Author Topic: Looking for a bit of PCB help  (Read 29850 times)

Offline OldDataHands

Re: Looking for a bit of PCB help
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:59:06 »
Do you now have a teensy and headers to test the layout?
I demand pictures when they arrive!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 22:04:30 »
was going to pull the teensy with legs off my phantom PCB
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 07:44:18 »
Boards have arrived.  Pics to arrive on site tomorrow.  Now I just need to find 2 people who would purchase one of the spares.  Heading over to the Classifieds section to post a thread for it.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 08:32:04 »
Looking something like this, I suppose:

Yes, I secretly ordered 3 of them as well. But I will most likely be using all 3 of mine. Once I complete my move to my new house, I will revisit my 40% build and rewire it using this breakout board to connect the Teensy. :)

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 08:38:12 »

Show Image

Yes, I secretly ordered 3 of them as well. But I will most likely be using all 3 of mine. Once I complete my move to my new house, I will revisit my 40% build and rewire it using this breakout board to connect the Teensy. :)

Show Image

That keyboard is AMAZING jd. Also the breakout board is looking very nice.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 08:40:56 »
Thread is posted in the Classifieds section

Offline tgujay

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 09:10:59 »

Show Image

Show Image

What is the key layout of a 40%?
Gotta collect them all

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 09:21:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

I haven't really finalized the layout yet. I don't want to derail this thread, but I will be discussing my little design further in my "Keyboard Prototyping" thread (link in my signature). :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 09:26:30 »

I haven't really finalized the layout yet. I don't want to derail this thread, but I will be discussing my little design further in my "Keyboard Prototyping" thread (link in my signature). :)

Thank You

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 09:30:32 »

Show Image

Show Image

No link is sig :(

But I'm thinking this is it here ->  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40567.0

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 22:53:58 »
Yes, I secretly ordered 3 of them as well.
jdcarpe: have you had a chance to line up a teensy with the breakout board, or try and put headers through it? Melvang showed that the mounting holes are OK in his classified thread but I'm itchin' to hear that the teensy part is OK also!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 23:15:22 »
Yes, I secretly ordered 3 of them as well.
jdcarpe: have you had a chance to line up a teensy with the breakout board, or try and put headers through it? Melvang showed that the mounting holes are OK in his classified thread but I'm itchin' to hear that the teensy part is OK also!

It lines up perfectly. Now I just need to solder it in there and take a pic. :)

in memoriam

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:59:50 »

Did you ever take that pic? I'm curious to see
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 12:14:24 »

Did you ever take that pic? I'm curious to see

me 2

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 09:59:25 »
Got six of those break-out boards in the mail yesterday.  Absolutely spiffy!

Now I've got to order some more Teensys...  Should have done that at the same time, but I didn't expect OSH Park to turn my order around so quickly.   

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 10:33:49 »

Now I've got to order some more Teensys...  Should have done that at the same time, but I didn't expect OSH Park to turn my order around so quickly.   

If you haven't placed your order yet for the Teensys, hold off for a day or so. I've contacted them about possible price breaks for a quick GB. I don't think Massdrop is going to pick this up.

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 10:37:37 »

If you haven't placed your order yet for the Teensys, hold off for a day or so. I've contacted them about possible price breaks for a quick GB. I don't think Massdrop is going to pick this up.

Awesome!

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 10:58:35 »

Will you let me know also if you do this? I'd like to pick up 3 teensies.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 11:00:52 »

That would be fantastic, thanks!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 21:42:22 »
Wow it is really nice to see that my idea actually made it somewhere.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:05:33 »
I just saw this thread today.  I'm interested to see what people might have done with these boards.  Anyone have any updates or pics related to their build progress?  Also if anyone still needs someone to split a purchase with I might be interested.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:06:41 »
I just saw this thread today.  I'm interested to see what people might have done with these boards.  Anyone have any updates or pics related to their build progress?  Also if anyone still needs someone to split a purchase with I might be interested.

I had 2 at KeyCon mounted on a piece of scrap aluminum.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:17:01 »

I had 2 at KeyCon mounted on a piece of scrap aluminum.

I really should have walked around more and talked to Ming less (sorry Ming!).  Man, I missed a lot of cool stuff.  Any pics though?  Still haven't seen any floating around here.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 00:36:40 »
Not soldered in yet, and I don't have the extra pins placed, but you can get an idea of what it looks like. You could always remove the spacers from the header pins to lower the profile a bit.

in memoriam

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 07:25:17 »
Not soldered in yet, and I don't have the extra pins placed, but you can get an idea of what it looks like. You could always remove the spacers from the header pins to lower the profile a bit.

Show Image

That's looking good!  Also a timely reminder to get the right type of Teensy 2.0, the only one I have on hand is the non-pin model.   :-X

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 09:40:14 »

Show Image

Lookin good!  I will probably buy a few of these.  :)

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 08:21:42 »
Any update on this potential Teensy group rate?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 08:43:22 »
Any update on this potential Teensy group rate?

I haven't heard anything back yet, but I just sent another email this morning. Let's see if I get a response.

in memoriam

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:33:22 »
So I heard back from Paul at PJRC, and the good news is that we really can save a little bit on a large order.

For the Teensy 2.0 without pins, PJRC charges $16. Shipping using the cheapest option was (for me at least) $3.80. Total of $19.80.

If I take orders for at least 25 units, I can get one unit to you for $17.50 shipped, including PP fees. Additional units $15 each, plus a small shipping difference, with the maximum additional shipping being $3.30.

If the total ordered is 100 or more, the price decreases to a base of $16 shipped, with additional units at $13.50.

Add ~$3 per unit if we want them with header pins.

So what does everyone think? Is it worth doing a GB? Should I put up a GB thread with a short time frame?

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:42:14 »
I'd be in for 2 of them!

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:43:17 »
I would be in for 2.

I think it is totally GB worthy.
I do not know if there is enough members that will want some to get up to 100+ unless there are a lot of phantom users that don't have teensy 2.0's but it is at least worthy of a IC thread.

would you be interested in including a option to buy the breakout boards that OldDataHands built in the IC/GB thread?

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:46:41 »
I am down for 3 of the teensys for certain. I am also planning on having 3 breakout boards made, but I don't think it is worthwhile to try to organize that into a group buy. I would be interested in that though, if it did go to gb.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:48:00 »
In order to use the mini-PCB breakout boards, we'd need the type with pins, correct?

I'd be in for 4-6 units, depending on final price.

So I heard back from Paul at PJRC, and the good news is that we really can save a little bit on a large order.

For the Teensy 2.0 without pins, PJRC charges $16. Shipping using the cheapest option was (for me at least) $3.80. Total of $19.80.

If I take orders for at least 25 units, I can get one unit to you for $17.50 shipped, including PP fees. Additional units $15 each, plus a small shipping difference, with the maximum additional shipping being $3.30.

If the total ordered is 100 or more, the price decreases to a base of $16 shipped, with additional units at $13.50.

Add ~$3 per unit if we want them with header pins.

So what does everyone think? Is it worth doing a GB? Should I put up a GB thread with a short time frame?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:54:38 »
Also, I could get the header pins cheap, if they aren't soldered to the Teensy. Anyone opposed to soldering them to the Teensy yourself?

This would increase the base price by probably less than $0.50, instead of $3.

in memoriam

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:55:56 »
It is not difficult to add pins to a teensy.  Even with good equipment it can be difficult to get the pins out of a teensy.  The tolerances are pretty tight so solder bridging is prevalent.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:55:56 »
Also, I could get the header pins cheap, if they aren't soldered to the Teensy. Anyone opposed to soldering them to the Teensy yourself?

This would increase the base price by probably less than $0.50, instead of $3.

I'd be up for the cheapest possible option.   ;D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 14:00:07 »
Okay, I will post a GB thread tonight, using the cheapest numbers I can work, and also including DIY header pins.

I will set a fixed price at the 25 unit price point, and if we get orders for 100+, I will update with the cheaper price.

in memoriam

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 14:05:44 »
sounds awesome. I concur that I would rather save the money and add the pins myself if needed. Sounds like a great deal. Thanks jd for setting it up.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 14:12:58 »
great word jdcarpe!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 14:58:34 »
I'll throw in my support for a GB for teensys.  I would buy at least 2 of them.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 17:46:21 »
Teensy GB live here. :)

in memoriam

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 08:20:40 »
Here are the updated gerbers (ready to be uploaded to OSHPark): (Attachment Link)
and here is the matching geda/pcb file: (Attachment Link)
and here is a rendering of the board: (Attachment Link)

and finally pricing: The board is just a hair over 2"x1" according to OSHPark. at $5/sq.in.
it comes to $10.15 for 3 of them, or roughly $3.38 per board, shipped (in the US).

We would have to order 80 of them to get into bulk pricing at OSHPark, which would get us to ~$2 per board,
and then someone would have to reship them all.  I think the hot setup is for anyone interested to put in their
order individually to OSHPark.

I've upped the mounting drill to 0.170 inches, which should be nice for your 6/32 mounting hardware.
The other drills are now at 0.044 to provide a bit more clearance for pins.
Plus, I've incorporated the the GH60 "GH" in the silkscreen for fun.

Some brave soul should call dibs, and order the first set to confirm it's correct before everyone dives in...

Can i add these to the CAD resource hub?

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 09:03:44 »
Can i add these to the CAD resource hub?
Great idea. I think they are sufficiently proved-out now that Melvang & jdcarpe
have both used them successfully.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 09:05:41 by OldDataHands »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 09:17:29 »
Idea was spamray's.

I would really love for everyone to contribute as much to the thread as possible and just saturate that thread with as much data as possible :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 16:30:48 by MOZ »

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 16:19:23 »
Got my email from OSH Park:

Your boards are being made as you read this!

We've sent the panel containing your boards to the fabricator. We expect to get them back around September 9th.

In case you're interested, there are 75 other orders on the panel along with yours, adding up to a total of 462 boards. Neat eh?

never had PCBs made before. this is fun. thanks for the design work!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 17:04:41 »
Got my email from OSH Park:

Your boards are being made as you read this!

We've sent the panel containing your boards to the fabricator. We expect to get them back around September 9th.

In case you're interested, there are 75 other orders on the panel along with yours, adding up to a total of 462 boards. Neat eh?

never had PCBs made before. this is fun. thanks for the design work!

I ordered some today!!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 21:07:38 »
This is pretty awesome!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 23:50:06 »
Sorry to bump the thread, but do you still have these?

Here are the updated gerbers (ready to be uploaded to OSHPark): (Attachment Link)

and finally pricing: The board is just a hair over 2"x1" according to OSHPark. at $5/sq.in.
it comes to $10.15 for 3 of them, or roughly $3.38 per board, shipped (in the US).

We would have to order 80 of them to get into bulk pricing at OSHPark, which would get us to ~$2 per board,
and then someone would have to reship them all.  I think the hot setup is for anyone interested to put in their

I've upped the mounting drill to 0.170 inches, which should be nice for your 6/32 mounting hardware.

Some brave soul should call dibs, and order the first set to confirm it's correct before everyone dives in...

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 00:14:02 »

Are you looking for the finished piece or files?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 00:16:58 »

Are you looking for the finished piece or files?

Preferably the finished piece but if you don't have those I'd like the files.