Author Topic: Change the Tilde Key on HHKB to DELETE?  (Read 2799 times)

Offline mlangner001

Change the Tilde Key on HHKB to DELETE?
« on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 17:24:21 »
I did reward myself today with a new keyboard: the HHKB Professional 2 for my Mac.
It is pretty sweet.... only downside: I hit the upper right hand side key, when I want to delete something.
I understand that this key (which has the Tilde Key ~ and`)...I get why a Unix user would want to have the Tilde key in that position, but I don't use it _ever_
What I would like to do is this:
Change the Tilde Key (~/`) to perform the DELETE action. - How do I do that?
Google pointed me to a tool called Karabiner, which was supposed to able to achieve that, but Karabiner doesn't work with MacOS Sierra, and the alternatives either don't do this specific action, or are very expensive for only being needed to do this one thing (I am talking about Keyboard Maestro)... I don't think that any of the DIP switches are of help (or maybe my Japanese is not good enough ;-) )
Appreciate any help.

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
Re: Change the Tilde Key on HHKB to DELETE?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 17:26:17 »
You can use a Hasu HHKB controller to reprogram the keys. https://1upkeyboards.com/hhkb-usb-controller.html

This will also allow you to make macros, shortcuts, and reprogram the other buttons.

Offline mlangner001

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 17:30:40 »
Thanks for the reply and the tip... Looks it would do that...
but goes a little bit above my skill level to open the keyboard and install a replacement HHKB USB Controller... and its and its even $10 more than buying Keyboard Maestro...
Would this be the only possibility?

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 17:36:48 »
This is a hardware based mod. So it'll work on other computers and with other operating systems. I think its a better value.

The process for installing it is very simple. It's just a few screws and then you just unplug the old controller and put the new one in. The only trouble you may have is generating your own firmware file but I believe hasu has an online tool for that

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 17:39:33 »
Isn't Function + Tilde Delete? It is for me.

If you want the primary function to be delete, you have two options
  • Hardware: get a Hasu controller as ultraidiot suggests
  • Software: SharpKeys, or some other rebinder

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 19:43:23 »
Just train yourself to use the proper Delete Backspace at the HHKB position, it is not that hard, I use that position at work and I use the regular one at home, no worries now.

Offline mlangner001

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 20:37:57 »
@ideus You are certainly correct... and I call already see the number of errors reduce on the HHKB...
The problem is that I am working on two different computers at home, and two different ones at work, plus the laptop.... so having the DELETE function on the TILDE key would greatly help with the back and forth.
(As much as I like to be able to afford HHKB on all 4 computers)

@xondat Thanks for suggesting SharpKeys - unfortunately  it only works with Windows.

Seems I might have to shell out for Keyboard Maestro... even though it feels wrong to change the behavior of one key.

On a positive note: I'm really loving more and more the HHKB... I had a number of other mechanical ones, but this seems really to be the best.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 21:12:56 »
You can create the keymap for the Hasu USB (or USB+BT) controller here : http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/ if you decide to go that route.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 07:23:17 »
@ideus You are certainly correct... and I call already see the number of errors reduce on the HHKB...
The problem is that I am working on two different computers at home, and two different ones at work, plus the laptop.... so having the DELETE function on the TILDE key would greatly help with the back and forth.

@xondat Thanks for suggesting SharpKeys - unfortunately  it only works with Windows.

Seems I might have to shell out for Keyboard Maestro... even though it feels wrong to change the behavior of one key.

On a positive note: I'm really loving more and more the HHKB... I had a number of other mechanical ones, but this seems really to be the best.
For a Mac you might try Karabiner Elements. https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Elements/blob/master/README.md

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 08:33:12 »

If you're going between 4 different machines and you'd want the same layout on each, installing Hasu's Mod is definitely your best bet, and it's not quite as difficult as you may think.

Ignore the bluetooth section, but it's as simple as removing a few screws, and unplugging/replugging in a controller.

This is also a great guide on getting the firmware setup and installed: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4d03zp/review_setting_up_a_hasu_controller_on_my_hhkb/

Offline arninja21

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 18:08:45 »
I just forced myself to use function + tilde to get delete. I use windows os and i always pree ctrl alt del to unlock it. It doesnt bother me now that its half a year of doing it.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk