Author Topic: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange  (Read 221894 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #250 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 01:34:55 »
I'm not sure I've ever had Pu Erh. But I've been drinking a lot of Oolong at work lately. We can do an exchange nubbinator but I have to find a place that has something nice here where I live.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #251 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 02:02:13 »
Doesn't necessarily have to be nice, just interesting, different, or a personal favorite.  I'd probably send you some Assam Breakfast tea or Irish Breakfast tea, some Pu Erh, and some different Oolong or Darjeeling teas I find and like.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #252 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 06:04:02 »
I really want to participate in this but I ironically don't know where to buy good coffee. Ironic because I'm in the Seattle area, but all I see around are chains.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #253 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 06:33:55 »
I really want to participate in this but I ironically don't know where to buy good coffee. Ironic because I'm in the Seattle area, but all I see around are chains.

This is going to be a great start :)  Some chains in seattle still roast in house.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=seattle+coffee+roasters&ie=UTF-8&ei=8lC8UYj2Dq3W0gHeq4CYDA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #254 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 12:11:39 »

Check out Lighthouse Coffee.  I know there are a couple of others, but that was one of the better ones.

And to be fair, Seattle has a ton of coffee shops, they're not necessarily great ones though.

Offline metafour

« Reply #255 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 13:26:07 »
For those of you that don't have a roaster close by I've been using Tonx. They roast on Sundays and mail it out to you on Monday. I usually get mine on Wednesday. It's a different source every two weeks.

Referral link: https://tonx.org/167968f4
Non-referral link: tonx.org

Also, if you sign up by tomorrow they'll give you a free Aeropress.

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #256 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 23:22:48 »
I found a decent sale on a rancilio silvia v3 w/ rocky grinder ($885 shipped from jlhufford.com w/ coupon code italy10, in case you were curious), so it looks like my aeropress will get one more week of solid use before it's sent off to an early retirement of dust collection/backup duty.

So, to those who own espresso machines, any recommended accessories?  I guess I need a tamper?  And one of those steel milk frothing containers?  What else?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #257 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 23:56:57 »
yuck.... milk foam :(

lol I would say get yourself a nice cheap brush to help you clean up the machine.  A tamp is good stuff.

Make sure you get descaler for your machine.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #258 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 08:36:37 »
I found a decent sale on a rancilio silvia v3 w/ rocky grinder ($885 shipped from jlhufford.com w/ coupon code italy10, in case you were curious), so it looks like my aeropress will get one more week of solid use before it's sent off to an early retirement of dust collection/backup duty.

So, to those who own espresso machines, any recommended accessories?  I guess I need a tamper?  And one of those steel milk frothing containers?  What else?

Cleaning beans.  I use "Grindz."  Also a timer for dialing in the grind.  (Go to wholelattelove.com and watch the videos.)

And a whole bunch of care-and-feeding stuff for the Silvia!

Great buy!  Congrats!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #259 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 15:52:13 »
Thanks for the suggestions!

The Rancilio arrived in the mail today; set everything up, pulled a few shots (which got better tasting as I went along), and needless to say I'm pretty hyped-up on caffeine right now.  I may just never sleep again.  Anywho, included with my purchase was a $70 gift certificate, so I ordered an assortment of accessories (tamper, tamping mat, knock box, frothing pitcher, thermometer, double wall shot glasses, some cleaning supplies, etc.), and am really looking forward to finishing off the beans I have so I can move on to a new bag of super fresh stuff and see just how much crema I can produce.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #260 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 16:08:21 »
Good haul man you went all in. I recently got in the espresso game with a delonghi ec155. Nothing compared to the big dog machines but it does OK for me. Hope to get a real machine one day.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #261 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 19:57:55 »
Anyone want some Kenya AA Light Roast?  My roaster-guy adds something different each delivery, and this is tasty, but not to my liking.  Good aroma, great crema, but too light and fruit-forward for my taste.

I have a couple of pounds, and if you want some, pay the shipping and they are yours.  One pound fills a $5.50 flat rate Priority box.

PM me if you want some.

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 19:20:38 »

Thanks Whiteduck!! The mailbox was INFUSED with the smell of coffee. Can't wait to try some of this!

It's the Intelligista blends he posted earlier.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:46:12 »
Next free offer:  Espresso ground DECAF blend from a premier independent roaster.

Anyone who knows me or visited my office during the great Retro DSA pack-a-thon knows that we have a serious espresso infrastructure.  Industrial brewer, dual grinders holding different beans, triple redundant backups, and a relationship with the best coffee roaster I've found in the San Francisco-San Jose sprawl.

We get regular deliveries of a variety of pre-roast and post-roast blends, and typically consume quite a lot.  Because we have two different full-strength beans in the hoppers of the grinders at all times, we have a custom Dark Roast DECAFFEINATED Espresso blend delivered already ground.

Unfortunately and sadly, a few of the guys here have dropped or stopped coffee consumption for "health and fitness" reasons.  Our roaster suggests they find new medical professionals to give them better advice, but so far to no avail.

What this means is that I have an excess of coffee.  Specifically I have three extra pounds of custom Dark Roast DECAFFEINATED Espresso blend coffee.  It is ground for an espresso machine, but I use it at home in a paper cone and it works just fine.  It is a dark blend, and goes really well in a 50/50 mix with a dark roast.

Anyhow, the first three people who would like a pound of custom Dark Roast DECAFFEINATED Espresso blend PRE-GROUND for espresso or filter, please send me a pm with your ship-to and PayPal e-mail.  I'll drop them in a USPS Priority small flat-rate box and send you an invoice for $5.50 to cover postage.

TL;DR Free premium decaf espresso for the cost of mailing.  First come, first serve.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Kenya AA beans are all gone, gone, gone.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2013, 12:02:34 by samwisekoi »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 12:06:59 »
Ron, I love that you're bringing these offers here.

Thank you so much.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #265 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 17:35:55 »
... SOON

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #266 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 13:27:56 »
Where did that bag of coffee end up going?  Any great exchanges abound?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #267 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 13:30:14 »

There's a lot of it inside me. It is delicious. Thank you so much Binge :D

I will be sending you some coffee in return very soon ^__^

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #268 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 17:52:30 »
What is the general consensus on the Fry's coffee (made by San Francisco Roasting Co.)?  The SF blend is my current favorite coffee. 

I am looking to branch out a bit.

I like a medium to rich blend with low acid. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #269 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 22:04:50 »
Throw what you know out the window! :D

One thing I find is that you might get a bean sourced and roasted for a while and it tastes the same, but because each bean is a crop it has an overall flavor.  Some bags of coffee I've had are just much better than the others.

Also... acid can be good or bad.  One coffee we had going around here was all acid and it was not bad.  Not really bad at all.  Not a favorite, but that sort of opened my eyes to something a little different than the standard definition of "acidic" coffees.

@_@ open your bad wrench mind @_@

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 22:57:28 »
What an inspiring thread. I think I will pick up an Aero Press and a grinder for my wife's birthday. I'll need to find a good source for beans too. Thanks for all the knowledge guys.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 22:58:06 »
Throw what you know out the window! :D

One thing I find is that you might get a bean sourced and roasted for a while and it tastes the same, but because each bean is a crop it has an overall flavor.  Some bags of coffee I've had are just much better than the others.

Also... acid can be good or bad.  One coffee we had going around here was all acid and it was not bad.  Not really bad at all.  Not a favorite, but that sort of opened my eyes to something a little different than the standard definition of "acidic" coffees.

@_@ open your bad wrench mind @_@

That is why I am here.  I am a coffee addict (about a pot a day by myself) and believe I should be enjoying good stuff.  I am currently working through a bag of Lion Coffee - Kona Gold that I picked up at the San Diego fair. 

As far as the acid goes, I just don't like the harsh stuff.  My coworkers tried to get me into the beans from a local place in Bario Logan - Ryan Bros. and all of their stuff is very harsh to me.  Even their light roasts are too harsh for me.  I think that if I was in the 1-2 cup a day range, I would be ok, but by my 4th or 5th cup, not so much. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #272 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 17:16:18 »
So Binge has inspired me.

I live in Sacramento, CA and we have a kick ass roaster downtown, I would be happy to pick some up and send it around. PM me if interested! ;)
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #273 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 17:38:52 »
So Binge has inspired me.

I live in Sacramento, CA and we have a kick ass roaster downtown, I would be happy to pick some up and send it around. PM me if interested! ;)

ygpm !! <3
-wd

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 09:03:30 »
So I got my wife the Aero Press and she loves it. I also got her some coffee from Cuba called Crystal Mountain. As a coffee noob, I was really surprised by the strong tobacco smell, but it makes a pretty good cup. Can't wait to try something else. Thanks again for the thread.

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #275 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 09:48:55 »
So I got my wife the Aero Press and she loves it. I also got her some coffee from Cuba called Crystal Mountain. As a coffee noob, I was really surprised by the strong tobacco smell, but it makes a pretty good cup. Can't wait to try something else. Thanks again for the thread.

Have you experimented with the aeropress inverted brew method yet?  Definitely worth checking out...

This guide for the inverted method looks about as good as any: http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/aeropress/

As for beans, the more freshly roasted, the better.  Personally, I've always been partial to light roasts with the aeropress.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #276 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 18:01:04 »
don't forget to also wet the filter before you use it, it "grasps" the black part better and makes a more solid connection imo.

---
aeropress

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #277 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 11:19:56 »
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #278 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 09:30:47 »
You guys will hate me but...

Cheap store brand coffee made one pot at a time in a cheap coffee maker. At night, I turn off the pot heater and microwave the next day to re-heat. A bit of sugar and chocolate/vanilla flavored creamer

However, still better than instant coffee. That stuff tastes like hobo taint

Ohh what a difference 10 months has made!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #279 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 09:57:24 »
Thanks so much for this thread everyone, it's been a blast reading through all of the pages.  I just picked up an Aeropress and really looking forward to breaking it in.  Coffee options are unfortunately pretty limited for me at the moment, no local roasters near me so I might just have to settle for something like Starbucks or Peet's until I can find a local shop somewhere close to me.  I think once I start to get the gist of the Aeropress I'll move on to Chemex. Looking forward to keeping up with this thread!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Canious

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 19:22:22 »
Stumptown coffee beans are the best. You really should give them a try!

Offline regack

« Reply #281 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 19:31:34 »
Stumptown coffee beans are the best. You really should give them a try!

I like the stumptown roasts quite a bit as well...

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #282 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 01:53:52 »
A coffee lover that's been using a french press for some time, I'm very interested in this Aeropress business, and joining the ledger.

I'm not sure there's any roasters out here in the RoK, but I'll look into it. Most of their stuff at local grocery shops is all freeze dried and vacuum sealed. I will see if I can find anything out, though.

If nothing else, I know Minnesota has a few local roasters.
Might even look into learning to roast myself (or finding out what's involved, if nothing else)
My wife and I are already planning to set up a hobby sized tea farm, so adding some coffee to the mix might just be the ticket.

Hand Grinder and Aero Press are the suggested place to start, then?
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #283 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 14:52:47 »
Just went back and read most of this thread. I'll be going out this weekend to check how we're looking at local coffee, but if anyone's interested in a coffee for tea exchange, give me a shout. Out here in korea, there are tons of amazing teas. Mostly they step outside of the standard tea range (Green, Oolong, Black. They're all leaves from the same plant. Korean teas explore other plants like Barley grass, Mulberry leaves, Dandelion greens, and flower bud teas)

I am super interested in getting some locally grown and roasted coffee, so if you're interested in some Korean local Tea, give me a shout. We can hook that up.

