Author Topic: JD40 Layout Idea  (Read 7742 times)

Offline finleye

JD40 Layout Idea
« on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 17:06:02 »
I just ordered a JD40 from [CTRL]ALT, and I'm attempting to design a layout that will work best for me. I'm a Vim user with a lot of CTRL based commands. CTRL+hjkl vim window navigation and so on. I also frequently use ctrl+tab for list navigation. I currently have control left of A, in standard QWERTY, and I don't think I could live without that. I'm looking for any suggestions or criticisms, or anything I flat out forgot.

Base Layer

Function Layer

Editor Links
Base Layer
Function Layer
HHKB Pro 2 White // HHKB Pro 2 Black // JD40 Clears // Infinity Hacker Clears
[WTB] Ergodox [WTT] Bro Caps / Project Hot Keys
HeatWare Profile

Offline jacobolus

Re: JD40 Layout Idea
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:04:18 »
I highly recommend laying out your numbers in a numpad-type arrangement, and figuring out some logical-to-you arrangement for the other symbols, using one or more shifted layers.

Numbers-all-in-a-row is a really terrible design which sort of made sense in the 1870s but doesn’t today, and when you have full control over your keyboard firmware there’s no good reason to copy it.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:12:22 »
I would flip Shift and Fn. It just puts Shift in a more natural position and allows you to switch between a 40% and full size more easily.

Offline finleye

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:17:51 »
I would flip Shift and Fn. It just puts Shift in a more natural position and allows you to switch between a 40% and full size more easily.

That's a good point. I'll try it out!
HeatWare Profile

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:21:00 »

Thats what I did on mine. It just feels better overall.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:33:38 »
It’s not at all the same kind of layout as a JD40, but just as an example, this is one of the ideas I’ve been fiddling with:

Offline finleye

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:42:02 »
I highly recommend laying out your numbers in a numpad-type arrangement, and figuring out some logical-to-you arrangement for the other symbols, using one or more shifted layers.

Numbers-all-in-a-row is a really terrible design which sort of made sense in the 1870s but doesn’t today, and when you have full control over your keyboard firmware there’s no good reason to copy it.

Thats a good idea! Something like this? I really like being able to use WSAD for directional keys.
HeatWare Profile

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 22:44:59 »
Yeah, something like that. Though I’d put an 'fn' key on your left hand somewhere if you’re used to typing on a numpad with your right hand, so that you can easily hold the fn key down while you type your numbers. (e.g. the key in the bottom left corner looks like a good candidate for another fn key.)

Offline finleye

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 08:00:28 »
Yeah, something like that. Though I’d put an 'fn' key on your left hand somewhere if you’re used to typing on a numpad with your right hand, so that you can easily hold the fn key down while you type your numbers. (e.g. the key in the bottom left corner looks like a good candidate for another fn key.)

Good idea.
HeatWare Profile

Offline finleye

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 08:03:46 »

I've seen on your JD40 you have an enclosed case, as opposed to the housing plates and standoffs that [CTRL]ALT and most others I've seen have. Did you make this enclosure yourself? I'm a big fan.
HeatWare Profile

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 08:31:51 »

I've seen on your JD40 you have an enclosed case, as opposed to the housing plates and standoffs that [CTRL]ALT and most others I've seen have. Did you make this enclosure yourself? I'm a big fan.
That's a prototype of the sorbothane gasket from the smallfry GB. I've since had to remove it because it was to sticky and kept attracting dust.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 10:09:40 »
Interesting layouts. I'm not really familiar in theory behind efficiency for keyboards but I ordered the JD40 secondhand from another user here and I'll probably like to change the layouts more to myself. I use windows so it's probably not overly applicable (I'd mainly just be moving around modifier keys compared to you)
I liked the recent FN layout you posted. Personally I don't need volume keys on my keyboard since I have an external setup so I'd change those to something else on my own.

Offline finleye

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 08:24:46 »
Interesting layouts. I'm not really familiar in theory behind efficiency for keyboards but I ordered the JD40 secondhand from another user here and I'll probably like to change the layouts more to myself. I use windows so it's probably not overly applicable (I'd mainly just be moving around modifier keys compared to you)
I liked the recent FN layout you posted. Personally I don't need volume keys on my keyboard since I have an external setup so I'd change those to something else on my own.

Something external for media controls would be great, but I haven't been able to find anything I'm happy with. Do you have a suggestion?
HeatWare Profile

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 13:25:12 »

Something external for media controls would be great, but I haven't been able to find anything I'm happy with. Do you have a suggestion?

Ah when I meant that I meant more that I have a $900 amplifier sitting on my desk to control volume with a knob.
Since it uses the teensy I wonder if you could mod in a volume knob and or buttons on the side of the case for media control?