Author Topic: Help identifying this DEC board + Key Tronic adapter?  (Read 3047 times)

Offline plunket1024

Help identifying this DEC board + Key Tronic adapter?
« on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 15:50:28 »
First off, admitting I am a n00b and asking sincerely for help. I am very grateful.

TLDR: 2 min video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN6v82COLkE

How can I get these beautiful boards to work?

I've "inherited" a "Key Tronic Trak pro" (similar/same as a "Trak 101" or "KB 101" I believe). It has two (what I think are) "Mini DIN" with 4 pins. Assuming again one for the keys and one for the trackball. It also has a serial port.

Aside, in the manual below:

https://neurophysics.ucsd.edu/Manuals/Keytronic/Key%20Tronic%20KB101%20User's%20Guide.pdf

There are dip switches. The Trak Pro I have has 4; they don't seem to make any difference when hooked up thru a serial to USB converter.

So first q: Best approach for getting this up and running on a modern Mac, say over USB? I am fine with spending $$$. If an ADB converter is the answer let me know.

Second q: I've also inherited a DEC keyboard without a model number (I am fairly sure it's DEC). This seems to have a 6 pin ps/2 connector, but doesn't work well when I connect it to my ps/2 to USB adapter which I use for newer Key Tronic boards, or any regular ps/2 boards. Has anyone seen one of these before and got it working on a modern machine?

Offline plunket1024

Re: Help identifying this DEC board + Key Tronic adapter?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 July 2023, 08:50:38 »
In case anyone finds this later! hasu and I think the Key Tronic Trak pro is a kind of MacPro Plus which runs on ADB. We'll find out in a few days as one is on the way to me here in the UK.

We are unsure about the DEC. Most DECs have a modular or SDL connector. So either the keyboard isn't a DEC, or it's a weird DEC. A "PS/2(or IBM PC/AT compatible) protocol IBMPC converter" is on the way and I will write here with the result!

Offline plunket1024

Re: Help identifying this DEC board + Key Tronic adapter?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 July 2023, 05:11:09 »
Good news everyone; hasu's adapters work well and both keyboards are fully working.