Especially if there's one that's got your attention, I can pick some up this weekend.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #284 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 15:32:38 »
I really like Stumptown Coffee Roasters website, I'm quite tempted to pick up the Journeyman coffee brewing kit.  It seems like a pretty decent deal considering all of the equipment that comes with it.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #285 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 17:52:25 »
If anyone would like for me to head a buy/distribution of my local http://www.mosaiccoffeecompany.com/ roaster.  I am game! >:|

Offline jalli

« Reply #286 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 21:46:24 »
Just got back from Panama, stocked up on coffee but the one I'm most exited about is this one!

49652-0

Spent a few days in Boquete visiting the plantations and processing facilities, gave me a whole new perspective of coffee.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 January 2014, 21:48:03 by jalli »
Antonia

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #287 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 22:01:27 »
Just got back from Panama, stocked up on coffee but the one I'm most exited about is this one!

(Attachment Link)

Spent a few days in Boquete visiting the plantations and processing facilities, gave me a whole new perspective of coffee.
So jealous. I've always wanted to do something like that. I'm going to Costa Rica in a few months and plan to bring back some beans from there.

Offline jalli

« Reply #288 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 16:21:36 »
The region in Panama that produces the coffee is pretty close to the border with Costa Rica but there is no direct path unless you hike :)

You should be able to go to a coffee plantation in Costa Rica, if not you could also cross over into Panama, it's a pretty easy ride to David/Bocas Down and from there to Boquete.
Antonia

Offline cdosborn

• cdosborn
Great coffee on a budget!
« Reply #289 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 22:43:10 »
I'm new to geekhack, thought I would mention my coffee setup. Making good coffee doesn't have to be a huge expense, and as mentioned before a few factors can increase the quality by orders of magnitude.

I buy locally roasted beans (~$12/lb)
I use a porlex manual grinder http://goo.gl/Iu9AgQ ($40) (incredibly durable, same ceramic burrs as harios)
Pour-over Melitta cup ($4)
4 cup French press ($18)

I'm looking to get an aeropress soon!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #290 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:46:32 »
i have a hario(i use the drill mod so i crank with my powerdrill instead) i use with my aeropress. I find that if you make the grinds for espresso (fine) instead of for drip (corse) you don't even have to use the upside down aeropress brewing method, it'll just barely drip out. Of course you have to use even more pressure since the grind is so fine tho.

i also have a hario cold brew on the way (it's snowing so everything is being held up) gonna experiment with cold brewing. I know i can just cold brew with a regular pot and then just strain it out with a filter or cheesecloth, but i wanted an all in one hario solution cuz i don't want to deal with clean up, i want it fast/easy and i think with the hario cold brew, i can just dump the grinds in the trash and give it a wash over (since the filter is stiff nylon and not cloth).

anyone do cold brew for any tips?

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #291 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 17:11:14 »
Well, I've got my setup. I'm rocking a Haario and Chemex 10 cup (The thing is enormous). Still using store bought, preground coffee though. Waiting for an exchange package!

I went out and got some good teas, and I have plenty to split into exchange packages for anyone interested. I've got my favorites, plenty of Barley Grass and Mulberry leaf, and along with that, you'd get samples of: Dandelion greens, Chrysanthemum bulbs, Mistletoe stems, Persimmon leaves, and some Korean blend green tea.

My package ends up being around $20-25 with all the samples, or about $10-15 with just the barley grass and mulberry leaf. So if you're interested in sending some coffee my way, and pick up some tea you will probably not have another easy opportunity to obtain, let me know.

Offline domesticbark

Re: Great coffee on a budget!
« Reply #292 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:37:02 »
I'm new to geekhack, thought I would mention my coffee setup. Making good coffee doesn't have to be a huge expense, and as mentioned before a few factors can increase the quality by orders of magnitude.

I buy locally roasted beans (~$12/lb)
I use a porlex manual grinder http://goo.gl/Iu9AgQ ($40) (incredibly durable, same ceramic burrs as harios)
Pour-over Melitta cup ($4)
4 cup French press ($18)

I'm looking to get an aeropress soon!

