Author Topic: Novel Keys NK87 Entry BATCH 1 help  (Read 7376 times)

Offline th3_outs1d3r

Novel Keys NK87 Entry BATCH 1 help
« on: Thu, 08 September 2022, 15:24:29 »
I am looking at starting to build with something a little more budget friendly and saw that novel keys has a discount on NK87 Batch 1. Is there anything I should be worried about or should I just bite the bullet for the next batch? I haven't been able to find much about this and some help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline czhiddy

Re: Novel Keys NK87 Entry BATCH 1 help
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 September 2022, 16:40:15 »
AFAICT, the only difference is the lack of included stabilizer spacers in batch 1. Apparently, without the spacers, it's possible to screw the stabilizers tight enough where the traces are pinched and keys fail to register. See

https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetKeebs/comments/v2rdkn/comment/iau6mbb/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I bought a batch 1 and used extra spacers from other stabilizer kits I had. Zero problems so far.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 05:09:08 »
CRAP

I had NK87 Entry and it was poor quality, squeaking , cracking case, many plastic chip off, top case part not fully aligned and sitting straight.
Sold it as I could not return it - NK said its all within their "Acceptable Quality Standards"...  :eek:
I've had maybe 50 different keyboards in my life and I know what I was after, that product was totally unacceptable.
Never going to buy any products from NK again.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115565.msg3118096#msg3118096

I would stay away from this.

Instead, I would look into kbdfans Tiger80 Lite. I ordered one, they will start dispatching them in a week - I can get back to you and let you know good it is when I get it.
So far have Tiger80 aluminium one and its great - A LOT better quality compared to NK87. So I'm sure that Lite version will be great as well. Same as their kbd67Lite - best budget 67%.

NK = CRAP
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 September 2022, 05:52:57 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline th3_outs1d3r

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 September 2022, 23:37:17 »
Yeah, absolutely would appreciate it if could tell me how that one goes. Thanks for letting me know.

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 September 2022, 05:54:52 »
Yeah, absolutely would appreciate it if could tell me how that one goes. Thanks for letting me know.

No probs.
There is a delay in despatching them right now, they said a week or two these should start going out, so once I get it I will post a wee review.
I'm hoping it will be a good entry level, plastic case keyboard. Aluminium version is great, so that ABS version should be as well.
Definitely will sound deeper - all plastic cases sound better. :thumb:
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 October 2022, 18:06:44 »
OK, finally I received it today.
Just swapped my aluminium Tiger case with this transparent one (aluminium kit is out for sale).
I have to say, its really nice combo. Sound is amazing, plastic case makes it sound a lot deeper than alu case.
I dont hear any kinda hollow sound that all alu cases make.

I bought myself two cases - purple and smoked black. Both look great.

The only thing that I could call as a really minor con, is the weight of it. It is light keyboard. If you are looking for a heavy one, like Rama U80, or Norbaforce case, this is not it:)

Compared to NK87 - I would go for Tiger Lite, hands down, quality is amazing, 100% no issues like I had with NK87.
Plus this mounting method, it is soooo soft and bouncy, perfect example of leaf mount. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 October 2022, 08:50:28 by phinix »

Offline th3_outs1d3r

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 23:14:26 »
Glad to hear it was exactly what you thought it would be. This is definitely on my list. I am just going to have to wait until the transparent purple comes back in stock :S

Cheers,
Chris

Offline nosaj03

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 21:36:50 »
I still currently use my Nk entry and I think its a great starting board. It's easy to work with when changing out switches and modding for sound. I didn't have any issues with squeaking unless purposely twisting.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Offline th3_outs1d3r

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 November 2022, 13:19:13 »
Sweet, what have you done to modify the sound? Would love to hear about it.

Cheers,
Chris

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 00:11:37 »
CRAP

I had NK87 Entry and it was poor quality, squeaking , cracking case, many plastic chip off, top case part not fully aligned and sitting straight.
Sold it as I could not return it - NK said its all within their "Acceptable Quality Standards"...  :eek:
I've had maybe 50 different keyboards in my life and I know what I was after, that product was totally unacceptable.

Instead, I would look into kbdfans Tiger80 Lite. I ordered one, they will start dispatching them in a week - I can get back to you and let you know good it is when I get it.
So far have Tiger80 aluminium one and its great - A LOT better quality compared to NK87. So I'm sure that Lite version will be great as well. Same as their kbd67Lite - best budget 67%.

NK = CRAP

I was disappointed too with my NK65EE QC, the case was severely warped, making me use quite a lot of force so the USB cutout will align with the USB port, and it made it sound weird.

It took quite a bit of back and forth mails with NK_ asking for a new case, which they said they don't have, to eventually them sending me a prototype case, which was also warped, but much less so I was able to close the case without much force, plate is also quite tight and the USB port is loose, so there's that too.

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 17:02:45 »
CRAP

NK = CRAP

I was disappointed too with my NK65EE QC, the case was severely warped, making me use quite a lot of force so the USB cutout will align with the USB port, and it made it sound weird.

It took quite a bit of back and forth mails with NK_ asking for a new case, which they said they don't have, to eventually them sending me a prototype case, which was also warped, but much less so I was able to close the case without much force, plate is also quite tight and the USB port is loose, so there's that too.

I agree, NK = very low quality. Thing is, its not that hard to achieve high quality and sell product at low price. Look at kbdfans - their Tiger Lite is the keyboard that stayed on my desk - its quality and build is phenomenal, seriously good product for really affordable price, no contest. Imagine Frog TKL quality in plastic case for over $120 as far as I remember.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 04:01:10 »
I agree, NK = very low quality. Thing is, its not that hard to achieve high quality and sell product at low price. Look at kbdfans - their Tiger Lite is the keyboard that stayed on my desk - its quality and build is phenomenal, seriously good product for really affordable price, no contest. Imagine Frog TKL quality in plastic case for over $120 as far as I remember.
My KBD67 Lite was fantastic in comparison, everything about the kit felt quality and was almost flawless, I didn't find 1 single reviewer that acknowledged the severe warping of the NK65EE despite seeing several reviews with severe warpage, my beige NK65EE came with a purple silicone dampener, or the long feet that are actually regular feet with the corners raised, it's not important because you don't see those, but it's a somewhat reflection on the craftsmanship.

I don't know the first thing about manufacturing but when concerning design, I found some of NK_ design choices weird.

I get their initial design is outdated today, but their second revision was just more colors and a PC plate in a matching color, and brass inserts, why not make a true top mount? or alternatively gasket mounted, they have enough space on the case to make that happen, but that outdated screw less design makes the board outdated.

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 13:53:41 »
Yeah, I had kbd67 lite as well, great little keyboard, top quality in this price region.