Author Topic: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / ETA set!  (Read 287155 times)

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / BEIGE VOTED!
« Reply #1000 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 05:22:19 »
Plastik, can this be made optional?

Certainly not!

will pricing be announced before or will it be made available in the gb thread?

I'm still waiting fore some quotes. When I have those I can decide the final prices. Then I'm also GB ready, so at that point I might focuse on an GB thread, not the IC thread anymore. The range I mentioned already is pretty narrow.

« Reply #1001 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 05:23:06 »
Vote conclusion

The vote is pretty clear. Why are some of you arguing now? Common, really?
Apart from the two first ones these are rather minor things anyway.

Beige color:
RAL 1013

Stainless steel version:
Bead blasted V2A Steel, bare, not treated

USB cutout size:
Some want it tight, many don't care and most want a big one. My conclusion is that I don't make a tight cutout. A bit bigger but also not a super huge one. Something that I feel would fit 90% of the cables. A size more towards big but still not super big.

Reset switch access:
That's a clear vote, there will be a small hole. One for a normal pen. Not so small that you would have to fiddle with a pin or so.

95% top row right cluster:
Also clear. That will be a four key, not a five key cluster.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 05:50:39 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #1002 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 05:25:46 »
it is highly recommended to have a keymap where you can issue a reset command in all of the keymaps you download. there is always a default keymap loaded with pcb's that ship with qmk support, and they have always had a way to send reset.
@maartenwut, could you confirm for your pcb's?

@PlastikSchnittstelle, could it be that people who voted thought that the only way to send reset was the physical button and in that case they had to disassemble the keyboard to reach it? in that case maybe the result of the votes regarding reset hole isnt correct

maarten does really not need to confirm that, it is always that way.

DUDE! common!

Offline honoka

« Reply #1003 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 05:27:05 »
I was unsure and didn't want to say for certain that it always is like that. that could cause issues for some people

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #1004 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 05:29:13 »
Personally, I love the security of a physical reset switch - even if a key combo exists. A bit like the old paper clip hole in CD-ROM drives

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel, isolation top mount, powder coated / BEIGE VOTE NOW!
« Reply #1005 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 05:37:15 »
You mean from time of order (me placing the gb order) to shipping (me starting to pack boxes)?
That should be around six to eight weeks.

I checkt that again. Sorry, that was a bit too optimistic. It will be more like 8 - 12 weeks. You'll still have it way earlier than any GMK keycaps set you might have ordered recently.

« Reply #1006 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 05:52:09 »
Regarding the kits

Until now I had planned to offer case and PCB separately. I reconsidered this and now think that this would just lead to a lot off hassle for me. Why? Because I'm sure many would just order and then realize they forgot the PCB, so I'll have to edit orders afterwards. It will be a kit, case+plate+PCB. That's like most other GBs do it as well. For the 75, 95 and maybe even the TKL, it would not make sense anyway to offer it separately since they have custom PCBs that you don't get anywhere else. 60% and 65% is different. I'm aware that a few want hot swap PCBs, so for these two sizes, I'll add the option to buy "without PCB".
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 05:57:31 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Azurewrath

« Reply #1007 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 05:57:36 »
Will it be possible to buy additional PCBs? (And/or plates?)
Not really necessary, but since you said they are completely custom i'm thinking about getting a spare if the original one ever breaks...

« Reply #1008 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 05:58:13 »
Yes, adding extra PCBs or plates will be possible.

Offline jakl

« Reply #1009 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 06:21:24 »
I don't know if this was already answered or not.
Given that everything is made from steel, these will probably become rusty after some time right?

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, decoupled plate, powder coated
« Reply #1010 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 06:39:41 »
Yes it has been answered:

I'm sorry that you had so many troubles in making an alu case, I just wonder what process are other people using since it is used almost exclusively on all the keyboards that I've seen in these years. Probably the main problem you encountered comes with the bending.
other keyboards? you mean the CNC custom keyboards? every IC/GB carefully explains what kind of material, production method and surface treatment or finish is used, no need to wonder. it is mostly aluminum, cnc, bead blasting and anodizing.
and yes, the combination of bending and aluminum was one of the main issues. that's why on most PC cases that come with an aluminum front you see these huge radiuses. there was more to it, for example sheet metal aluminum comes in different alloys compared to aluminum blocks for CNCing -. not the same result after anodizing.

