Author Topic: JD45 Keyboard by Carpe Keyboards  (Read 158828 times)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: JD45 Keyboard by Carpe Keyboards
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:45:44 »
Ron, where did you get those caps you're using on your JD40? Those are awesome!

Thanks!  I got them from WASD Keyboards.  I had them custom UV-printed to match the Fn layers.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 20:52:48 »
EDIT: pretty sure I figured it out  :'(

So I don't know that much about LEDs or the like, but I've about half-wired mine, and have LEDs in the switches that are attached.

In order to see if there were any obvious problems with the LED behavior, I plugged it in, as is, and have programmed it. The switches that are attached send keystrokes as expected but only one LED lights up. Of the dozen or more on the board (closer to two dozen) only the right alt lights up.

Now, there is actually a drop-down choice for LEDs, and I think it was set to FnLock (I have locking function layers but that's for 2 & 3 and those don't have switches yet) Should I rebuild the firmware with it set to unassigned? Have I screwed everything up?

edit w/solution: I guess LEDs work backwards from diodes? I used a multimeter to test where to put the legs, and found that with the short leg touching ground, live probe touching the long leg, I'd still get nothing but the energy would light up the LED, a little. But not going the other way.

I further assumed that, like diodes, you put the place that needed ground, into the square hole. Now it seems I've got twenty-some LEDs, clipped into place, that are backwards.

...this is why I don't normally try to mess with these things.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 February 2015, 23:44:43 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #202 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:25:19 »
EDIT: pretty sure I figured it out  :'(

So I don't know that much about LEDs or the like, but I've about half-wired mine, and have LEDs in the switches that are attached.

In order to see if there were any obvious problems with the LED behavior, I plugged it in, as is, and have programmed it. The switches that are attached send keystrokes as expected but only one LED lights up. Of the dozen or more on the board (closer to two dozen) only the right alt lights up.

Now, there is actually a drop-down choice for LEDs, and I think it was set to FnLock (I have locking function layers but that's for 2 & 3 and those don't have switches yet) Should I rebuild the firmware with it set to unassigned? Have I screwed everything up?

edit w/solution: I guess LEDs work backwards from diodes? I used a multimeter to test where to put the legs, and found that with the short leg touching ground, live probe touching the long leg, I'd still get nothing but the energy would light up the LED, a little. But not going the other way.

I further assumed that, like diodes, you put the place that needed ground, into the square hole. Now it seems I've got twenty-some LEDs, clipped into place, that are backwards.

...this is why I don't normally try to mess with these things.

Light-Emitting Diodes are indeed diodes.  That is, one-way streets for electricity.  LEDs on all my PCBs follow these conventions:

#1 Long lead into the square hole.
#2 Short lead into the round hole.

#3 Power flows into the square hole, and goes into the LED.
#4 Power flows out of the LED into the round hole.
#5 Power flows from the round hole to the resistor, and from there to ground.

If you follow #1 and #2, the LED is installed properly.  If you don't do that, or forget the resistor, it won't work.  Also, for backlighting circuits, you must install the transistor.  Again, if you don't, the backlighting LEDs won't work.  Single LED circuits, e.g. CAPS, do not use a transistor.  (Also, if you install an LED backwards, it won't work, but it won't be hurt.  Just switch it around.)

So:

a) Install the transistor correctly.  I included an Errata sheet with each JD45 PCB to show you how.
b) Install the resistors.  They are not directional, but they must be installed; one per LED.
c) Install the LEDs with the long wire in the square hole and the short wire into the round hole.

Then they should just work.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Square holes generally mean POWER, not ground.

p.p.s.  Electronics geeks, I understand the specifics about diodes and positive and ground, but the convention above makes it easier for non-eGeeks to follow.  I refrained from using a square hole for the collector lead on the transistor, even though in this use case it carries Vcc+.  So if you already understand about anodes, cathodes and PNP vs NPN junctions, just let the above explanation stand as is.  Please?
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:57:03 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:54:50 »
Great info...I will have to store these jewels in my mind for when I attempt my future builds. Utterly invaluable, sir.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 13:50:13 »
Duly noted, and I'll start putting the LEDs back in (removed them all last night). But the reason I made this mistake, is because you test a 'normal' diode the opposite way. That is, if you put the black multimeter probe (that's ground, right?) at the square hole (where the mark is, typically) you'll get a reading. No idea what the multimeter is measuring _in_ but 650 seems to be what 4148N stabilizes at. But the LEDs, as I say using the same settings on the multimeter (resistance? The manual was useless is there a good site for reading what the settings on a multimeter do?) LEDs always read as 'dead' but putting the black probe on the long leg makes it light up ... suggesting power is flowing, and that leg should be in the same place as the n-key-rollover diode went ... black probe testing at the square hole.

They're just somehow, backwards.

As 00ZeR0 said, invaluable information; thank you for your help.

