Author Topic: Model M identifictaion  (Read 1644 times)

Offline alinh

Model M identifictaion
« on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 14:22:40 »
Hello,

I've seen the following Model M. The problem is that the back sticker is missing. Junging by the logo and lack of LED cover I think it's a "1390120".
Is there any way to get the matching info on the missing sticker by opening the keyboard? In other words, in the absence of the sticker how can one find out the model and the year?

Thank you

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
Re: Model M identifictaion
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 14:31:01 »
there should be another sticker inside the board. on bottom of the backplate

\edit
and I guess its from 1986

Offline alinh

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 14:37:09 »
Thanks for the reply.

Would it be considered somewhat rare?

Not sure how much it would cost; clickykeyboards doesn't seem to list the sale prices on sold items...

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 14:42:53 »
the square label model m are tendential a bit more rare then the ones with the oval label. But not ultra-rare or something like that. Some people prefer the early models cause they were build with the heavy backplate.

If it's in good working and cosmetic condition and you get it for cheap, consider yourself happy. :)

Offline alinh

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 14:46:58 »
Well cheap is kind of relative; being in Europe I can't seem to find that many US layout model M's (most are german, french, etc.)... there's not really a "flood" of Model Ms (that I can see) like US ppl have :)

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 14:49:38 »
Well cheap is kind of relative; being in Europe I can't seem to find that many US layout model M's (most are german, french, etc.)... there's not really a "flood" of Model Ms (that I can see) like US ppl have :)

I know about this problem, I'm from germany. :)
I often try to get Ms on german ebay for caps or parts, but as long as they are declared correctly in the auctiontitel as ibm model m, they normally hit over 50€...

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 15:14:29 »
Yep, that's the genuine article. Yep, it's a 1390120. Yep, it's a Greenock board.

Any other plant's 1986 will have a label sticker which has a clear sealer sticker overtop which pretty much NEVER comes off. Greenock boards have a haphazardly slapped on sticker with no protection which is prone to falling off.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.