Anyway steel is good, if you use stainless steel, it's even better. What thickness are you going to use? I just wonder how does aluminium sound in comparison. Probably steel is going to sound higher pitched than aluminium.
when powder coating, you certainly don't use stainless steel, that's a waste of money. the coating protects the steel and prevents it from rusting.
It's 1.5mm thickness. with this thickness the 60% already weights 1.35kg (mentioned in the start post).
imo the sound is influenced by the density of the material and overall mass/weight of the case (and more factors of course). what also plays a major factor is the decoupling/dampened mounting of the plate. I think it sound deeper compared to alu, not any resonating sound due tue the density of the material and even more due to the decoupled mounting of the plate. to me it's immediately, deeply satisfying :)
like mentioned in the start post, I'll send to next prototypes to reviewers who can review/test it - they are in a better position to give you a detailed opinion about sound and more.

And remember that even if its inox, it still rusts when it's dirty... So it should be really high quality steel.
yes, thanks, I do know that. the company that does the powder coating uses a five phase cleaning procedure. intensive and automated cleaning is a standard procedure before the coating. again, you just use standard steel when you powder coat, definitely NOT stainless steel. though there is a huge number of different steels to choose from. I have friends who work in engineering and automotive, so I have ways to figure out what the most suited alloy is.

please, if you you have actually worked with metals in the context of engineering, industrial design or automotive design and you actually know what you are talking about, then good. but otherwise you just cause confusion. no offense, I know you mean it well.

And again here:

the manufacturing does not require any moulds. if it would, the case would be very expensive. here you can see how the machines look like that are used for sheet metal bending, they are awesome imo.

rust is not an issue. many people somehow got the idea that a non-stainless just disappears into dust after a few years. if it is treated the right way, I mean it sits on your desk, it's not exposed to intense weather conditions, it's not even outside, it's inside, on your desk! it is also not blank but powder coated, it will not rust (probably not in your or your son's lifetime). already discussed here ;)

the aging, the traces, scratches, all what comes along using an object, yes, I like that as well, it personalizes the object, makes it more yours.

---

Short:
NO it does not rust because it is powder coated.

The stainless steel version:
Also NO, not in your or your descendants lifetime. It's V2A.

Steel plate:
NO, it has the zink coating, that protects it against corrosion.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 07:18:18 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline kedayap

« Reply #1011 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 09:59:56 »
Looks good!!! By any chance will it be possible to have a navy blue color of this? If not I'll probably get a grey/black one. Thanks!!!

« Reply #1012 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 10:02:20 »
You're a bit late for color requests  ;D

Colors are set:
Beige,
Grey,
Black,
Yellow

and

Stainless Steel

Offline kedayap

« Reply #1013 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 10:05:59 »
Welp, at least I tried. :D Kinda new on the hobby, this will be the first GB I'll be joining, and I can't wait!!!

One last thing, I have sweaty hands, would that affect the powder coating in the long run? I've tried searching online but I have no conclusive answer.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 10:16:30 by kedayap »

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #1014 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 10:10:54 »
Welp, at least I tried. :D Kinda new on the hobby, this will be the first GB I'll be joining, and I can't wait!!! Good luck sir!!!

You have chosen wisely!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #1015 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 10:33:48 »
it is highly recommended to have a keymap where you can issue a reset command in all of the keymaps you download. there is always a default keymap loaded with pcb's that ship with qmk support, and they have always had a way to send reset.
@maartenwut, could you confirm for your pcb's?

6/8 of Maarten's PCBs that are currently in QMK have the Bootmagic or Command features enabled by default, allowing you to reset by holding Esc while plugging in, or by pressing LShift+RShift+Esc at any time, respectively. The remaining 2 are replacement PCBs for existing keyboards that have reset switches in predefined positions accessible through the case.

It's safe to assume that SKB2 PCBs will have these features enabled too.

maarten does really not need to confirm that, it is always that way.

DUDE! common!

Not always.

Offline norb

« Reply #1016 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 11:19:01 »
just to confirm, in one of the quotes you said using stainless steel for powdercoating would be a waste, so you'll be using two different steels for the coated and untreated version? but it would still be "legal" to get a SS and get it powdercoated myself? or would you, since you will be in possession of my address, come to my house and hit me with a 95%?

would it be possible, just a thought coming to mind, to order one "normal steel" without the powdercoating? i'll definitely get one of the yellow but may be interested in getting another one for future use with another flashy color. i'd totally understand if that wasn't possible  :thumb:

Offline Magnificent Bureaucrat

• Sooooo much red tape
« Reply #1017 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 11:53:51 »
Loving the comprehensive posts wrapping up all the questions that are flying around :thumb:

I'll definitely be in for a 60% in black to go with a HS60. This is going to be the perfect backdrop for GMK Dracula.

« Reply #1018 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 11:59:06 »
just to confirm, in one of the quotes you said using stainless steel for powdercoating would be a waste, so you'll be using two different steels for the coated and untreated version? but it would still be "legal" to get a SS and get it powdercoated myself? or would you, since you will be in possession of my address, come to my house and hit me with a 95%?

If you get the stainless steel version or any, of course you are free to do with it whatever you desire. Anyway, I would still come over and hit you with the 95%! Powder coating stainless steel would be plain stupid, here is why:

The powder coating relies on a phosphate layer that builds during the preparation process before the actual coating. This phosphate layer is partly responsible for the very firm connection of the steel and the powder. With standard steel you can achieve a very healthy phosphate layer but with stainless steel, that phosphate layer will almost be none existent. Therefore, you will loose one of the big benefits of powder coating, which is its very strong connection to the metal. No one who has a clue about metal and powder coating would use stainless steel for that.

:thumb:

would it be possible, just a thought coming to mind, to order one "normal steel" without the powdercoating? i'll definitely get one of the yellow but may be interested in getting another one for future use with another flashy color. i'd totally understand if that wasn't possible  :thumb:

Think about the number of colors I'm offering combined with the sizes and its versions. It's already a lot to manage. ExtraWürste like that would end up in a total nightmare for me. Sorry, no.

:(

Offline norb

« Reply #1019 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 12:12:28 »
no problem, thanks for the in-depth explanation!

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #1020 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 12:22:54 »
Ah everything so nice and almost ready ... time to learn soldering  :thumb:

Offline hkiri

« Reply #1021 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 12:42:40 »
Definitely gonna join this round. Have to support my fellow Hessians ;)

Offline bigapplepietart

• Topre Convert
« Reply #1022 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:23:45 »
Will likely take a silver and a black!
Current:
Palmetto (Ultraglides) | Heavy Grail (Purple DES V1) | hiney tkl one PC (Orange SKCM Alps) | Lunar II (Green SKCL Alps) | Sho S60 V2 (45g stock domes) | HHKB Hybrid Type-S

Past:
Razer Blackwidow (MX Blues) | FC660M (MX Blues) | GH60 (Ergo Clears) | 8x mkI (Vintage Blacks) | Klippe (Sakurios) | Equinox (Sakurios) | MGA (Silent Alpacas) | Kei (Creamsicles) | KFE CE (Alpacas) | Rukia R1 (Durock L7) | H60 (Silent Blacks) | E80-1800 (MX Blacks) | Ottantaquattro (Vintage Blacks) | hbcp (Vintage Blacks) | HHKB Pro 2 Stock (45g Topre) | ADK64 (Blue SKCM Alps)

Offline tyler1820

« Reply #1023 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:39:02 »
Hey! The board looks great but I have some questions, sorry if they were asked before.

How much will the early bird discount be? Also, if the discount costs more than the actual gb purchase how would that be handled?

Offline ZG2047

« Reply #1024 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:40:52 »
Hey! The board looks great but I have some questions, sorry if they were asked before.

How much will the early bird discount be? Also, if the discount costs more than the actual gb purchase how would that be handled?

The early bird was quite a while ago unfortunately we are all waiting for the GB

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated or stainless
« Reply #1025 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:53:40 »
@tyler1820, here is your answer
Quick answer: An SKB2 case of your choice.
Roughly of 20% advantage over normal price. So if your choice will be one of the bigger cases you might still have a small amount left to pay. Had mentioned it, but I don't know where :)
Yea, I’ll be completely honest, I just paid the invoice without knowing what I was getting. I’m just happy to be here.

I don't see anything unfortunate about waiting for the GB. Plastik made many decisions since some of us became early birds. Decisions that are leading with confidence to next week GB.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 15:02:22 by Senor Coconut »

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated or stainless
« Reply #1026 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 17:36:52 »
@tyler1820, here is your answer
Quick answer: An SKB2 case of your choice.
Roughly of 20% advantage over normal price. So if your choice will be one of the bigger cases you might still have a small amount left to pay. Had mentioned it, but I don't know where :)
Yea, I’ll be completely honest, I just paid the invoice without knowing what I was getting. I’m just happy to be here.

I don't see anything unfortunate about waiting for the GB. Plastik made many decisions since some of us became early birds. Decisions that are leading with confidence to next week GB.

GB is next week? Maaan.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #1027 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 17:38:16 »
I think "next week" was a maybe

Offline bisky

« Reply #1028 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 17:58:42 »
Hey there I'm pretty new to the mech keys community this will be my first GB. The design is fantastic definitely need that beige!!

One question I had regarding the plate/PCB - will I need PCB mounted switches or will plate mounted be okay? Don't want to accidentally have 3 pin switches and realise I needed 5 pins. Apologies if it has been answered before or is very obvious.. Cheers and can't wait!

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #1029 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 18:02:20 »
Hey there I'm pretty new to the mech keys community this will be my first GB. The design is fantastic definitely need that beige!!

One question I had regarding the plate/PCB - will I need PCB mounted switches or will plate mounted be okay? Don't want to accidentally have 3 pin switches and realise I needed 5 pins. Apologies if it has been answered before or is very obvious.. Cheers and can't wait!

Plate mounted always work, might be more wobbly because of no guide pins

Edit: Since your new, I might add, normally plate mount won't be good for plateless keyboards because it will be pretty hard to align them but they will "work" in that it will still register keypresses, because the difference between 3 and 5 pin are 2 plastic guide pins which make no connection difference
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 18:05:42 by Bl4ck »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #1030 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 18:12:01 »

Plate mounted always work, might be more wobbly because of no guide pins

Edit: Since your new, I might add, normally plate mount won't be good for plateless keyboards because it will be pretty hard to align them but they will "work" in that it will still register keypresses, because the difference between 3 and 5 pin are 2 plastic guide pins which make no connection difference

There's no reason to ever buy plate-mounted (3-pin) switches, unless you have no other choice (e.g. Box switches only come in plate-mount). The overwhelming majority of custom PCBs have PCB-mount holes, and even on builds with plates, the extra pins don't hurt as they add stability and help with switch alignment during the build. Plus, even if your PCB doesn't have the extra holes, 5-pin switches can always be made into 3-pin switches by cutting off the alignment pins.

Offline bisky

« Reply #1031 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 18:16:02 »
Thanks for the clarification Bl4ck and konstantin  :thumb: will definitely try to find the 5 pin switches in this case

Offline Henrythewound

« Reply #1032 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 09:38:02 »
Very interested in this upcoming GB, always like to see an 1800 layout available. If the total cost with shipping to the US isn't too bad I may grab a 75 and an 1800.

Offline chris_1865

« Reply #1033 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 12:51:47 »
Will there be any decoration on the case on where the 95% additional key used to be? It loocks a bit weird on the reserved space...

Offline dabbaranks

« Reply #1034 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 16:32:15 »
What are the size of the top and side screws? Sorry if this was covered but I did a quick search on each page but only saw that they're M3.

Offline eebogaine

Re: [IC] SKB2 - steel case, isolation top mount, powder coated
« Reply #1035 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 14:14:46 »
What are the size of the top and side screws? Sorry if this was covered but I did a quick search on each page but only saw that they're M3.

That's because they are M3:

Tried to find it, but either I didn't try hard enough, or there's really no such info: what's the size of the screws that are used to mount the plate? I guess, it's either M3 or M4?
I was thinking about using spanner head screws to achieve more industrial look.

all M3

Offline killchain

« Reply #1036 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 15:00:40 »
With nickel being left out, I'm in an even more confused state about which colour to choose. Is it too much to ask for a render (or some guide/resources on how to make the renders myself if it's too much of a hassle and you don't mind sharing the files)? I'm going with PBT Hive for now and I suppose that it'd look kinda off with the black version (since the set is in very dark blue, not black). Would've gone with nickel most probably if it was available, but now I'm rather torn between black, steel and yellow (a bit too flashy, but I think it will match the blue and yellow of the keycap set nicely).

Also, any chance for another early bird round if the GB doesn't start right away?
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 April 2020, 15:13:03 by killchain »

Offline teejstroyer

« Reply #1037 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 15:09:21 »
With nickel being left out, I'm in an even more confused state about which colour to choose. Is it too much to ask for a render (or some guide/resources on how to make the renders myself if it's too much of a hassle and you don't mind sharing the files)? I'm going with PBT Hive for now and I suppose that it'd look kinda off with the black version. Would've gone with nickel most probably if it was available, but now I'm rather torn between black, steel and yellow (a bit too flashy, but I think it will match the blue and yellow of the keycap set nicely).

Also, any chance for another early bird round if the GB doesn't start right away?
I believe there is a gray option, depending on the gray, that could actually look pretty nice as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline online

« Reply #1038 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 08:17:28 »
can the steel version be polished after? (mirror-like finish)
Also, how big is the space between PCB and the bottom case? I'm thinking of using a Bluetooth PCB, so need space for battery(~3mm).
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2020, 08:49:51 by online »

Offline Nim

« Reply #1039 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 09:03:09 »
it's steel, no reason you can't spend hours upon hours to polish it to a fingerprint attracting shine.
As to people touting "use bootmagic(lite)", that's all fun and games till you derp the flash and don't have that on the map anymore. A small reset button cutout is just handy

Offline eebogaine

« Reply #1040 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 17:59:26 »
For those wanting renders to decide which colours to buy, just try photoshoping your keycap set onto the existing photos. Doesn't have to be perfect to help decide.
And if you do make some, post them here so others can benefit!

Here's MT3 /dev/tty on Grey and Black:
240305-0
240307-1

Offline lz2019

« Reply #1041 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 21:41:58 »
Really like the many sizes being offered  :thumb: 
Will this be at same price range as the previous round of SKB75 & SKB60?
Thanks.

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1042 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 00:16:15 »
Might join either 65 or 75.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #1043 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 00:19:42 »
Really like the many sizes being offered  :thumb: 
Will this be at same price range as the previous round of SKB75 & SKB60?
Thanks.
OP is a fantastic source of information.
It has the following FAQ entry:
Q: How much will it cost?
A: Prices are not set jet. Too many variables. Rough estimate is that the smallest 40% will land slightly under 100€ and the biggest 95% version will be around 150€. That's without the PCB and Shipping.

Offline pott

« Reply #1044 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 01:25:24 »
Quick question, and sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Will plates be compatible between SKB (OG) and SKB2?
I have a Boardwalk I'm building on an SKB60. If I want to upgrade it to the SKB2 case because why not, could I simply swap the plates both ways? Thanks!

Offline consumer

« Reply #1045 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 02:26:36 »

I have a Boardwalk I'm building on an SKB60. If I want to upgrade it to the SKB2 case because why not, could I simply swap the plates both ways? Thanks!
I think this was answered in #642. They are not compatible from my understanding - the screws placements are different.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1046 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 10:28:15 »
One last thing, I have sweaty hands, would that affect the powder coating in the long run? I've tried searching online but I have no conclusive answer.

No, sweat does not affect the powder coating at all.

« Reply #1047 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 10:31:02 »
Will there be any decoration on the case on where the 95% additional key used to be? It loocks a bit weird on the reserved space...

No, certainly not. You should learn to appreciate the presence of unspoiled, free space. I prefer to let a surface just be what it is, without cramming a logo in.

« Reply #1048 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 10:31:52 »
can the steel version be polished after? (mirror-like finish)
Also, how big is the space between PCB and the bottom case? I'm thinking of using a Bluetooth PCB, so need space for battery(~3mm).

You can do with it whatever you want.

It's an angled case. In the front the PCB almost touches the bottom, at the back there is up to 10mm of space. I think the bluetooth signal will have a hard time getting out of the steel case.

Offline pott

« Reply #1049 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 11:57:57 »

I think this was answered in #642. They are not compatible from my understanding - the screws placements are different.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Yes; I just managed to look through some samples/the summary layouts available on the first page and the 60s have 8 screws, vs. 6 on the previous versions. So that won't work. Thanks!