Author Topic: 2 questions about the HHKB  (Read 3782 times)

Offline piemancoder

2 questions about the HHKB
« on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 17:13:35 »
I feel like there's at least 20 HHKB threads made every day...

Anyways, I have a question for all you HHKB users. Is it really worth it? What I mean by this, is it really the best thing ever? What are the good and bad things about the layout, and do you guys like topre? I know that lots of people say topre is like a rubber dome, and the truth is, it is. However, not all rubber domes are bad, and if I'm dropping more than 4x what i spent on my last keyboard, I want to know if the switches, layout, feel, etc. are the bee's knees.

The second question I have is for people who modded they HHKB. What mods did you guys do, was it worth the money and effort, and would you do it again?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: 2 questions about the HHKB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 17:15:35 »
The feel of the 45g on the plastic-mount case is what sold me.

The layout is perfect for the size. I didn't like poker x. I love the HHKB and adjusted quickly.

I have done no mods nor see any reason to do it other than if you just like tinkering.

Like you said... you could have found these same answers in the 1029482093790 other threads.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 17:21:49 »
The feel of the 45g on the plastic-mount case is what sold me.

The layout is perfect for the size. I didn't like poker x. I love the HHKB and adjusted quickly.

I have done no mods nor see any reason to do it other than if you just like tinkering.

Like you said... you could have found these same answers in the 1029482093790 other threads.

Thanks  :) How long do you think it took to get used to it?

Also, I wanted to ask about modding it and how that changed it. I don't recall seeing a thread about that, but sorry if i missed one.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 17:25:25 »
is it worth it? to me, absolutely. is it the best thing ever? it's close. while i love everything HHKB.. my favorite switch will forever be 55g in a realforce board. im not sure what it is, but im guessing it's the fact they are plate mounted instead of case mounted like hhkb.

my type s is completely stock and i have no problems with it. my OG pro 2 was not modded for the ~3 years I had it and it was also great. When I got my type S i still couldn't understand why it was worth the asking price.. and tbh, I still don't. I don't see it as any more loud than the original one.

BUT, my OG pro2 is now lubed and dental banded.. so I'll see what's good. I know photek wasn't a fan of his type S until he lubed it and now he loves it. Even says it's  one of his favorite boards and he's a huge cherry fan. beehatch loves her lubed/dental band hhkb. i know a ton of people like their 55g lubed/silenced mods. so really, it's up to you to see what works for you. you might not even like it at all, which is fine. we aren't all perfect. just hhkb owners.

also if u flip your spacebar, i hope you PC burns down.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 17:30:07 »
is it worth it? to me, absolutely. is it the best thing ever? it's close. while i love everything HHKB.. my favorite switch will forever be 55g in a realforce board. im not sure what it is, but im guessing it's the fact they are plate mounted instead of case mounted like hhkb.

my type s is completely stock and i have no problems with it. my OG pro 2 was not modded for the ~3 years I had it and it was also great. When I got my type S i still couldn't understand why it was worth the asking price.. and tbh, I still don't. I don't see it as any more loud than the original one.

BUT, my OG pro2 is now lubed and dental banded.. so I'll see what's good. I know photek wasn't a fan of his type S until he lubed it and now he loves it. Even says it's  one of his favorite boards and he's a huge cherry fan. beehatch loves her lubed/dental band hhkb. i know a ton of people like their 55g lubed/silenced mods. so really, it's up to you to see what works for you. you might not even like it at all, which is fine. we aren't all perfect. just hhkb owners.

also if u flip your spacebar, i hope you PC burns down.

How does the dental band mod work?

Also ew flipped spacebar
Yoda grammar best has

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 17:33:08 »
what do you mean? like, how to do it?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34972.0

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 17:58:40 »
Yeah, how to do it and what it does. That post is helpful, thank you.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 18:03:45 »
I love the layout, the feelz are great, the sound is perfect, it's sexy

The only board I'm really curious to try any more is a 55g rf 87u

Offline kohi

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 18:25:17 »
what do you mean? like, how to do it?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34972.0

hmm debating whether or not to use hypersphere silencing rings over dental bands for hhkb mod.. wonder if it's really worth the price
how bad would you say is the reduction in travel, and which parts did you lube? just the foot and rails?

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 18:31:38 »
I think the HHKB is totally worth it. I am a big fan of topre, and agree that the plastic + 45g is great. The layout is pretty good too. I have been using ctrl in place of caps for all my boards for quite sometime now. It makes things so much nicer.

The worst thing about the layout, is that when I use a non happy layout, I hit //////  instead of backspace. It makes things frustrating to readjust, but I'd have it no other way.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:18:33 »
You guys mentioned plastic a lot. Do you mean the case? Wouldn't it be better to have a metal case? I know that it's been tried before and it failed, but if someone did it right, would you get one?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:19:19 »
You guys mentioned plastic a lot. Do you mean the case? Wouldn't it be better to have a metal case? I know that it's been tried before and it failed, but if someone did it right, would you get one?
Nope.

Offline need

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:24:06 »
How did it failed ?

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:25:53 »
How did it failed ?
I heard that there was a lot of ping, and there were other problems. I also heard that it felt a lot different.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:28:58 »
How did it failed ?
I heard that there was a lot of ping, and there were other problems. I also heard that it felt a lot different.

it also looked like a shiny metal house brick

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:29:48 »
How did it failed ?

The red color looked terrible, but didn't it come in other colors?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:30:13 »
I think the HHKB is by far the best board for me. If I had to sell all my boards and keep one, HHKB would be it. To me, the layout is absolutely perfect, and I change every board to be as close to it as possible. 45g Topre on the plastic case is quite nice too, but I would prefer 55g domes. I may do a dome swap sometime in the future, since I've been thinking about getting a Realforce. The plastic plate makes a huge difference too, and to me, I like it (the plate) more than the RF boards I've tried (45g and 55g uniform), but I still have a bit of preference for 55g domes (snappier is nice yo).

also if you don't like Control being where Caps is you're wrong

As far as mods go, I've only put Hypersphere rings on mine. I slightly prefer the softer sound, but there was still nothing wrong with the stock sound. In fact, I'm probably going to get another just to have the nice stock thock. I've also tried dental bands, but took it off quickly, since they took away too much key travel for me. As far as silencing goes, hypersphere rings are the best route IMO, since it's practically the same thing they use to silence the Type-S. Oh I also put some weights in mine to make it heavier (this is a must, it doesn't feel like a toy anymore), and I also put these on it so that it doesn't slip as much, since it isn't too good when it comes to staying put.

oh and it looks dope

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:32:24 »
How did it failed ?

maybe, can't remember

however i do remember that it had no incline, and the slider housings were a part of the case so you would have your plastic sliders rubbing against metal, which wouldn't be too good

Offline kohi

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:44:36 »
How did it failed ?

only came in red for the drop on MD iirc
the thread though, lmao: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76124.0

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 20:04:13 »
How did it failed ?

only came in red for the drop on MD iirc
the thread though, lmao: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76124.0

christ elrick is ****ing annoying

Offline adhoc

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 02:12:19 »
Had like 20 keyboards. Then bought HHKB. Then another one. Then a Type S. Then another Type S. Then sold all other boards.

After 5 years of use got bored of the HHKBs, sold them all, bought a Realforce. *Something* was missing. Then I tested out a bunch of Cherry boards. *Something* was missing.

Yeah, I'm back to HHKB now. Save your money, buy an HHKB.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 05:05:30 »
I think the HHKB is by far the best board for me. If I had to sell all my boards and keep one, HHKB would be it. To me, the layout is absolutely perfect, and I change every board to be as close to it as possible. 45g Topre on the plastic case is quite nice too, but I would prefer 55g domes. I may do a dome swap sometime in the future, since I've been thinking about getting a Realforce. The plastic plate makes a huge difference too, and to me, I like it (the plate) more than the RF boards I've tried (45g and 55g uniform), but I still have a bit of preference for 55g domes (snappier is nice yo).

As far as mods go, I've only put Hypersphere rings on mine. I slightly prefer the softer sound, but there was still nothing wrong with the stock sound. In fact, I'm probably going to get another just to have the nice stock thock. I've also tried dental bands, but took it off quickly, since they took away too much key travel for me. As far as silencing goes, hypersphere rings are the best route IMO, since it's practically the same thing they use to silence the Type-S. Oh I also put some weights in mine to make it heavier (this is a must, it doesn't feel like a toy anymore), and I also put these on it so that it doesn't slip as much, since it isn't too good when it comes to staying put.

oh and it looks dope

How well do those rubber strips stay on the case? I was reading some of the reviews and they weren't too friendly.

Offline obviouslygene

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 09:29:07 »
got my HHKB as my 2nd board.
looking to try more. but the more I try the more I like my HHKB.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 09:35:59 »
I used a fc660c for the longest time and when I switched over to hhkb it took less than a day to get adjusted to the new arrow cluster and the delete key being in a different spot. I loved my 660c and still do, but hhkb grabbed me by my bronads and won't let go. The layout is great, the feel is great and the best part, you get to join the cool kids club.

The only CON is if you work in an office and you type a lot, you will want one at work too and some places don't allow you to bring in outside equipment or they won't buy you a 200+ dollar keyboard to use.

Offline ajx

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 17:25:24 »
Its one of the best Topre because it has some advantages than other Topre keyboard don't have

- Sexy beast looking, most minimalist keyboard i have ever own

- Instead of many, i dont think HHKB type feeling is far superior to other Topre keyboards but its a bit different but still as great as others

- HHKB layout

- The only Topre keyboard that can use Hasu's BT controller, maybe of one best thing i ve purchased (actually i didn't, i ve bought whole HHKB + Hasu's BT controller, i am a lucky guy)

- Ergonomic/shape, i love how inclined the HHKB case is, it improves ergonomic, really, its one of my reason to prefer HHKB over another Topre keyboards

HHKB is not perfect though, honestly there is a part of layout i dislike, everyone agrees its perfect but i don't think so, its maybe terribly addicting but not dedicated arrows unlike FC660C does, would not suit to everyone
For example, i use my HHKB for many use, gaming, typing, excel, web browsing, i still need something which i dont need to hold keys

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 17:28:09 »

oh and it looks dope

How well do those rubber strips stay on the case? I was reading some of the reviews and they weren't too friendly.

I've never had any problems with them at all. They stay put really well. Perfect size for the HHKB too, it fits perfectly between the two feet

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 17:35:38 »
What i love about it?
Case mounted 45G Topre feels perfect, not too heavy not too light does not bottom out harshly like RF boards do.
Lightweight easy to move
Ultimate Layout
Sexy looks
Removable Cable
Hasu mod available for ultimate programmability
Stock caps are amazing

What did i not like about it?
Stock Rubber feet are mediocre and board can slide around a bit depending on your setup
Took awhile to get used to using Shift over Caps lock since Caps lock is on a function layer unless you reprogram with Hasu's mod.
No cable routing system since port is on back of the board.

Would also personally recommend buying a Right Angle Mini USB adapter to router the cord a little better and relieve some stress on the Mini USB port.

One like this  http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Right-Angle-Charger-Adapter/dp/B000FHBEFS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Overall i gave it a 9.5/10 on my Video review and rated it slightly above the Realforce 87U 55G.

*Shameless Plug*
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline ajx

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 17:41:30 »
Hum, did you notice any issue with stock usb - mini usb cable?

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 04:26:30 »
Hum, did you notice any issue with stock usb - mini usb cable?

Only that it felt fairly stiff (and looks very plain), i switched to Coiled with a right angle adapter and it near eliminated any extra stress on the port.  My setup is a bit unique however also in that i have quite a few things in front of my Keyboard and a straight cable coming out of the back will push against something on my desk causing extra stress on the cable.  So a routing system to move a cable to the left is near required for myself and this was a workaround since the HHKB did not have that option.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10