Author Topic: Considering a Thinkpad  (Read 9964 times)

Offline itlnstln

Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 14:21:12 »
I still have an Athlon 64 3200+ in my home rig.  I have no desire to upgrade a PC I don't use.

Offline J888www

Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 14:42:32 »
@Kishy,

You are very fortunate not to have purchased a DELL product with the nViadia 8xxx chipset, but there are many thousands of disgruntled DELL purchasers with the gripe of DELL knowingly selling these defective products, not just little old moi.

issue, issue, issue.. The first two links are Posts which have spanned nearly two Years and still on-going. The third link shows the full extent to the size of the XPS issue.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 14:43:40 »
Quote from: itlnstln;179915
I still have an Athlon 64 3200+ in my home rig.  I have no desire to upgrade a PC I don't use.

754 or 939? If 754 likely the same chip I run.

It keeps up, as much as people tell me it doesn't.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 14:51:02 »
J888www: That applies to everyone using those chips at the time, though, not just Dell.

Go look on Thinkpads.com in the T6x forums. The T61 owners aren't happy. Or on any Apple forum. The MacBook Pro owners weren't happy.

The manufacturers that were hit the least were the ones that were using integrated graphics, or for whatever reason were still on ATI. Lenovo was hit the hardest by far, simply because most of what they sell is 14.1" T-series with the lowest-end discrete graphics option. Apple got hit hard, too, though, but integrated graphics MacBooks saved them from becoming the least reliable brand.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 14:51:10 »
Quote from: J888www;179934
@Kishy,

You are very fortunate not to have purchased a DELL product with the nViadia 8xxx chipset, but there are many thousands of disgruntled DELL purchasers with the gripe of DELL knowingly selling these defective products, not just little old moi.

issue, issue, issue.. The first two links are Posts which have spanned nearly two Years and still on-going. The third link shows the full extent to the size of the XPS issue.

Alright, apparent problems. Yet nobody brings to light the fact that there are widespread overheating problems (a consequence of poor design, not malfunction) with HPs...

Every brand has its problem models. I'm inclined to blame nVidia, not Dell, since nVidia would have provided the information regarding what type of cooling capacity is necessary and Dell wouldn't have gone below it. Companies like to save money, and it doesn't save money if you have thousands of warranty claims to handle and you know they're coming.
kishy.ca

Offline Phaedrus2129

Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 14:56:40 »
Nvidia integrated graphics have a reputation for overheating. I've seen even desktop GeForce 9100 chipsets hit 108*C.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:02:58 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;179949
Nvidia integrated graphics have a reputation for overheating. I've seen even desktop GeForce 9100 chipsets hit 108*C.

So then it's fair to say Dell may be a victim in this XPS graphics thing?

Good enough for me, case closed. Not Dell's fault.
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:05:58 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;179782
No such thing as Core Duo.

That turns out not to be the case.

Quote from: Intel

Intel® Core™ Duo Processor Family
Number of Products: 15
Has Embedded Products: Yes
Launch Range: Q1'06 - Q1'06
Max TDP: 9W - 31W
Bulk 1k Price Range: $280.00 - $663.00
[/URL]
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:07:36 »
Yeah, don't try to say there's no such thing as a Core Duo. There's one of them (the actual chip) on the shelf behind me.
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:14:35 »
The GeForce 8x00 thing, mainly 8600, was entirely NVIDIA's responsibility, but admitting fault could potentially have bankrupted the company in remedies, so they admitted as little as possible. NVIDIA's customers were then placed uncomfortably between a rock and the end-user, so there were many under the table deals,

This was further aggravated when that Charlie guy at the Inquirer wouldn't let it rest. Personally I Loved the article where he chopped up a shipping MacBook to prove the bad chips were still on the market. Pretty hard to ignore that evidence, eh NVIDIA? (I also loved ribbing my ex-coworkers still at NVIDIA, hiding behind their NDAs...)
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline J888www

Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:20:41 »
People were unhappy and blamed DELL for their problems because DELL knew they were defective and still sold them, then they replaced the mobo which also had this same issue (surplus components), hoping they can relinquish their responsibilities when the warranty expires. HP sorted this issue by replacing the motherboards which incorporated GPUs from Another Trading Institution, basically, they resolved the issue which DELL only tried to avoid.

"The Thermal Pad will cost £68, delivery included" by DELL.

Back to my original thread, I am replying the question of whether to purchase a XPS or Thinkpad and my answer is still with the latter.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:27:12 by J888www »

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:29:10 »
Of course, using that argument, HP is the way to go. The problem is, IIRC, HP used removable graphics, so an ATI redesign wasn't too hard.

Everyone else, it's on the mobo, so it's a mobo redesign.

Offline itlnstln

Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:33:55 »
Quote from: kishy;179935
754 or 939? If 754 likely the same chip I run.

It keeps up, as much as people tell me it doesn't.

Mine is 939.

Offline J888www

Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:42:55 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;179979
Of course, using that argument, HP is the way to go. The problem is, IIRC, HP used removable graphics, so an ATI redesign wasn't too hard.

Everyone else, it's on the mobo, so it's a mobo redesign.

DELL could of asked for a compromise and replace the mob with Intel Integrated Graphics ? which they already had in stock, but no, they want rid of the surplus defective GPU mobos ?
 Would replacing the mobo with another the nVidia chip mobo any different than with a Intel chip mobo ?

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 07 May 2010, 15:50:09 »
Well, yeah. The integrated graphics machines have downright terrible graphics performance.

If you actually do anything at all graphics intensive on a laptop, the integrated graphics machine is nearly as bad as a broken laptop.

Offline EverythingIBM

Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 09 May 2010, 23:40:46 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;180006
Well, yeah. The integrated graphics machines have downright terrible graphics performance.

If you actually do anything at all graphics intensive on a laptop, the integrated graphics machine is nearly as bad as a broken laptop.

Yeah, even the 5150 doesn't have integrated graphics :p
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 05:03:48 »
What, are you somehow saying the IBM 5150 is better than a modern Dell laptop because it has a discrete graphics card?

I'll note that the same applies to the T61. The fix is either go integrated graphics, get a T60 with ATI graphics, or get a T400/500 with ATI graphics.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 05:08:07 »
If memory serves me correct, the 5150 had the Motorola 6800's (NOT 68000) associated graphics controller. Obviously Intel then as now weren't quite cutting the mustard with graphics chips.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Considering a Thinkpad
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 06:20:21 »
That's not really the whole story.

Both the MDA cards and the CGA cards did use a Motorola MC6845 or equivalent, but that chip isn't a video chip, it's a video sync generator chip. All it does is generate timing. The rest is done in 74xx logic on the MDA and CGA cards.