Author Topic: Mechanicalkeyboards.com Looks Like They Will Be Carrying Keycools  (Read 7910 times)

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 13:06:22 by missalaire »
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline MarkPharaoh

Re: Mechanicalkeyboards.com Looks Like They Will Be Carrying Keycools
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 15:06:09 »
Is it just me or are those prices high? Can't we get these from Qtan for ~15% less?
Current: HHKB Pro 2, 87u 55g 10AE, FC600C, Model M 1391401

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:49:51 »
With CM Storm I'm not sure why you would carry these (?!)

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 18:41:33 »
With CM Storm I'm not sure why you would carry these (?!)

Decent quality with stock PBT/POM keycaps at a decent price? (MKB.com's prices are a bit on the high side though)

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:32:01 »
(IF) MechanicalKeyboards handles all warranty work I guess it could be worth it.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:39:06 »
Also, it looks like the ones they plan on carrying are all either white case versions, mini, or backlit.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 20:57:55 »
Also, it looks like the ones they plan on carrying are all either white case versions, mini, or backlit.

Kind of disappointing, but still +1 for more variety. Would have liked to have seen Black POM versions of the 84s and TKL though.

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 21:02:31 »

Kind of disappointing, but still +1 for more variety. Would have liked to have seen Black POM versions of the 84s and TKL though.

On Taobao you can get 87 and 104 versions w/ black side printed POM

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 21:05:13 »

On Taobao you can get 87 and 104 versions w/ black side printed POM

Oh I know; MKB.com is just more accessible to a lot of people, and I try to keep accessibility in mind when recommending items for others.

Offline ShakeR

• http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 21:21:30 »
Yes, Keycools coming soon!

Regarding pricing: we're trying to get everything up in advance now so we can check in inventory as soon as it arrives.  This means we have to 'guess' on pricing to an extent when we're creating the listings. We start off guessing high and lower prices as soon as we cover all the cost considerations (import fees and customs costs are usually the big variables with imports), etc.  Basically, prices can change from original posting vs final release.  We might change this in the future to avoid scaring people away ;)

Edit: The other huge factor when comparing our prices with Qtans is inbound shipping cost. We're across the planet from Keycool.  He's right next door.  That being said, we'll do our best to make sure we're competitive with our prices.  Obviously, anyone in the US will experience exponentially faster ship speeds ordering with MK and that usually counts for something ;)
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 March 2013, 22:12:17 by ShakeR »
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 21:28:06 »
(IF) MechanicalKeyboards handles all warranty work I guess it could be worth it.

We will be :D

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 21:31:13 »
Let me know what specific varieties you're looking for and we'll get the order in. 

Also, I don't think we have all the models up yet that are coming in.  There were only a hand full of varieties we didn't pick up, so just keep an eye on our incoming page when the entire shipment will be visible (probably Monday or Tuesday):
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 05:36:00 »
Yes, Keycools coming soon!

Regarding pricing: we're trying to get everything up in advance now so we can check in inventory as soon as it arrives.  This means we have to 'guess' on pricing to an extent when we're creating the listings. We start off guessing high and lower prices as soon as we cover all the cost considerations (import fees and customs costs are usually the big variables with imports), etc.  Basically, prices can change from original posting vs final release.  We might change this in the future to avoid scaring people away ;)

Edit: The other huge factor when comparing our prices with Qtans is inbound shipping cost. We're across the planet from Keycool.  He's right next door.  That being said, we'll do our best to make sure we're competitive with our prices.  Obviously, anyone in the US will experience exponentially faster ship speeds ordering with MK and that usually counts for something ;)

Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Permeability

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 15:43:03 »
I'm pretty interested in their number pad, do you know if you will be carrying those?
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 23:10:58 »
I'm pretty interested in their number pad, do you know if you will be carrying those?

Yes, I believe we're starting off with the backlits only.

Offline swiftstrike

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 19:19:18 »
I'm interested in purchasing a black Keycool 84 (non-back lit) with Cherry MX blue switches.  From what I read in the forums, the white colored models use PBT keycaps, while the black colored models use POM keycaps. However, the listing on mechanicalkeyboards.com for the black models state that they use PBT keycaps. Is the listing incorrect or is it true that these black Keycool use PBT also?

Offline jabar

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 19:35:19 »
I'm interested in purchasing a black Keycool 84 (non-back lit) with Cherry MX blue switches.  From what I read in the forums, the white colored models use PBT keycaps, while the black colored models use POM keycaps. However, the listing on mechanicalkeyboards.com for the black models state that they use PBT keycaps. Is the listing incorrect or is it true that these black Keycool use PBT also?
From my experience the MK specs are usually incomplete. Black keys here = POM.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline swiftstrike

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 19:19:26 »
Ah okay. I'm good with POM though. It just would be nice if it was PBT.

