Author Topic: 1 year with the Morphling Plum MX96  (Read 3044 times)

Offline deadpool

1 year with the Morphling Plum MX96
« on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 03:31:34 »
So I bought the board because it was one of the few wireless + backlit mechanical boards at the time. I wasn't expecting much because of the Chinese brand & Morphling/Plum isn't widely known/renowned for quality or high-end products. But as long as it was backlit and wireless I'd be satisfied. I went through imsto, and the process was very easy and satisfying. Many thanks to imsto, 10/10 proxy, and I hope to do business with him in the future.

The keyboard was alright, some of the key spacing was uneven, and it felt somewhat cheap. I ordered it white, with mx blues, and it came correct thankfully. After a few weeks of use I ordered a set of double shot PBT keycaps. That really changed the board from feeling like a cheap product to one of somewhat quality. It was much nicer to type on, and the key spacing was greatly corrected. The spacing is still off by a few thousandths here and there, but it's not very noticeable, and doesn't bother me.

Wireless function is somewhat problematic. The keyboard didn't come with a manual, but after searching I believe fn+f12 puts it into pairing mode. The wireless function was initially almost unusable. Many unintentional key repeats (repeats of the repeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat variety, not simply "repeeat"), and other bugginess. I solved most of this by changing the key repeat delay in Windows 7 to (100% "long") & key repeat rate (75% "Fast"). Now I can type fairly long documents without fear (such as this review). I still connect the USB cord for long documents & gaming. I like the placement of the arrow keys (switch them on/off with the NUM lock). Everything else is laid out well as well. Only remaining bugginess is sometimes "\" will stick itself on and I have to turn the board off/on to reset it. Wouldn't be bad at all except the switch is small and in a hard to reach spot on the back.

^I also use a wireless Logitech G602, a wireless Xbox 360 controller, and have my wireless/bluetooth desktop 2 feet away, combined with a bluetooth headset, and phone etc. there may be a lot of interference affecting my situation.

Overall I'd give it a 7/10 stock, 8/10 with a different set of keycaps, and imsto a 10/10. Think I paid ~$100-125 for it, and I think that was worth it. Overall I'm happy and looking now to install some LEDs and get a couple more keycap sets to play around with. If I could change one thing it would be the wireless function (maybe use bluetooth instead?) and a second would be to make the 3xAAA batteries easier to change (you have to disassemble the keyboard) but they last a while (weeks+) so not a huge deal and it encourages me to clean it more often anyway.

I'm looking into getting a Choc Mini 2M to compare, but the Plum is a fine keyboard if you're willing to deal with some quirks.

Thanks imsto!

edit** fn+f12 switches between NKRO & 6KRO. It may also enter pairing mode when held down.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 04:16:43 by deadpool »

Offline deadpool

Re: 1 year with the Plum MX96
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 03:54:23 »
To help anyone:

Just so this information gets stored somewhere that is relevant, here are the instructions I needed to follow to get my wireless functionality working.

1.  Open case and insert 3 AAA batteries.
2.  Flip dip switch on underside of case so that the Esc LED is blinking slowly.
3.  Press "Function" + "F12" in combination so that the Esc LED blinks more quickly.
4.  Plug the USB remote device into your target computer, which should cause your Esc LED to stop blinking.
5.  Success, enjoy your wireless connected mechanical keyboard.

The instructions that come with the PLUM96 are not in English for the most part, so I hope this helps someone stuck at some point in time.

The volume controls work on the keyboard which surprised me, as well as the other fn commands.

Quote from: aliexpress link=http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Plum-MX-96-Machanical-Keyboard-wireless-Wired-Cherry-Brown-switch-N-key-rollover-Fast-Free-shipping/803343_703229584.html
Item No.: PLUM MX 96 Cherry Brown
Case color: White color
Keycaps material: PBT
Connection: Wired/Wireless
tremble control
LED holes reversed
Double layer PCB
Media keys - The volume control, play/pause, and next/previous commands are
printed on the side of the F1-F6 keys. By pressing (Right Fn) and the
cooresponding F-key the request is executed.
LED-off - A key command used for modders (Right Fn+F7) which turns off the
board's LEDs.
Open My Computer - (Right Fn+F8)
Tremble Control - (Right Fn+F10/F11) Tremble control is a function which
makes your keys more or less touchy. If you have shakey hands this control is
for you. Key strokes that occur too briefly will be ignored. I find this to be
useful on MX Blue switches, but may turn the function off if it becomes a
problem.
Lock the win key! - Gamers rejoice! Lock up your windows key with (Right
Fn+Print Screen). This will turn the windows key into an additional Fn key.
Swap CTRL and Caps-Lock - Great for programmers and those who are used to
unix/linux environments. (Right Fn+Pause)
Num Mode - Swaps the right pad between number pad mode and arrow with page
keys. A must for this sort of space saving keyboard.
Keyboards are PCB mounted for easy modding.
Add your own LEDs to the keyboard - Each switch is LED ready and the PCB has
pre-routed traces/through holes to add LEDs. Just drop in the LED of your choice
and solder.
Removable Micro-USB keyboard connector can operate USB mode or PS/2 with
adaptor. Adaptor not included.
Diodes for every switch as to prevent ghosting.
Black keyboards use POM plastic - White versions use PBT plastics. Both of
these are high grade plastics which resist physical wear. Key legends are laser
etched, and will fade but never disappear over time.
Bluetooth capable - uses 2xAAA batteries to power. Unfortunately these
batteries can only be changed by opening up the keyboard.
^Uses 3xAAA batteries
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 04:14:21 by deadpool »

Offline deadpool

Re: 1 year with the Morphling Plum MX96
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 04:02:52 »
For Mac users: you may have to change NKRO to 6KRO by pressing fn + f12. Also this thread will help with the num lock I think (I'm using Windows 7, sorry) http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39135.0