Author Topic: Noobs Welcoming Noobs  (Read 4625 times)

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Noobs Welcoming Noobs
« on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 11:02:22 »
I realize that 60 posts is a lofty requirement for the classifieds section, but I don't think the rule is working as intended.

I have noticed a trend where people determine they need 60 posts, and then they proceed to "Welcome" everybody in the new member section.  I'm not sure if this is the intended behavior, but personally I find it a bit spammy and irritating as I'm sure the new members do as well.  Perhaps what we need is less posts, but a time requirements like 20 posts and 1 week. 

Thoughts?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Noobs Welcoming Noobs
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 11:27:46 »
Spamming the new members forum should be treated as spamming.  I like the time requirement idea.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 11:29:29 »
I don't get the point of either. There is always a chance that someone will screw you over, 20 post or 300 post; 1 week or 2 months; there's always a chance
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 11:30:50 »
Well I think if noobs have a chance to see how things work around here, there is less likely to be mistakes or confusion.

Signing up and making 60 pointless comments does not help them understand how things work around here.

Offline mars-bar-man

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 11:33:20 »
Hence the reason I'm still at 30 something.. I could have had the 60 2 weeks ago if I said Hi to everyone in the New Members section, come to think of it, I don't remember putting up a hello thread..
KBC Poker w. MX Blues

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 11:36:25 »
most legit trading forums i have used generally have a specific time period as well as a post limit for access to classifieds. something like 3months is generally good and only use posts that are actually in certain forums for the post count.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 12:07:07 »
This seems even more apropos considering the last spy check I did had a reply to my new keyboard and 12 cut/paste welcomes from one person.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 12:20:09 »
I hate the clutter of new member threads, it ruins the spy feature.

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 15:50:01 »
Like the time limit, could also let new folks bypass the post count/time limit in return for a donation to site upkeep?
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:41:38 »
You can make it so that the New Members board doesn't add to post count. Why not try that?
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Noobs Welcoming Noobs
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:43:07 »
That will just redirect the spam to another sub-forum.

I think if we keep the 60 post rule, newbs need to be moderated and spam dumped.  Otherwise we need to re-evaluate the rule.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:16:40 »
You can make it so that the New Members board doesn't add to post count. Why not try that?

In my old forums where I used to mod, posting  in New Members & Off-Topic forums doesn't add to your post count so you have my vote there.

As for the 60 posts rule, I agree that it's a little excessive since we didn't have that on the old Geekhack (pre-r00tw0rm era).  How about 30 or 40 post count before you can post in Group Buy/Classifieds?
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:17:40 »
25 posts seems more reasonable.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:20:03 »
Thanks MMB.  Anyone else care to chime in?
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:26:34 »
I don't really have any suggestions but I've been noticing it too and it's clogging up my Spy feed :S

Makes it very hard for me to catch up on what's been going on.
I love Elzy

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:46:05 »
I'm  noob here, so none of the comments below may be valid...

First, I haven't posted in any welcome thread except my own.  It seemed kind of unseemly to me.  As a new person here, I assume my credibility will take months to generate, and it will come through my words, actions and behavior.  Once that fuzzy threshold has been reached, I will feel a welcome post from me would be more relevant.  (This is one of the reasons I sign my actual name to my posts here; something I do in no other forum.)

Second, since this is a keyboard forum, one could expect that the members are gonna use those keyboards to post.  Because of that, I was very surprised that the sales-post threshold was so low.  Unless someone is a long-time member, why should they be trusted to buy from?  Personally, I don't think people gain credibility by frequency or by paying to play.  Time, insight, expertise and OT wit seem like better guides, at least to me.

Third, I agree that all the "hello" and "hello to you too" messages add clutter.  But sometimes it is cool to see where people are coming from.

So, some suggestions that should be taken with a grain of salt or tossed in the bit-bucket:

1) Exclude welcomes and OT replies from the experience count.
2) Add membership duration to the sales-post criteria.
3) Exclude new member posts from one of "Spy" or "Unread Posts", but not both.

Again, the ink (dye?) is not yet dry on my membership in geekhack.org, so none of the above may be relevant, insightful or useful.

But man I love typing on my noisy keyboard!  :))

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:47:52 »
That's a valid post sam, you've got the right attitude. And yeah, #3 I agree we should have the option to turn off the New Members board from the Spy. And as everyone else has said, membership duration makes sense.
I love Elzy

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:50:27 »
That's a valid post sam, you've got the right attitude. And yeah, #3 I agree we should have the option to turn off the New Members board from the Spy. And as everyone else has said, membership duration makes sense.

It makes sense but I could set up an account tomorrow, wait 3 months.....

What I'm trying to say is there is always a risk when buying online. The only way to become trustworthy is by buy and selling and having other members see that
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:55:20 »
This morning I woke up to 2/3 of the spy being posts from one person, and most were just welcoming other noobs. 

I agree that something should be done; lowering the post count requirement and a time requirement sounds good.

As l3oiler said, the 60 post rule has significantly reduced the amount of noobs asking questions that have already been answered because they were too lazy to read the thread, which was IMO much more obnoxious than the new member forum spam.  This makes the GB & classifieds forums MUCH less cluttered and easier to read.

EDIT: Removing the new members section from the spy also sounds like a great idea, as that would solve the problem IMO.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 17:56:39 »
There should be a new member thread not a new member subforum! That way new members can spam away and we only have to see one thread full of it!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 20:15:04 »
Is there any official policy on welcoming new members?

