Author Topic: kbd8x mkii and caps lock led indicator  (Read 1884 times)

Offline vuckale

kbd8x mkii and caps lock led indicator
« on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 15:11:10 »
Hi, The board is kbd8x mkii and I have soldered the 3mm LED onto the Caps Lock switch and moved the little switch behind the PCB from backlight to indicator mode. As I understood this should cause the soldered LED onto that switch to light up when I press Caps Lock, however nothing happens. I measured the Voltage that the pins for the LED produce and it is 5V and I am not sure if maybe that is too much for small 3mm LED? Or maybe I should dig a little bit into qmk firmware? Can you help me find out what is causing a problem?

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
Re: kbd8x mkii and caps lock led indicator
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 16:59:30 »
Hmm, I’m not at my PC, but I feel like there’s a setting in VIA for backlights to act as indicators too.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline andred

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 17:33:12 »
The first thing to double check is that you inserted the LED in the right direction.

If the LED +/- polarity is correct, and the switch is in indicator mode, then it's possible that there's a QMK bug. I recently built a KBDPAD MKII and the num lock indicator didn't work. I figured out that it was working as a caps lock indicator instead of num lock, and I tracked it down to a bad code change in QMK. That exact issue does not apply to your keyboard, but there might be a similar bug.

Here's something else to check: Does the scroll lock indicator work?

EDIT: I did skim the QMK code for the KBD8X MKII and I didn't notice any obvious issues like the one I found in the KDBPAD, but don't count that as a thorough code review.

There are a lot knowledgeable people hanging out on the KBDfans Discord. You probably get faster answers there, from people familiar with your board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2021, 17:48:10 by andred »

Offline vuckale

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 17:58:40 »
Hmm, I’m not at my PC, but I feel like there’s a setting in VIA for backlights to act as indicators too.

I looked for that but can't seem to find it. As a side note, I turned off Backlight completely on my board since I made a no RGB build could this be causing the problem? I know I tried turning backlight on and then testing if the LED indicator works, but  it doesn't.

Offline vuckale

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 18:02:05 »
The first thing to double check is that you inserted the LED in the right direction.

If the LED +/- polarity is correct, and the switch is in indicator mode, then it's possible that there's a QMK bug. I recently built a KBDPAD MKII and the num lock indicator didn't work. I figured out that it was working as a caps lock indicator instead of num lock, and I tracked it down to a bad code change in QMK. That exact issue does not apply to your keyboard, but there might be a similar bug.

Here's something else to check: Does the scroll lock indicator work?

EDIT: I did skim the QMK code for the KBD8X MKII and I didn't notice any obvious issues like the one I found in the KDBPAD, but don't count that as a thorough code review.

There are a lot knowledgeable people hanging out on the KBDfans Discord. You probably get faster answers there, from people familiar with your board.

Yes I made sure polarity is correct and to turn the switch to indicator mode. I didn't solder LED to scroll lock since I can't find use for it on linux, but might solder a LED to it to test it. Thanks for the suggestion! Will also check a KBDFans discord.