Author Topic: I built my first custom mechanical keyboard  (Read 1965 times)

Offline HowardBuilds

• YouTube
I built my first custom mechanical keyboard
« on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 14:18:39 »
I finally built my first mechanical keyboard!! Parts I used:
PCB: DZ60RGB V2 Hot Swap PCB
Switches: NovelKeys Cream Switches (Lubed with Krytox 205G0)
Stab: GMK Screw In Stabilizers
Keycaps: Maxkey Black Doubleshot ABS Keycaps (SA Profile)
Case: Walnut Wood Case
Brass Plate / PCB Foam / Case Foam

Video:

Offline Maledicted

Re: I built my first custom mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 09:15:09 »
That looks great.  :thumb:

I was going to do a similar case, plate, and layout myself at some point. I have most of the parts sitting around, but I need more walnut caps since I was mixing and matching for those.

I imagine you're going to love that one for a long time.

Offline HowardBuilds

• YouTube
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 11:04:16 »
I was going to do a similar case, plate, and layout myself at some point. I have most of the parts sitting around, but I need more walnut caps since I was mixing and matching for those.

Thanks! What walnut caps are you using? i was thinking about it too

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 11:50:08 »

Thanks! What walnut caps are you using? i was thinking about it too

I was mostly just getting walnut caps to try to compensate for using cap sets that aren't meant for that layout (I don't typically bother with expensive sets that would have literally everything for any layout). I could have sworn that I had found a spacebar and purchased it, but apparently I hadn't, so everything sits until I stop being lazy and order one. I think I got them from random sources. Some from Chinese sellers on Ebay, and some on Aliexpress, depending on price and availability. I was going to try out gold zinc caps for most of the standard-sized keys, because why not? I also figured an earthy set would work otherwise. Something in green and/or brown, or maroon.

I'm using a full zinc TKL set on this Corsair K65 I swapped box navies into, and it is endlessly entertaining. A full set ends up adding up fast though.

Offline HowardBuilds

• YouTube
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 15:37:54 »
I was mostly just getting walnut caps to try to compensate for using cap sets that aren't meant for that layout (I don't typically bother with expensive sets that would have literally everything for any layout). I could have sworn that I had found a spacebar and purchased it, but apparently I hadn't, so everything sits until I stop being lazy and order one. I think I got them from random sources. Some from Chinese sellers on Ebay, and some on Aliexpress, depending on price and availability. I was going to try out gold zinc caps for most of the standard-sized keys, because why not? I also figured an earthy set would work otherwise. Something in green and/or brown, or maroon.

I'm using a full zinc TKL set on this Corsair K65 I swapped box navies into, and it is endlessly entertaining. A full set ends up adding up fast though.

Full zinc TKL + navies must be so nice! I was thinking of a SA brass . gold zinc accent keycap for the ESC key but couldnt find any. So far I like how the SA caps sounds and looks.

My whole build, the most annoying part I would say is lubing the switches. Its so tedious and time consuming.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 18:04:25 »

Full zinc TKL + navies must be so nice! I was thinking of a SA brass . gold zinc accent keycap for the ESC key but couldnt find any. So far I like how the SA caps sounds and looks.

My whole build, the most annoying part I would say is lubing the switches. Its so tedious and time consuming.

It is entertaining to be sure. Very pingy, but I find that to be half of the charm.

Yeah, I tried just now and couldn't find anything on Aliexpress that specifically mentions an escape key in zinc right now. Availability has always seemed pretty volatile on there. It looks like most of the lots I ordered are still up, but I forget which one came with escape. You might have to ask one of the vendors of zinc caps. The canned descriptions can be pretty poor, unfortunately.

I'm a clicky guy, and I have seen what happens to lubricants after a few decades, so I don't bother to lube anything. Being lazy helps too. I have taken apart a few keyboards worth of Matias switches to swap their guts around though, so I feel your pain.

Offline HowardBuilds

• YouTube
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 20:29:57 »
It is entertaining to be sure. Very pingy, but I find that to be half of the charm.

Yeah, I tried just now and couldn't find anything on Aliexpress that specifically mentions an escape key in zinc right now. Availability has always seemed pretty volatile on there. It looks like most of the lots I ordered are still up, but I forget which one came with escape. You might have to ask one of the vendors of zinc caps. The canned descriptions can be pretty poor, unfortunately.

I'm a clicky guy, and I have seen what happens to lubricants after a few decades, so I don't bother to lube anything. Being lazy helps too. I have taken apart a few keyboards worth of Matias switches to swap their guts around though, so I feel your pain.

I found a titanium keycap from Zaprisco and I ordered one! gonna post here when i receive it :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 08:35:34 »

I found a titanium keycap from Zaprisco and I ordered one! gonna post here when i receive it :)

Nice. If they're the same as all of the others I have seen, they're very hefty. An entertaining experience if nothing else.

Offline HowardBuilds

• YouTube
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 23:00:20 »
This is the Titanium Keycap from Zaprisco: