Author Topic: poker2 and pok3r broken mini usb cracked  (Read 5444 times)

Offline alexofthewest

poker2 and pok3r broken mini usb cracked
« on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 10:54:49 »
My toddler decided to launch my two keyboards onto the floor cracking their usb ports where the wire connects to the keyboard.  How hard are these parts to replace?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: poker2 and pok3r broken mini usb cracked
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 11:00:51 »
If it's just the female usb connector it shouldn't be hard at all if you have soldering equipment. You can look on Mouser or eBay for the part and solder it on.

Here you go, won't get much cheaper than this, lol - http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pcs-Mini-USB-Type-B-Female-Port-5-Pin-180-Degree-SMD-SMT-PCB-Jack-MT-/331754677096?hash=item4d3e1ea368:g:KMMAAOSwGotWmF3m
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 January 2016, 11:03:22 by digi »

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 18:12:01 »
I did not get a chance to get those replacement parts, would anyone be able to help me find the correct part to replace this  http://imgur.com/BL9Hu79 on both my poker2 and poker3? Thank you in advance.

Offline kohi

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 18:33:11 »
I did not get a chance to get those replacement parts, would anyone be able to help me find the correct part to replace this  http://imgur.com/BL9Hu79 on both my poker2 and poker3? Thank you in advance.

didn't digi link the replacement part above

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 19:32:14 »

Offline kohi

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 20:01:01 »
Yes, and that is super appreciated, but that link is dead.  Is this the same thing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Mini-USB-Type-B-Female-5Pin-SMT-Socket-Jack-Connector-Port-PCB-Board-/161723081074?hash=item25a7726172:g:gGEAAOSwDNdVzh-H ?

oh lol, weird the link worked for me...
but yeah same thing

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 01:40:19 »
The replacement usb mini ports are inexpensive and easy to replace.  However, if  you have no soldering experience, it's a little more complicated than replacing just a key switch.  If it's your very first time soldering you may want to pay an electronics repair place to do this for you.  if you tech-gifted/mechanically inclined you may want to attempt the repair yourself.

There are the four pads which anchor the port to the PCB on the four corners. You then have to solder each of the connecting pins to the PCB on the reverse side or the mini port.  Here is a youtube video of somebody replacing a broken mini-usb port.

KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Erzegovaz

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 04:59:23 »
What is those things in the video over the Sn? Which materials use? And why? :)
I'm noob at soldering

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 12:17:56 »
wow, I was not expecting that video, thank you so much! I placed my order.

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 17:04:22 »
The set of parts arrived and I took apart my poker 3 and set it on its back. Looking at it closer I feel like the piece I am replacing and the part I have are different.  The broken one appears to have 3 pins and the replacement seems to have 5 pins.

pics:
Broken part:
http://imgur.com/YYvfMNV
Replacement Part:
http://imgur.com/qx9ojQl
Side by Side:
http://imgur.com/C6bZ9QX

So... wrong part?

« Last Edit: Sun, 19 June 2016, 17:05:55 by alexofthewest »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 17:18:12 »
Looks like you've bought an SMD replacement while the old one is through hole - are there 5 dots on the other side of the board?

If so you want these
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 June 2016, 17:20:42 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 17:40:48 »
I am not really sure, do I need to unsolder all the switches to find that out?  :eek:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 18:03:41 »
If you can shine a light in the edge you might be able to make them out, I'm pretty sure they'll be there though.  It's that or they're using an abnormal SMD part with the pins in a W shape, but can't think why they would...

Assuming they are you're going to have to desolder all the switches if you want to replace the USB port :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 01:55:10 »
I will unsolder them in a little bit. Any idea where I can get the correct part assuming it is through hole?

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 04:50:26 »
I will unsolder them in a little bit. Any idea where I can get the correct part assuming it is through hole?

Do you have a desoldering station? Desoldering a whole board without one or using those solder sucker things is going to take you a long time. I got fed up desoldering a numpad I was replacing switches on.

Also it looks like the crack is where the split is in the usb connector, at a guess the usb connector does work still. Have you tried using a pair of pliers or similar to close the crack? Might save you a lot of hassle desoldering a whole board...

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 18:33:56 »
I am not sure what a desoldering station is. I have only used solder sucker + soldering iron. I will take a closer look at the usb tonight when I get the time and see if a pliers would work. 

Still wondering where to get the through hole part.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 02:00:13 »
I am not sure what a desoldering station is. I have only used solder sucker + soldering iron. I will take a closer look at the usb tonight when I get the time and see if a pliers would work. 

Still wondering where to get the through hole part.

A good solder sucker is fine, some switches will take seconds while other take a lot more effort for no appapent reason.  Add fresh solder and suck again.

Looks like you've bought an SMD replacement while the old one is through hole - are there 5 dots on the other side of the board?

If so you want these

GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod