demand thing kicks in. That's why what U. is doing seems especially valiant.

That being said, mkawa built several SSK's in his bedroom; so if he can do that what is taking Unicomp so damn long.

No doubt because they'd have to gear up for actual mass production—and as you mentioned, hope to "pay themselves" sooner or later.