Author Topic: Alps SKCM Blue  (Read 2887 times)

Offline tron

Alps SKCM Blue
« on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 21:37:14 »
Just picked up an Acer kb-101as with scooped double shot ABS keycaps and SKCM Blue Alps. The board is in decent shape, however, the steel back plate has minor rust spots and the case looks a tad yellow from age. The switches and caps are absolutely amazing and really do live up to the hype. The click/rebound sound they make is really unique and by far the best sounding switch I've used.

My question is: Due to the condition of the back plate, do you think I should harvest the switches and caps and use them to build a custom 60% board or leave it the way it is? I'm a bit worried about the switch sound loosing it's character in an aluminum 60% case. I actually prefer the sound of my Brown Alps in a plastic case. The clack is much deeper and less metallic sounding.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Alps SKCM Blue
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 00:40:14 »
If you really want to transplant just because of some minor rust spots, you're looking for excuses to :p . I'd say leave it as it is! And yes, they'll sound better in the current chassis.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tron

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 16:52:07 »
If you really want to transplant just because of some minor rust spots, you're looking for excuses to :p . I'd say leave it as it is! And yes, they'll sound better in the current chassis.

I never thought I'd say this but I'm really starting to like the full size case  ;D. I don't think it's leaving the office anyway due to the sound level. They are crazy loud (in a good way).

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 18:30:13 »

I never thought I'd say this but I'm really starting to like the full size case  ;D. I don't think it's leaving the office anyway due to the sound level. They are crazy loud (in a good way).
aha, blue alps aren't even the loudest clicky Alps  :))

Offline Auslander

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 11:01:58 »
Keep them in the original case, blue alps sound horrible when put in any 60% case, even the nicer ones.
HHKB JP | Realforce 104UB-DK | HHKB Pro 2