Author Topic: FS: Siig Minitouch - Geek Hack Space Saver Version  (Read 6055 times)

Offline megarat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
FS: Siig Minitouch - Geek Hack Space Saver Version
« on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 01:15:17 »
This is a new, unused, vintage Siig Minitouch (PS/2), with clicky white Alps switches, sold as the primordial GeekHack custom keyboard kit.  I picked this up back when it was originally sold (circa May 2010), but it has been sitting on a shelf every since, and I've decided that it should reside in a more-deserving home.

This custom kit -- created by Geek Hack members, sold to Geek Hack members in limited quantity -- includes the original keyboard (new, unused, with all literature (installation and registration cards) and the original bubble-wrap envelope), a kiwi-green key puller, and a set of custom double-shot keycaps, in white on kiwi-green:  "G" and "H" (you can probably guess why), and two others ("GEEK HACK" and star), to replace the silly blank keycap this keyboard has in the upper right corner.  This set also included a double-shot keycap of the same color scheme that says "5k117" (the username of one of the users behind the project), although it is appears to be for Cherry switches, and won't work with this keyboard.

This keyboard was packaged in a beige canvas bag (of the type used to shuttle money to and from banks by armored vehicles), with the open end cinched shut by a length of kiwi-green string.  This bag has been opened twice:  once when I received the keyboard (to examine its contents and to play with the keyboard's tactile feedback), and again when I took the attached photos.  It has literally been on a shelf in my workshop ever since.

Here is an excerpt about this keyboard, from a blog post describing the sale:

<<
The original, Vintage SIIG Minitouch is one of the smallest, if not the smallest fully mechanical keyboard ever made.  Not to be confused with the later made Minitouch Plus which is not a mechanical keyboard.  The Original, Vintage SIIG Minitouch is incredibly well built, very sturdy and houses ALPS-style micro switches that Northgate and Vintage keyboard fans have touted for decades.  These particular switches provide very tactile response and a distinct audible click that is very clean compared to many variations of ALPS switches.  These don't have the "frictiony" feel that many sliders have.
>>

You can read more about the sale here:   http://5k177keyboards.wordpress.com/2010/11/26/the-geek-hack-space-saver-available-now/

I'm not looking to profiteer, just get back what I put into it, and I can see from archive.org that the original price for this was $99, so I'll start there.  PayPal is fine, although I hate it.  A personal cheque is also fine, if you're willing to wait for the cheque to clear.  If you live in the Seattle area, a personal pick-up can be arranged.

The keyboard will be well-packed, and shipped for actual cost (that is, any residual from the paid shipping will be refunded).  I will happily ship to international buyers.  I suspect that shipping will be about US$12 to domestic recipients, and US$30-40 internationally (including Canada, sorry).

If you're interested, please send me a PM.  Thanks for reading.

« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 01:25:00 by megarat »

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
Re: FS: Siig Minitouch - Geek Hack Space Saver Version
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 01:17:59 »
PMd

Yeah, I'll take this.

Gupgup

Offline tobr1an

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 01:20:51 »
A very nice board and those caps

Offline calavera

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 01:26:10 »
So is this spoken for?

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 01:37:01 »
Woah, Megarat! Nice to see you around, been a while!

Thanks again for the keys long, long ago. Great to see this board you got from 5k177 / didjamatic!
It was a sweet board and one awesome original gh offering. Hmm... I should really think about this one again.
Hmmm...

-cc   =)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 01:41:14 »
Indeed, I received a response within a few minutes, and we're currently working out the details.  Thanks all, for your interest.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 01:43:08 by megarat »

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 01:49:02 »
Woah, Megarat! Nice to see you around, been a while!

Thanks again for the keys long, long ago. Great to see this board you got from 5k177 / didjamatic!
It was a sweet board and one awesome original gh offering. Hmm... I should really think about this one again.
Hmmm...

-cc   =)

Hey man, it's good to hear from you too.  Agreed, it's been far too long since I've spent any real time on GH ... in part because of other hobbies/diversions/interests fighting for priority, and in part because I've been so happy with my custom-modded white Alps tenkeyless for the last few years (Filco Zero with NOS Alps switches transplanted from an SGI Indigo/Crimson keyboard, and using the SGI keycaps where possible), so I haven't felt the need to get into anything new.  It's like being happily married ... my eye may stray from time to time, but my interest isn't strong enough to go beyond there.

That said, I'm still working on my Mystery (Keyboard) Project X and hope to have it finished someday (this year?  next?) ... I'll definitely be back to post the details when the time is right.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 01:56:55 by megarat »

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:35:32 »
=)

Yeah, hobbies, They're evil! Or wonderful, I can never quite tell.
Your old custom board sounds great! Other switches seem to be easier to mod, but for some reason ALPS switches (to me at least) seem to undergo some of the most interesting and significant transformations.

As far as the marriage analogy... what? Are you trying to say imma gunna be a cheater?!?  =P

Good luck on Project X, can't wait to see it!

-cc  =)

Oh! One more thing, if by chance the SIIG deal goes south, don't hesitate to throw that listing back up! I know a couple of people who would jump at it! Though I'm sure there are quite a few others interested as well.
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline Maxrunner

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 20:35:20 »
Is it sold yet?

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 20:41:38 »

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 20:48:56 »
You're lucky, took me a good 3-4 months to find one of these, the GHSS edition that is
Keyboardless

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 20:50:22 »
Is it sold yet?

Yesum :D

Grats! If you ever wanna get rid of the drawstring bag lemme know :)

Offline Maxrunner

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 20:58:34 »
Isnt the monterey version switches more "valuable"?i have the monterey switches but i was interested in the geek hack switches version.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 02:24:23 »
Wow, megarat -- one of the Great Old Ones graces us!  I remember reading your posts in iMav's original RIT dye thread when I was but a keyboard lad. :D

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 02:31:50 »
Dang, I wish I saw this sooner.

Offline Maxrunner

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 06:17:29 »
Dang, I wish I saw this sooner.

yep me too, google alert wasnt fast enough lol

Offline ironman31

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 17:03:58 »
I'll be selling a used one on here soon.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Maxrunner

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 04:51:59 »
What kind of alps does this version use?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 06:33:22 »
What kind of alps does this version use?

The clicky white alps. They may be clones?

Offline TranscendingLogic

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:20:32 »
I believe they're called XMs.