Author Topic: V60 Matias Mini Keyboard  (Read 18007 times)

Offline mougrim

V60 Matias Mini Keyboard
« on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 01:32:43 »
Anyone used it? There are a drop on Massdrop for it, and I thinking to join... As I understand, it's like Poker, but with better nav cluster and lacks programmability?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/v60-matias-mini-keyboard
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline faceyourfaces

Re: V60 Matias Mini Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 12:56:00 »
I have it. I like it: it allows me to enjoy the mechanical feel in school without annoying everyone around me. Any specific questions you have about the keyboard or the switches?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 14:13:25 »
I don't have it, but I am considering buying it. There are a number of good points, at least from my point of view:

+ Chance to get a mini-keyboard with Matias switches; an alternative to the keyboards currently available from Matias, and an alternative to Cherry mx switches.

+ Better layout (IMO) than the Matias 60 for which there is a current GB from Matias.

+ No backlighting (other keyboards from KBP have backlighting); this is a plus for me, as I do not like backlighting.

Some potential negatives:

- Might not be able to get Matias clicky switches through this drop; I have tried the clicky ones and know that I like them. I have not tried the quiet switches.

- It is difficult to get keycaps for Matias (Alps stem) switches.

- For me, the best 60% keyboard is the HHKB Pro 2. I like the Topre switches, the dye-sub PBT keycaps are beautiful, and the layout is the best there is, at least for me. I might like the V60 Matias, but I already know I will not like the ABS keycaps, and replacements would be difficult to find, especially dye-sub PBT.

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 16:16:23 »
The V60MTS is great!  I much prefer the dampened Alps to anything from Cherry/Topre.

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 16:17:41 »
BTW: Only need 6 more committed to get to the best price on MD.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 16:38:18 »
I've been eyeing up this board when I saw it on MD.  I need a 60% board that I can put my complicated blues in and use my original doubleshot ANSI winkeyless caps on, but I'm not sure that this is the board for that.  I am certainly interested in trying out the Matias dampened switches, but caps will be tougher to find for the V60 (would have to get a Dell AT101W) and stabilizers might be a pain.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 16:48:05 »
I've been eyeing up this board when I saw it on MD.  I need a 60% board that I can put my complicated blues in and use my original doubleshot ANSI winkeyless caps on, but I'm not sure that this is the board for that.  I am certainly interested in trying out the Matias dampened switches, but caps will be tougher to find for the V60 (would have to get a Dell AT101W) and stabilizers might be a pain.

TaoHao stopped by the offices of KBParadise to pick up a V60MTS to perform some testing this upcoming week (should hear back soon) to see if they can produce some keycap sets.  If they can I'll get pricing and hopefully it won't have a nose bleed MOQ.

The other thing I discussed with KBP is the option to purchase the V60MTS sans switches; it will include everything per usual but will be without switches.  They are discussing this inhouse but they seemed generally positive about it.  They are also sending out a request to get a hold of the new Matias dampened Linear Alps for another V60MTS variant.

Last thing is a V80MTS tenkeyless: if you want one express your interest at: kbp@kbp.com.tw

Send it attention to Daniel.

The V80 is doable but the fans have got to ask for it!

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 17:07:16 »
That's good to hear that they are finally talking about possibly doing the V80 MTS.

When I asked a few months ago if they would be doing a TKL with matias switches Daniel wouldn't even give me a "maybe" answer.

I really hope TaoHao can do the caps.  I would love to have a set of their Olivetti for my V60 MTS.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 17:13:21 »
Last thing is a V80MTS tenkeyless: if you want one express your interest at: kbp@kbp.com.tw

Send it attention to Daniel.

The V80 is doable but the fans have got to ask for it!

Done and done! A standard 87 key layout with Matias switches... UNNGGGGGHHHHHH yes please

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 17:14:43 »
That's good to hear that they are finally talking about possibly doing the V80 MTS.

When I asked a few months ago if they would be doing a TKL with matias switches Daniel wouldn't even give me a "maybe" answer.

I really hope TaoHao can do the caps.  I would love to have a set of their Olivetti for my V60 MTS.

From what I understand they have been so buried with work at the factory that it sounds like they've been living there. :D   Now it sounds like they've gotten a breather and are more open to discussing things.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 02:26:22 »
I have it. I like it: it allows me to enjoy the mechanical feel in school without annoying everyone around me. Any specific questions you have about the keyboard or the switches?

I used board with Monterey blue alps switches, and I was looked for something similar but silenced, so I thought this was a good bargain :)

P.S. I'm going to silence mod some Cherry board anyway, but I want this Matias board in collection :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 17:13:28 »
Sent an e-mail too requesting a V80MTS using quiet tactile or linear switches. Always wanted to own a Matias switch keyboard but I'm not much a fan of 60%.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 19:11:22 »
Matias quiet linear switch.

Pic from KBParadise's FB page
https://www.facebook.com/KBParadise?fref=photo
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline dante

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 19:24:35 »
I am very interested in trying these out for FPS duty.  The Ducky XM Black Linear Alps were WAY too light.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 19:31:23 »

Are these dampened linear?

Edit: yes.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 19:40:35 »

I wonder if these are the linear switches that matias mentioned, or if there will be a non-dampened version also?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline dante

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 19:51:34 »
Just got an e-mail from Tao Hao regarding keycaps for the V60MTS:

Quote from: TaoHao
I got the sample yesterday, compared the keycaps with ours and noticed some differences such as height of the keys. Stem spacing seems alright, our keys can be installed and removed smoothly. Since some keys are with special dimensions and I do not have samples with me, I sent the keyboard sample back to our factory and asked our Production Manager to find out all available key samples for my test.

So later this week, maybe tomorrow or Friday I may get full set of the key samples. I will get back to you with all details then.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 20:01:04 »
Just got an e-mail from Tao Hao regarding keycaps for the V60MTS:

Quote from: TaoHao
I got the sample yesterday, compared the keycaps with ours and noticed some differences such as height of the keys. Stem spacing seems alright, our keys can be installed and removed smoothly. Since some keys are with special dimensions and I do not have samples with me, I sent the keyboard sample back to our factory and asked our Production Manager to find out all available key samples for my test.

So later this week, maybe tomorrow or Friday I may get full set of the key samples. I will get back to you with all details then.

"Since some keys are with special dimensions"?

Keeping  my fingers crossed.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 20:01:48 »

I wonder if these are the linear switches that matias mentioned, or if there will be a non-dampened version also?
Hopefully Matias will make a non-dampened version.  Complicated linear green alps are not dampened and they are smooth as butter. Plus, the shorter throw is awesome for gaming.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 20:12:47 »
Non-dampened is easy to make: just get a click switch and a quiet linear switch, and swap the leaf springs. Result: dampened clicky switch (with a red slider) + undampened linear switch (white slider).

I think the frankensteined dampened click switches are great; I’m sure you can find someone willing to buy them.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 22:39:27 »
Complicated greens are awesome but they make Dat ping, a sine wave that keeps getting bigger,  could take down a bridge. Does a Frankenstein Matias linear switch ping that much?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 00:06:25 »
I doubt the dampened linear Matias switches have much if any ping. If you mod them to remove the dampening or switch the linear leaf spring into a clicky switch for an undampened linear switch, you might get a bit of ping, I’m not sure. You’d have to test.

Offline Jotokun

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 00:34:02 »
Non-dampened is easy to make: just get a click switch and a quiet linear switch, and swap the leaf springs. Result: dampened clicky switch (with a red slider) + undampened linear switch (white slider).

I think the frankensteined dampened click switches are great; I’m sure you can find someone willing to buy them.

You probably don't even need to swap parts... couldn't you just remove the dampeners off the red sliders? I haven't had a chance to try Matias switches, but you can remove the dampeners on Cream ALPS without issues.
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 00:39:51 »
You can just remove the dampeners, but the result isn’t quite the same. Also, the dampened clicky version is great. :)

Offline sdiearly

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 02:11:34 »
I have two V60MTS, but now I am lazy to take pictures for my keyboards.

Here is my friend's blog, this one is my v60 MTS shown in keyboard party of KBtalKing.

My favorite 60%:  TEX-Beetle
                 80%:  KBtalKing Race
                100%: Cherry G80-3494, Zowie Celeritas

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 02:19:37 »
non-dampened linear = great white buffalo

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 06:10:11 »
Can you explain? Non-dampened linear switches seem pretty common...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 13:09:33 »
Can you explain? Non-dampened linear switches seem pretty common...

Specifically the Matias/Alps style switches. I had an old Dell AT101W that was essentially linear, and to this day it's still the best feeling board I've used. Unfortunately every AT101W that I've tried since had tactile switches and felt really weird. I didn't check what kind of switches the board was (this was looooong before I even knew that mechanical boards were a thing).

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 14:26:25 »
I have two V60MTS, but now I am lazy to take pictures for my keyboards.

Here is my friend's blog, this one is my v60 MTS shown in keyboard party of KBtalKing.

Show Image

What is the short white spacebar?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 16:38:05 »
Specifically the Matias/Alps style switches. I had an old Dell AT101W that was essentially linear, and to this day it's still the best feeling board I've used.

Why don’t you get a keyboard with green or yellow Alps switches?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 16:40:54 »
Specifically the Matias/Alps style switches. I had an old Dell AT101W that was essentially linear, and to this day it's still the best feeling board I've used.

Why don’t you get a keyboard with green or yellow Alps switches?

ALL PRAISE BE UNTO THE GREEN ALPS GODS
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 21:39:49 »
My cleaned stock Alps greens are smoother than my lubed and stickered Cherry reds.  It's pretty impressive.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 18:42:40 »
What type of stabilizers do the large keys have?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 20:56:26 »
They’re Alps-style stabilizers on most of the stabilized keys. I didn’t check the spacebars, but my guess is MX/Costar-style on the spacebars (that’s what Matias’s keyboards do).

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 22:05:25 »
They’re Alps-style stabilizers on most of the stabilized keys. I didn’t check the spacebars, but my guess is MX/Costar-style on the spacebars (that’s what Matias’s keyboards do).

Yep, that is correct.

(Pics courtesy RED-404)

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 December 2014, 02:05:41 by CommonCurt »
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 16:23:14 »
Looks like Mechanicalkeyboards.com will be getting the V60 MTS with linear switches around March/April.   It doesn't say dampened so maybe they are making dampened and non-dampened versions.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1103
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 18:53:55 »
I received my V60 Matias Quiet Click Mini Keyboard from Massdrop. This is the first keyboard I have owned with Matias switches, although I have briefly tried Matias Tactile Click switches in a Mini Tactile Pro that belongs to a colleague. I like the Matias Quiet switches better than any of the Cherry mx switches (including red, black, brown, clear, blue, and green), but not as well as IBM Model F or Topre switches. Now I would like to try the V60 with Matias Click switches for comparison.

Overall, I like the V60. The 60% size is my favorite form factor, and I was pleased to discover that it was possible to use a combination of DIP switches and Karabiner software for the Mac to remap the V60 to a Mac/HHKB layout.

The only downside thus far is that it is difficult to find keycaps for Matias switches, especially for the stabilized keys and spacebar. It would be great if a company such as SP could be persuaded to produce keycap sets. I would especially like to see high profile (OEM or similar) dye-sublimated PBT or perhaps double-shot ABS sets, including modifiers and spacebars.

Offline dante

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 18:57:24 »
The only downside thus far is that it is difficult to find keycaps for Matias switches, especially for the stabilized keys and spacebar. It would be great if a company such as SP could be persuaded to produce keycap sets. I would especially like to see high profile (OEM or similar) dye-sublimated PBT or perhaps double-shot ABS sets, including modifiers and spacebars.

This is a Work in progress.  Right now I'm hanging tight until a Matias Quiet Pro is received by TaoHao so we can get some confirmations / photos taken.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 19:36:09 »
I received my V60 Matias Quiet Click Mini Keyboard from Massdrop. The only downside thus far is that it is difficult to find keycaps for Matias switches, especially for the stabilized keys and spacebar. It would be great if a company such as SP could be persuaded to produce keycap sets. I would especially like to see high profile (OEM or similar) dye-sublimated PBT or perhaps double-shot ABS sets, including modifiers and spacebars.
Signature Plastics doesn’t have the molds to make keycaps which take Alps-style stabilizer inserts. If you want new double-shot ABS caps, there’s Tai Hao, but MOQ is quite high.

Personally I’d recommend sourcing keycaps from old Alps-switch keyboards. You can’t really match the bottom row on the V60 on any doubleshots or dyesubs as far as I know, but you could get a not too bad printed ABS bottom row from a Dell AT101W (or just keep the bottom row caps that came with the board). For the rest, you could use the keycaps from any number of keyboards, but personally I’d recommend the Apple AEK or AEK II as donors.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 December 2014, 19:54:28 by jacobolus »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 19:53:07 »
x

Offline mougrim

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 08:56:36 »
I received my V60 Matias Quiet Click Mini Keyboard from Massdrop. This is the first keyboard I have owned with Matias switches, although I have briefly tried Matias Tactile Click switches in a Mini Tactile Pro that belongs to a colleague. I like the Matias Quiet switches better than any of the Cherry mx switches (including red, black, brown, clear, blue, and green), but not as well as IBM Model F or Topre switches. Now I would like to try the V60 with Matias Click switches for comparison.

Overall, I like the V60. The 60% size is my favorite form factor, and I was pleased to discover that it was possible to use a combination of DIP switches and Karabiner software for the Mac to remap the V60 to a Mac/HHKB layout.

Just got my V60 from Massdrop too. Hmm... I like it! Good tactile feeling and nice built-in remapping function via dip-switches. Re-mapped in to layout with ctrl key where it should be - and where it is on my AT F.

I still like my AT F more, but V60 is a damn good board, and now I can type at nights not waking all people in nearest vicinity :)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 10:29:12 »
It seems that the sound and feel of keyboards with Matias and various Alps switches can vary depending in part on the keycaps. I've been experimenting with keycaps sourced from various boards with Alps-mount keycaps for my V60 Matias Quiet Click Mini keyboard.

I was able to replace all the mods except the spacebar by using mods from a Dell AT101W. I like the convex mods on the bottom row -- they match the curvature of the spacebar. The stabilizers work quite well, and all the stabilized keys -- including the spacebar -- have a crisp and even response with no rattle.

I've tried several sets of alpha keys. First, I had a set from a Data General 6311. This is made by Acer, and the Acer 6311 reportedly has dye-sub PBT keycaps. The ones from the Data General 6311 had nice printing, but if the caps were PBT, they had nevertheless yellowed considerably with age. I didn't like the yellowed look, so I replaced these with a whiter set from an Ortek MCK-84. However, the Ortek caps caused some of the keys to bind. This binding problem has been attributed to some keycaps having stems that are too large for the switch sliders, causing the sliders to expand and bind in the switch housing:

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/apple-desktop-bus-keyboards-or-apple-iigs-t6375-30.html

So, I took the Ortek caps off and replaced them with a set of double-shots from a Suntouch Jr. These do not bind, and they look great. However, they have the clammy feel of ABS, so I am still looking for some dye-sub PBT caps.

So far, I like my V60 Matias Quiet Click better than any Cherry mx board I have tried. I have a V60 Matias Click keyboard on order. After it arrives and I find keycaps for it, I may do a comparative review.

Offline dante

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 11:55:25 »
Don't forget about the V60MTS w/ Dampened Linear Alps coming in a few months!

Offline mougrim

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 13:52:41 »
Don't forget about the V60MTS w/ Dampened Linear Alps coming in a few months!

Not my cup of tea... but there are enough people who will love it :)

Offline dante

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 09:15:18 »
I just updated the OP w/ additional photos in this thread.

Hopefully by Mid January we can get a group buy open for Tao Hao Alps.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 12:02:18 »

Tempting... Any chances for pad-printed Cyrillic letters on them?

Cuz KBP made a nice little keyboard, but keycaps are crappy :)

Offline dante

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 12:15:19 »

Tempting... Any chances for pad-printed Cyrillic letters on them?

Not possible, sorry :(

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 15:45:03 »
If you shop around on eBay, you can find keyboards with Alps-mount switches, and some of these will have Cyrillic characters on the keycaps. I saw one recently from Bulgaria, but it didn't use the standard Cyrillic layout that I am more accustomed to.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 16:25:22 »
If you shop around on eBay, you can find keyboards with Alps-mount switches, and some of these will have Cyrillic characters on the keycaps. I saw one recently from Bulgaria, but it didn't use the standard Cyrillic layout that I am more accustomed to.

Bulgarian have their own layout, and it's completely useless to me :)

Well, not that I actually NEED cyrillic lettering on my board, as I more or less remember where all letters are, but it would be nice to have them...
...or I could just buy white ALPS keyset and made cyrillic letters lasered for me  ;D

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 22:41:58 »
Compared to Blues and Clears how silent are the Matias', because I know they have a sharper tactile click than even blues.