I fuess there's no need to double-post. I'm typinf on it now, and I see no one called me on my typo.
I have two Fs & no F_H key & the Y is in the wronf spot.

Also I screwed up three LEDs but I'm not foinf back to fix it now.

double-also: crap! It has no fewer than 4, 1.75x keys! Final construction as I built it (were the a,b,c,d options ever explained?) sees the bottom row as follows: 1.25x, 1.25x, 1.25x, 1x, 1.75x, 1.75x, 1.25x, 1.25x, 1x, 1.25x.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 February 2015, 16:42:14 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 10:12:57 »
I ordered the IC socket, resistors, and transistor yesterday. As soon as they arrive, I'll be able to build mine! :D

Note: I attempted to use SIP sockets instead of the IC socket to mount the Teensy, since they have the same pin pitch. Fail. Ended up desoldering the SIP sockets.

Ron, you said that to install the Teensy, you first installed the socket, then placed pins in the socket holes, then placed the Teensy over that and soldered. How did you keep the solder from flowing through to the socket connectors? Just use very little solder at first?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 11:42:36 »
I ordered the IC socket, resistors, and transistor yesterday. As soon as they arrive, I'll be able to build mine! :D

Note: I attempted to use SIP sockets instead of the IC socket to mount the Teensy, since they have the same pin pitch. Fail. Ended up desoldering the SIP sockets.

Ron, you said that to install the Teensy, you first installed the socket, then placed pins in the socket holes, then placed the Teensy over that and soldered. How did you keep the solder from flowing through to the socket connectors? Just use very little solder at first?

I put the leads in place like a little picket fence, and then put a tiny drop of solder on a couple of leads about 1/4" up.  That way the Teensy was held up in the air during the soldering process.

Once everything was soldered, I pulled the Teensy back out of the socket and then trimmed the leads flush on top and to length on the bottom.

Does that make sense?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 11:46:56 »

I put the leads in place like a little picket fence, and then put a tiny drop of solder on a couple of leads about 1/4" up.  That way the Teensy was held up in the air during the soldering process.

Once everything was soldered, I pulled the Teensy back out of the socket and then trimmed the leads flush on top and to length on the bottom.

Does that make sense?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Ah, okay. Yeah that does make sense now. :)

Thanks!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline neverused

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 15:29:36 »
Any progress on this?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #209 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 15:58:05 »
Any progress on this?

I just built my prototype this past weekend. Works great! But I really need a case of some kind.

I'm working on a couple things before making it available. Call it lessons learned from the GH60.

in memoriam

Offline neverused

« Reply #210 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 16:18:02 »
Well if you need another tester,

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 12:21:04 »
Here is an off the wall question for you electronic engineers: Is a 2k2 resistor good to use with a single White LED? What color LED's could I use this resistor with?
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline neverused

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 12:36:27 »
Sam posted some values in the SD-60 thread I think. Also, http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 22:32:37 »
The international prototypes haven't gone out yet have they?
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 10:50:21 »
Big announcement coming soon...

#hype

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 10:51:06 »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 10:52:04 »

#hype

JD45 now with brown switches

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 12:56:39 »

#hype

Damn, you guessed it already. :(

;)

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 13:21:32 »

#hype

Damn, you guessed it already. :(

;)

AND PBT caps!!!

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 20:23:46 »

#hype

I assume he's referring to what we've been cooking up together.

Sorry for potato quality.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 20:34:22 »
Wow that looks sharp.  Good stuff

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:49:45 »
Wow, that looks great.. the hype was real.  ;D

Count me in for a prototype case and PCB if that happens..

Watching this project with interest! The JD40 is one of my favourite keyboards I've had the pleasure of owning, and the JD45 looks like it's going to be even better.

I love the bottom row in those renders!

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 04:38:17 »
That's sexy!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:44:30 »
Unf. Will that sessy case work with the prototype PCBs you've sent out JD? Or will we have to re-build and purchase this kit?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:50:51 »
Unf. Will that sessy case work with the prototype PCBs you've sent out JD? Or will we have to re-build and purchase this kit?

Unfortunately, no. When I asked Wilba about doing a case for the JD45, he advised me that it would be much simpler to design a new case and PCB at the same time, rather than trying to design a case around either of the existing PCBs. I took that opportunity to revisit the layout options, and designed the bottom row to be more flexible.

Absolutely no offense was meant to either samwisekoi or Joey Quinn by going this route. They both helped me immensely in moving this project forward. I thank you both!

Also, I updated the OP with Wilba's sexy renders. Layout options for the bottom row are in the second post.

Both 6.25u and 6.00u spacebars are now supported. Both with support for Cherry offset stems, as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:08:33 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:19:36 »
I'm assuming the matrix will change?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:22:40 »
I'm assuming the matrix will change?

Yes, I will have Wilba send you the pinout schematic, and keep you updated with any changes as we go.

in memoriam

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:54:41 »
The bottom layout really does this for me, will there be LED support?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:56:47 »
The bottom layout really does this for me, will there be LED support?

Absolutely.

in memoriam

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:20:02 »
This looks pretty sick, I love the new case.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #230 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 17:55:58 »
Were there any prototype PCB's made for the first model?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #231 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 18:10:11 »
Were there any prototype PCB's made for the first model?
Yes, we had some prototypes made, but they were all sold to fund the prototype run (since it's very expensive, relatively, to have only 1-2 produced).

in memoriam

Offline pharaoh

« Reply #232 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 11:30:10 »
HNNG

IT'S BEAUTIFUL
hhkb type-s| jd40 | jd45 | keycool87

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 20:46:40 »
GRRRRRRRR!  Several months ago, when I first saw the design concept for the JD45 layout, I thought this was a nice-looking board with some features that I really appreciated, but I never considered getting one.  Since then, I've had my own journey of discovery regarding keyboard layouts and found that I can be effective at work with a small keyboard.  I'm planning on getting a Pok3r but I don't know when it will become available and  I'm open to buying a custom board if the right one becomes available before the Pok3r.  So, when I saw this thread pop up again, I took another look.  The JD45 is sooo close to the layout I designed for what I consider my ideal keyboard, that I was ready to commit to this.  Then I realized there were no ****ing dedicated number keys.  This could have been my new board.  If I didn't have to use numbers so much for work and gaming, I would be finding a way to buy one, maybe two, of these.   It stings that one design choice prevents me from getting a board that is so close to ideal for me and has the added benefit of someone else doing all the "heavy lifting" of design and manufacturing.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #234 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 13:01:03 »
GRRRRRRRR!  Several months ago, when I first saw the design concept for the JD45 layout, I thought this was a nice-looking board with some features that I really appreciated, but I never considered getting one.  Since then, I've had my own journey of discovery regarding keyboard layouts and found that I can be effective at work with a small keyboard.  I'm planning on getting a Pok3r but I don't know when it will become available and  I'm open to buying a custom board if the right one becomes available before the Pok3r.  So, when I saw this thread pop up again, I took another look.  The JD45 is sooo close to the layout I designed for what I consider my ideal keyboard, that I was ready to commit to this.  Then I realized there were no ****ing dedicated number keys.  This could have been my new board.  If I didn't have to use numbers so much for work and gaming, I would be finding a way to buy one, maybe two, of these.   It stings that one design choice prevents me from getting a board that is so close to ideal for me and has the added benefit of someone else doing all the "heavy lifting" of design and manufacturing.

yeah! who needs all of the letter rows anyway!  :o

Not sure how you would fit dedicated numbers in there without function layers

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #235 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 13:03:49 »

Thanks!!

And...sorry? :)

in memoriam

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #236 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 13:11:04 »
If you want a number row, sounds like you want a 60%, no?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #237 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:30:56 »
I've been aware of this project since day 1, but haven't kept up with the thread.  Regrets all around!   :-\    Looks fantastic.

I can't wait to see where this is headed with the case and new PCB.   :thumb:

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #238 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 19:49:44 »
If you want a number row, sounds like you want a 60%, no?

Yes, but JD made several great design choices that I won't find on a standard 60% board:  he got rid of the backspace key in the upper right, ditched the caps lock key, and made an impressive bottom row.  The only thing he could have improved, from my perspective, is to put the 1u key on the left side of the bottom row in between the two 1.75u keys.

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 10:12:24 »
Just finished up my prototype build!

Ignore the bottom row...

Potato picture calls for filters.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 10:15:50 »

Ignore the bottom row...

Show Image

Very nice! Be sure to cross post that to https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53617.0 :)

Interested to see some other angles, as well.

in memoriam

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 10:18:34 »

Ignore the bottom row...

Show Image

Very nice! Be sure to cross post that to https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53617.0 :)

Interested to see some other angles, as well.

Once I get my nice camera back, will do!
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2015, 12:34:23 by trigun0x2 »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 14:42:17 »
Let me just tease you guys a little with another render from Wilba:

in memoriam

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #243 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 14:47:53 »
Soooooo much want. Reminds me of a blank hhkb.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 15:01:17 »
10u home rows turn me on.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline joey

« Reply #245 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 18:09:36 »
That looks amazing!

Offline mattyIce

« Reply #246 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 23:45:06 »
Phenomenal. Amazing work.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 07:52:22 »

Show Image

Moar modifiers!
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #248 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 08:09:16 »

Show Image

Moar modifiers!

Okay, okay. The JD45 is all about options, of course.

in memoriam

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #249 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 08:29:19 »
I had to talk JD out of his original idea...  :D

98261-0

« Last Edit: Thu, 23 April 2015, 08:31:17 by Wilba »