I started like this and now I have a baratza preciso, v60, 8 cup french press, aeropress, a rather dinky espresso machine which I've modded to have a non-pressurized porta filter, and I'm looking to buy a coffee siphon just because I want to be ridiculous. And is still go to a local coffee shop for cappuccinos every week. Coffee doesn't have to be expensive, but it sure can be :(

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #293 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 01:48:50 »
Never tried aeropress before. Recently got a decent automatic espresso machine. I know the purists will say auto sucks but it puts out way better espresso than my D'longhi EC155 ever did (cheap I know)

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #294 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 09:00:06 »
Hand Grinder and Aero Press are the suggested place to start, then?

we've been switching through aerobie aeropress, delonghi espresso, french press, turkish, drip and bialetti moka-pot

The big moka-pot is the current favorite and everything joins together to make one easy transportable stowable unit.
which makes it great to bring to the office/camping/etc.  also it has the boil chamber attached so no separate kettle is required.

we went for months using the aeropress, it was fun and delicious.

More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #295 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:11:38 »
I too have been using the aeropress a lot lately.  Going on about three months now, I'm still kind of trying to determine which method works best for me, but that's part of the fun I guess, the experimentation.  I think I'm going to give one of those reusable filters a try pretty soon, I've heard some people say the difference between it and paper is subtle, and some who say it's like night and day.  I've also been trying a lot of coffee from some of the local roasters around me and have been pretty impressed, before that I was getting my beans from Stumptown(favorites so far have been Holler Mountain and Hairbender.)

I've also been dabbling in pour over, but I'm not too good at it yet.  It seems as if there's a bit of learning curve with the Hario system.  My cups have been getting progressively better, but not to the point where I'm really wow'd yet.  I was considering moving over to the Kalita method for pour over, since I've read on some blogs that it's a little more forgiving than Hario is.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #296 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 12:51:12 »
So I saw an Aeropress in store for the first time ever yesterday and I impulse bought it. Actually, it was more, IS THAT AN AEROPRESS? *Walks to register with Aeropress in hand*

Anyways I just made my first cup with the instructions included? I loved it and I want more coffee. It tastes like a cleaner french press with no grounds in the cup at all. And I thought french press had no bitterness, the Aeropress beats my Bodum in that category too. So yeah, if you don't already have one, get one. Now I need to mess around with the inverted method. I want another cup now but I'm not sure I should...

Offline Lanx

« Reply #297 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 17:41:08 »
Imo inverted is only good if you cant have esspreso size grind. Bc itll fall down into the cup superfast. But of course if you can have esspresso size grounds, why use an aeropress, use a esspresso machine with. A pressurized basket. Aeropress i like and have used aa ton, like the esspresso maker now more tho,

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #298 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 17:52:17 »
So I saw an Aeropress in store for the first time ever yesterday and I impulse bought it. Actually, it was more, IS THAT AN AEROPRESS? *Walks to register with Aeropress in hand*

Anyways I just made my first cup with the instructions included? I loved it and I want more coffee. It tastes like a cleaner french press with no grounds in the cup at all. And I thought french press had no bitterness, the Aeropress beats my Bodum in that category too. So yeah, if you don't already have one, get one. Now I need to mess around with the inverted method. I want another cup now but I'm not sure I should...

For my aeropress method:

Grind size that is semi fine and will produce around a 30 second press time.

Anyways, inverted, ~200F degree water, add water to grinds, stir, add more water until near the top, stir again. Then in my cup, I wash the filter with hot water (this also pre-heats the mug). Add more water, stir, stir, empty water from mug and at the 2 minute mark, invert it and press it. You'll, like I said before, shoot for a 30 second press time. If you're going too fast, your grind is too larger, going too slow, your grind is too fine.

The great thing about the AP is the grind size consistency doesn't matter too much. It's great for people who don't have a more consistent burr grinder.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #299 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 22:01:08 »
Thanks for the tips. I ended up making a second cup then scared ninjadoc because I was so wired on caffeine :(.