I noticed CLiB's user comment used to say "Official Geekhack Welcomer" or something along those lines.

I think it's kind of nice to welcome new members, otherwise some of them pour out their story, which subsequently appears to be ignored.  At least responding indicates someone has read their story, and I try to add an extra comment for each new member.

But I have found the last day or two that the new member threads are full of other new members just posting "Welcome".
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 20:43:44 »
Personally I liked the idea of the 60 post rule. I joined a month and a half ago, and it was only until about two weeks into my membership that I reached the 60 post count. In that time, I was able to gain a greater understanding of keyboards, keycaps, trends in the market ("what is this whole 'CC' thing???"), as well as an understanding of the "standing" of members around here - i.e. who are the veterans, which people around here have specific knowledge or skills, who owns what store, etc. Once I had enough posts to make a Classifieds thread, I had enough knowledge of the market to have a rough idea of what items I could expect to easily find and what were rare/limited, estimated prices, etc.

Honestly, I didn't even think of padding my posts with welcomes, until the few times I've logged in and seen the Spy and the last posts in the New Members subforum clogged with the same username a dozen times. One of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments, but I could never do it myself.

I agree that, regardless of what other course of action is taken: a. the New Members subforum should not count towards post count, and b. the New Members subforum should be removed from the Spy (I think it is fine for them to remain in the "Unread" list).

Just my 2c. :) I've really loved the community since I've been here and I've found that people are generally really nice, trustworthy and keen to help people with problems or impart knowledge when a query arises.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2012, 20:52:10 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 20:55:13 »
So I had a 4th suggestion, but I self-censored because it seemed harsh.  But oh well.

4) Why not include welcome replies in the sales-post limit?

That way all we dang newbies won't waste everyone's time welcoming each other. And it would prevent the whole welcome-spam thing.

Consider the above covered by my previous disclaimers; I am using  a dad-gum tablet with a picture of a chicklet keyboard, so I am NOT enjoying typing. (Want to make a chicklet keyboard worse? Make it two-dimensional!)

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2012, 20:57:04 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline MechKey

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 12:37:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

:)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 12:41:39 »
So I had a 4th suggestion, but I self-censored because it seemed harsh.  But oh well.

4) Why not include welcome replies in the sales-post limit?

That way all we dang newbies won't waste everyone's time welcoming each other. And it would prevent the whole welcome-spam thing.

Consider the above covered by my previous disclaimers; I am using  a dad-gum tablet with a picture of a chicklet keyboard, so I am NOT enjoying typing. (Want to make a chicklet keyboard worse? Make it two-dimensional!)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Because they won't read the rules so they will keep posting without realising it.

Just have a new member thread and they can all post in there about how happy they are to be new members.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 13:06:41 »
Is there any official policy on welcoming new members?

I noticed CLiB's user comment used to say "Official Geekhack Welcomer" or something along those lines.

I think it's kind of nice to welcome new members, otherwise some of them pour out their story, which subsequently appears to be ignored.  At least responding indicates someone has read their story, and I try to add an extra comment for each new member.

But I have found the last day or two that the new member threads are full of other new members just posting "Welcome".

You hit the nail on the head. Many people just post "welcome" or spam pics and don't bother to actually read the OP and ENGAGE in conversation with them. I think it is very important to do so when posting in new member threads.

This falls under the same general forum etiquette that you should post something more than "ditto" or "+1" or a single emoticon.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 13:35:24 »
People should be able to post "welcome" or a picture indicating welcome if that is how they choose to interact with the new member. Like the rest of the forum there are different personalities that want to interact in different ways.
I don't believe in forcing people to post in a certain way just because you want the content to be relevant. Of course if the entire forum consisted of people just posting "+1" and a single emote as replies, that would be a whole different discussion. But as we all can see there are more people that post sentences as replies.
Forum etiquette doesn't have to be policed by the mods as I am pretty sure the userbase will pounce on any chance to teach someone how this forum runs.

When it comes to the question of post count I think 25 is a good number that will limit the amount of "spam" in the different forums.

And one last thing. It's not like post count really matters if you are known as a perpetual spammer. A person can have ten thousand posts, but if 90% of those posts were "lol" and "YGPM" then people will know that person is as useless as a topre keycap on a cherry board.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 13:42:37 »
as useless as a topre keycap on a cherry board

Very nice.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to go install the MX keycaps I got from i3oilermaker on my Model M.  ;)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Noobs Welcoming Noobs
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 16:07:53 »
I agree that we shouldn't be discouraging people to welcome new members. I was a new member not that long ago and it was comforting to have a quick reply to my "hello I'm new" post. Even if it was a stock "welcome to Geekhack". However I don't think I would know enough about GH and keyboards/caps in general after only 25 posts. I myself am only nearing 60 post now and still don't feel I know enough about all of this stuff to host classifieds. Therefore in my opinion I think 60 posts is fine and the only way to stop people abusing the "welcome" thread in an attempt to boost their post count is to have those posts not count towards it as mentioned before. At least then noobs will be welcomed with genuine welcome posts with no alternative motives. Also I think the fact that moon took the time to make a nice welcome drawing should count for something. Even if she uses it more then once. I wouldn't expect her to make a new drawing for every new member. That would require actual moon power.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker