Author Topic: Cooler Master Masterkeys S - Thick PBT With Costar Stabilizers.  (Read 5122 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Cooler Master Masterkeys S - Thick PBT With Costar Stabilizers.
« on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 20:05:51 »
A while back this item was on Massdrop:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cooler-master-masterkeys-s-mechanical-keyboard?guest_mode=open

Fast forward I think it's selling on Amazon as well.

In the Massdrop chat I was chatting with a CM rep and he claims that he's been told the grinding issue with thick keycaps with Costar stabilizer has been fixed.

Has anyone since acquired the keyboard or know anything regarding this?

Also if so can you take a picture to show how it's done?  Thanks!

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: Cooler Master Masterkeys S - Thick PBT With Costar Stabilizers.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 20:50:53 »
I usually fix that by sanding / grinding / filing away the inside edge of the cap.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 21:49:06 »
lol yeah I know but I suspect they updated the stabilizer wire.  I want to see if they have a non destructive way of tackling this issue.

:thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 00:36:37 »
Interesting... I have the MasterKeys Pro S RGB and that has Cherry stabs

Offline Hyde

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 21:28:37 »
I think those are probably made by different OEM?  Costar aren't very good at making backlit keyboards (or very expensive).

So no one has tried the Masterkeys S yet?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 11:26:51 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cooler-master-masterkeys-s-mechanical-keyboard/talk/1790510?guest_mode=open

Got picture from this nice gentleman.  So to me it looks like they shorten the part that sticks out also changed the angle from 90 degree to 45 degree.....?

Now the question is where can we get those updated stabilizer bar.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 01:01:56 »
I think those are probably made by different OEM?  Costar aren't very good at making backlit keyboards (or very expensive).

Ugh. Now I'm bummed, I much prefer Costar stabs :(

Offline Hyde

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 22:09:08 »

Ugh. Now I'm bummed, I much prefer Costar stabs :(

Well today I FINALLY found out how to dissemble plate mounted Cherry stabilizers.  Turns out you only need to desolder the stabilized switch instead of the whole keyboard (which is like, 8 as oppose to 104).

Now do the reverse of that then you can take it off then perform the clip mod.

So if you have some soldering experience you can give that a go.  :)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 15:48:23 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cooler-master-masterkeys-s-mechanical-keyboard/talk/1790510?guest_mode=open

Got picture from this nice gentleman.  So to me it looks like they shorten the part that sticks out also changed the angle from 90 degree to 45 degree.....?

???  The costar wire linked looks exactly like every costar wire I have ever seen.  Two 45 degree Z bends in the wire to clear the switch, and the direction of the Z bend is 90 degrees "up" from the plane of the bends for the ends of the wire.

Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 18:26:12 »

???  The costar wire linked looks exactly like every costar wire I have ever seen.  Two 45 degree Z bends in the wire to clear the switch, and the direction of the Z bend is 90 degrees "up" from the plane of the bends for the ends of the wire.

Show Image

I think the new one makes it more like a 45 degree "up" instead of 90 degree "up".  Also it probably protrude out a little bit less now.

Drawback of 45 degress is that there is less spinning space now because it will hit the bottom plate sooner.  But maybe just enough to clear the thick keycaps.