Offline Surnia

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 07:47:25 »
The listing for the Keycools also indicates that the lettering is lasered, but they're many times more visible than the Noppoo boards. Are the keys actually pad printed or are they Lasered?

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline dante

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:47:38 »
Let me know what specific varieties you're looking for and we'll get the order in. 

I'm not interested for myself but Keycool carries limited edition 108's with dyesub keys and MX White switches.

They also have 'Ninja' side-printed 87 and 104's.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 14:49:52 »

Grrrrr.... sorry about this.  We've been a bit overwhelmed lately and cloning listings - while efficient from a time saving standpoint - can lend itself to errors.

Thanks for the heads up!  We'll get this fixed ASAP!

Also, just as a side note - if we ever mispost specs on a keyboard and you buy one, we will absolutely (at a minimum) cover return shipping / any other costs involved in the case you decide not to keep it. 

Offline swiftstrike

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 12:20:23 »

Grrrrr.... sorry about this.  We've been a bit overwhelmed lately and cloning listings - while efficient from a time saving standpoint - can lend itself to errors.

Also, just as a side note - if we ever mispost specs on a keyboard and you buy one, we will absolutely (at a minimum) cover return shipping / any other costs involved in the case you decide not to keep it. 

I received my order today (order #13233), but there is a problem. The black Keycool 84 that I thought I ordered turned out to have grey keycaps. I'm assuming that this was also an error in the listing as well, because now the listing correctly says grey instead of black. Do you still have non backlit Keycool 84s with black keycaps? I'm still trying to decide whether or not to return it.

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 12:31:25 »
Best to email them on the address provided on the site rather then here on GeekHack.

support@mechanicalkeyboards.com
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 13:02:27 »

I received my order today (order #13233), but there is a problem. The black Keycool 84 that I thought I ordered turned out to have grey keycaps. I'm assuming that this was also an error in the listing as well, because now the listing correctly says grey instead of black. Do you still have non backlit Keycool 84s with black keycaps? I'm still trying to decide whether or not to return it.

Hi Swift,

As mentioned by Lunar, support@mechanicalkeyboards.com is always the best method to contact us.  We have multiple people who are paid to check this email address so you'll have any problems / questions addressed much more quickly.

While I was convinced we had made an error on the keycap plastics, they were all in fact correct. Also, the keycaps are in-fact all laser engraved - no pad printing at all. Everything was posted according to invoices / spec sheets filled out directly by Keycool (my apologies to Caleb, our listing director, for assuming he was capable of such a string of mistakes).   Ironically the only thing we did miss was the color on the model you referenced.  Unfortunately, that is the only 84 non-backlit version we have.  As mentioned above, we'll make sure to take care of everything in the event you no longer want the keyboard.  Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience!

Offline Surnia

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 20:18:30 »

I feel inclined to point out that the Grey caps are harder to acquire... but grey and white should be PBT. Only the black ones are POM.

While I was convinced we had made an error on the keycap plastics, they were all in fact correct. Also, the keycaps are in-fact all laser engraved - no pad printing at all. Everything was posted according to invoices / spec sheets filled out directly by Keycool (my apologies to Caleb, our listing director, for assuming he was capable of such a string of mistakes).   Ironically the only thing we did miss was the color on the model you referenced.  Unfortunately, that is the only 84 non-backlit version we have.  As mentioned above, we'll make sure to take care of everything in the event you no longer want the keyboard.  Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience!

That's amazing that the legends are so much darker! Must resist ANOTHER.... maybe I can give the other one to dad...
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 April 2013, 21:02:42 by Surnia »

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 10:54:49 »

That's amazing that the legends are so much darker! Must resist ANOTHER.... maybe I can give the other one to dad...

+1 :)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 13:53:52 »
Do you think you guys will be carrying the new colors offered by Keycool in their 84 series? The "grass green" looks quite attractive!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 23:49:40 »
Wow, that grass green looks really good! Too bad it's keycaps only

Offline jabar

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 23:52:43 »
looks like margarita lime to me
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 13:24:47 »
Wow, that does look sweet.  I'm on it!

Offline lyrill

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 02:18:36 »
Wow, that does look sweet.  I'm on it!

great, i'd be interested

also scroll all the way down, there is that smexy yellow too
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 July 2013, 02:56:35 by lyrill »

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:33:39 »
All of the crazy color Keycools were one-time runs for special Chinese promotions :(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:42:11 »
All of the crazy color Keycools were one-time runs for special Chinese promotions :(

That's too bad some of those were pretty killer.

Offline lyrill

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:54:57 »

:(