Author Topic: Name it. We'll do our best to get it. (v2.0)  (Read 532657 times)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
Re: Name it. We'll do our best to get it. (v2.0)
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 14:36:35 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but only CM can ship mx green boards. Thus you may see Clear and White in North America, but not green. but hey, wouldn't be the first time I was happily mistaken.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6623/coolermaster-new-storm-scouts-crashing-into-eisbergs-and-cherry-mx-green

Cheers,
I doubt those exclusive US distribution rights would apply to Asian-oriented makers like Ducky.

Sure it does. CM/Cherry can go after you for violating it. BTW allegedly it's not just US but all of North America :/

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline jabar

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 15:01:33 »
Sure it does. CM/Cherry can go after you for violating it. BTW allegedly it's not just US but all of North America :/
They would go after the US distribution not Ducky.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline uzoc

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 15:20:50 »
A Kinesis Advantage clone?

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 21:58:55 »
They would go after the US distribution not Ducky.

Could probably do either if it's a Ducky storefront, similar to how MSFT has gone after android device makers. It would be easier for them to go after Mech Keyboards however. Although I could be wrong I haven't read too deep into these laws.

Cheers,

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 21:59:37 »

Almost assuredly still under patent. XD

Cheers,

Offline uzoc

« Reply #155 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 22:47:40 »
Almost assuredly still under patent. XD
Cheers,

Anything can be copied, bypassing patents.
No cheers for you, friend!
Or a Kinesis Advantage copy (bypassing patents)
Or DIY kit (not made by a company but by individuals, so they cannot, or it becomes improbable that they can stop you from making it and using it).

Offline ShakeR

• http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 15:27:26 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but only CM can ship mx green boards. Thus you may see Clear and White in North America, but not green. but hey, wouldn't be the first time I was happily mistaken.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6623/coolermaster-new-storm-scouts-crashing-into-eisbergs-and-cherry-mx-green

Cheers,
I doubt those exclusive US distribution rights would apply to Asian-oriented makers like Ducky.

Cheers,

Keyword 'Allegedly'. I've heard nothing about this.  Would be great if Mr Sklavos posted his sources.

I can also assure you that Cherry would most certainly not 'come after' MechanicalKeyboards.com for selling Ducky's with Green MX switches.  There is absolutely zero legal basis for this.  The only reason you don't see more Green MX boards from Ducky (and us) is because supply is low and the switches are very expensive.

Another huge reason this is far-fetched: Cherry is selling their switches to Costar - not CoolerMaster. Costar can assure exclusivity to CM - instead of other brands they manufacture (e.g. Filco) - all they want, but they have no control over Ducky's ODMs (only Cherry does).  There are too many parties involved to limit distribution geographically - unless you have some very serious organization / collaboration among all parties -- HAHAHA (sorry...was that out loud?)

Smells like "journalistic" hyperbole to me.

edited for clarity and grammar ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2013, 15:31:45 by ShakeR »
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 15:54:14 »

Cheers,

Cheers,

Keyword 'Allegedly'. I've heard nothing about this.  Would be great if Mr Sklavos posted his sources.

I can also assure you that Cherry would most certainly not 'come after' MechanicalKeyboards.com for selling Ducky's with Green MX switches.  There is absolutely zero legal basis for this.  The only reason you don't see more Green MX boards from Ducky (and us) is because supply is low and the switches are very expensive.

Another huge reason this is far-fetched: Cherry is selling their switches to Costar - not CoolerMaster. Costar can assure exclusivity to CM - instead of other brands they manufacture (e.g. Filco) - all they want, but they have no control over Ducky's ODMs (only Cherry does).  There are too many parties involved to limit distribution geographically - unless you have some very serious organization / collaboration among all parties -- HAHAHA (sorry...was that out loud?)

Smells like "journalistic" hyperbole to me.

edited for clarity and grammar ;)

Shaker,

Thanks for clearing that up for us! I didn't mean to threadcrap at all, so please forgive me :'(. I have seen it posted in a few other media articles related to CES as well. I don't know whom to contact for confirmation on this though.

If I can find some more articles referring to this I will. Again swy if I threadcrapped

Cheers,

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:45:53 »
Shaker,

Thanks for clearing that up for us! I didn't mean to threadcrap at all, so please forgive me :'(. I have seen it posted in a few other media articles related to CES as well. I don't know whom to contact for confirmation on this though.

If I can find some more articles referring to this I will. Again swy if I threadcrapped

No worries.  I've learned every thread gets derailed at some point.  The good thing about this one is that it usually finds a way to get back on track.

I would be interested read more about this either way if you have the links.  I'm not saying it's not possible to at least a small extent, but to orchestrate such an agreement with global enforcement would be difficult indeed, and the inter-party agreements between supplier, manufacturers, and name brands (not to mention distributors) sounds next to impossible.

A good example of something similar and much less complicated that could not be pulled off: Logitech's first Mechanical G710+.  Distribution was supposed to be limited to 2 - 3 big box e-tailers (and is still 'exclusive' till today - why we don't have it - we buy legitimately only), yet there were 20+ 3rd party sellers on Amazon the day of release.  Looks like Amazon is already selling way below what my cost would have been anyway, so I'm not so disappointed anymore - lol.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 17:27:38 »
Shaker,

Another CES related link that mentions exclusivity:

http://technologyx.com/pc-hardware/peripherals/cooler-master-showcases-cherry-mx-green-switches-at-ces-las-vegas-2013/

And yet another:

http://www.dailytech.com/Cooler+Master+Airs+Mechanical+Keyboards+New+Cases+and+More/article29665.htm

And one more (although I don't think they mean it the way the others do necessarily. It appears ambiguous to me)

http://www.tech-kings.net/home/ces2013/318-ces-2013-in-review-cooler-master

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 17:52:07 »
The 2nd article states "Cooler Master has an exclusive contract to manufacture devices based on the green CHERRY Switch", so they very well could have something negotiated.  Still, CM doesn't actually manufacture anything, and Costar seemed happy to make Green MX boards for anyone with $$$ at Computex.  Also, Ducky obviously got their hands on at least 10,000 Green MX switches, so I wonder what / who exactly is 'exclusive' with what / who / where.  Very muddled.  It's good to know we can count on these CES reports for details!

"Cooler Master may not have a booth at CES 2013", but I "was awed by the layout of their showcase".

[Insert Picture of CM Gear on a Hotel Bed]

That one got me good!  :D

Either way, I'm going to keep trying to get more Green MX (as per your requests!) from every vendor I can until someone tells me otherwise.  We do sell / distribute for CM, so I'm sure they'll let me know if they need to. ;)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 17:59:23 »
The 2nd article states "Cooler Master has an exclusive contract to manufacture devices based on the green CHERRY Switch", so they very well could have something negotiated.  Still, CM doesn't actually manufacture anything, and Costar seemed happy to make Green MX boards for anyone with $$$ at Computex.  Also, Ducky obviously got their hands on at least 10,000 Green MX switches, so I wonder what / who exactly is 'exclusive' with what / who / where.  Very muddled.  It's good to know we can count on these CES reports for details!

"Cooler Master may not have a booth at CES 2013", but I "was awed by the layout of their showcase".

Either way, I'm going to keep trying to get more Green MX (as per your requests!) from every vendor I can until someone tells me otherwise.  We do sell / distribute for CM, so I'm sure they'll let me know if they need to. ;)

Oh yeah, I thought the same thing. None of the articles include official PR statements so I'm not that concerned either way, I just was bringing it up, no real motives.

Cheers,

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 18:11:42 »
Oh yeah, I thought the same thing. None of the articles include official PR statements so I'm not that concerned either way, I just was bringing it up, no real motives.

For sure!  No worries at all.  Good to know either way ;)

Offline dante

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 21:16:43 »

I vote Ducky as the hardest working keyboard company!
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2013, 21:18:15 by dante »

Offline Sonny

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 06:40:40 »
Would it be possible to get the KBT Race with purple LEDs in stock? I've been looking for one for a few weeks now and haven't been able to find it.

Cheers! [:

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 14:45:37 »

Shaker,

I thought you might find this post by the CM rep here interesting with regards to MX Greens:

Hi there,

We have discussed with Cherry on putting more emphasis on Green, and due to their limited production, we will most likely be the exclusive distributor in the US. There are obviously some vendors who still have access to limited quantities but not to the scale we are aiming to bring. Also, our established channels in the US give us added exposure. 

An example of our efforts to educate the general public on Green switches:
http://techreport.com/review/24461/a-first-look-at-cherry-mx-green-key-switches

We are extremely focused on building out the mechanical keyboard community with education. ...[shortened]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40056.msg820015#msg820015

Cheers,

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 14:31:14 »
Yeah, that makes total sense.

It's the 'Buy every last Green switch in existence' form of 'exclusive'.  There aren't any contracts in place.  The legal fees involved in creating such a complex contract given the number of parties involved would cost five times more than the switches themselves, so it would be impractical to begin with.

This is sort of what I figured when I read the first claim.

Using this definition,  Logitech had an 'exclusive' with Brown switches for a month and half last year (still feeling this one by the way...).  When are more Brown MX Blue LED Shines coming in ?!?!?

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 14:50:57 »
Pink and White Shines coming in early April :)

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 16:33:17 »
Pink and White Shines coming in early April :)

Those white keycaps look some sweet.  I hope we see some with Cherry Red's!  I already have the Ducky gray keycap set, so I should be able to mix and match a really nice layout.  I also saw you got some more of those in, especially other language sets.

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 07:54:56 »
They finally have a picture of the Ducky Shine white keycaps showing the green backlight.  No light bleed thru which is great.  I was worried the white caps might let to much light come through, but these must be extra thick or something.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 07:57:43 »
Or the lighting is on the lowest setting.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 08:05:54 »
They finally have a picture of the Ducky Shine white keycaps showing the green backlight.  No light bleed thru which is great.  I was worried the white caps might let to much light come through, but these must be extra thick or something.

Show Image

Oh THAT's nice! 

Now if they build some units with Cherry White/Clear/Grays, the green LEDs and the white keycaps, I am so on that buy!

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 13:11:11 »
I'm also surprised to see the lack of light bleed.  Although, I actually don't mind bleed that much (not sure why).

As esoo pointed out, it could just be on the lowest setting.  Either way I'm really excited about these. 

My only real critique would be a more toned down pink (less 'hot') on the Pink and White Shines.  Basically like the Vortex's without the paint scuffs lol

Offline Bells

« Reply #173 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:40:28 »
Ducky Shine 2 tenkeyless
Ducky Shine 2 MX Blacks

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #174 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:38:01 »
Ducky Shine 2 tenkeyless

Ummmm... they already carry these, I bought mine from them.
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Name it. We'll do our best to get it. (v2.0)
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 11:27:20 »
Vortex Aluminum Pure Cases! It would sure make sense since the GH60 is coming. :]
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 March 2013, 11:29:01 by Lastpilot »

Offline iiAreJordan

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:48:47 »
I want to get either the ducky shine II with the white case, pink keycaps, and white LED (cherry mx blue) or get the ducky shine II cherry mx blue with white LED TKL :(

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:05:40 »
Any thoughts on carrying Cherry MX switches? That might be too far down the food chain for you, but figured I'd ask in case it hasn't been asked already.  ;D

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:57:22 »
Any thoughts on carrying Cherry MX switches? That might be too far down the food chain for you, but figured I'd ask in case it hasn't been asked already.  ;D

They already sell switches.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=43

A bit pricey if you're planning on buying in bulk, but they have them.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 17:10:21 »

Doh! How did I miss that?

Any chance you'll offer quantity discounts? $1.75 per switch is a bit steep.  :eek: Or, am I missing something there too. LOL!

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 12:15:34 »

Doh! How did I miss that?

Any chance you'll offer quantity discounts? $1.75 per switch is a bit steep.  :eek: Or, am I missing something there too. LOL!

As soon as we can get any real quantity on the switches, we will absolutely be offering qty discounts.  Right now, we're actually having to shut down some of the $1.75 / switch listings b/c the switches are worth more to us in terms of repair materials.  Supply is just so short.  We have to beg suppliers for 10 or 20 for RMAs. If we could only buy stock in Cherry.... :D

Also, I think WASD may have some switches available.

Offline Permeability

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 13:21:31 »
Is there any chance you will carry the keycool numpad w/ clear switches?
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 15:09:48 »
Is there any chance you will carry the keycool numpad w/ clear switches?

Doh!  They didn't put this on my order list.  I didn't know it existed.  I'll check and see for next shipment. :)

Offline dante

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 15:30:15 »
Any idea on when the PBT Dyesub keycaps are coming in?

I want to buy a 2108 Zero right now but don't want to pay $18 for two different shipments if I can avoid it.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 15:33:43 »
Any idea on when the PBT Dyesub keycaps are coming in?

I want to buy a 2108 Zero right now but don't want to pay $18 for two different shipments if I can avoid it.

Still no word.  Also, if they're under a pound (I'm not sure on if they're 15oz packed or just over 16oz), it's only $5 to ship.  Not sure if $14 is easier to swallow ;)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:32:17 »
It would be awesome if you guys could get the Plum 96 wireless board. I know there was a group buy on here a while back but I can only find it on Taobao now.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:38:11 »
It would be awesome if you guys could get the Plum 96 wireless board. I know there was a group buy on here a while back but I can only find it on Taobao now.

Very hard to get a hold of anyone at Plum.  There's several of the import brands we're always reaching out to but never get a response.  This is a model we'd love to carry though, so we'll keep trying!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:48:39 »

Very hard to get a hold of anyone at Plum.  There's several of the import brands we're always reaching out to but never get a response.  This is a model we'd love to carry though, so we'll keep trying!

This is good to hear I'll keep an eye out.  :cool:

Offline dante

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 19:55:00 »
Any word on when the Ducky 2087 is arriving?

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 11:02:30 »
Any word on when the Ducky 2087 is arriving?

2108S should be mid June.  No ETA on 2087 yet.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 08:33:56 »
Any word on whether or not White Shine Keycaps are coming?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 23:25:42 »
Do you have any ETA on these keyboards:

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=180
(Ducky Shine TKL Purple LED with MX Browns,  SKU: DK9087S2-BUSALP
Alternatively, same with Yellow LEDs (SKU: DK9087S2-BUSALY) or plain without LEDs--both with MX Brown switches)

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=72
(Cooler Master QFR with MX Browns, SKU: SGK-4000-GKCM1-US)

Both have been listed as out of stock for a while.

Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2013, 01:14:51 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 14:48:15 »
Any word on whether or not White Shine Keycaps are coming?

If they are, there won't be many.  Apparently the defect rate is incredibly high with the White and Pink Shine caps.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 14:50:13 »

Alternatively, same with Yellow LEDs (SKU: DK9087S2-BUSALY) or plain without LEDs--both with MX Brown switches)

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=72
(Cooler Master QFR with MX Browns, SKU: SGK-4000-GKCM1-US)

Both have been listed as out of stock for a while.

Thank you!!!

All Ducky Shines that we don't currently have in stock are completely out with Ducky.  We have been given no run date on when more might be made.  I know it they do it won't be for months. :(  There could be a nice shiny light at the end of this otherwise depressing tunnel, so don't get too down.

I have no idea why the Brown Rapid has been OOS for a while.  I'm checking on that now.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 14:57:00 »
Gah, it just so happens that 4 of my top pick keyboards are all out of stock (and not just at your store). 

That's too bad about the Duckies--didn't realize it could take that long :( 

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #195 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 18:15:50 »
Gah, it just so happens that 4 of my top pick keyboards are all out of stock (and not just at your store). 

That's too bad about the Duckies--didn't realize it could take that long :( 

Still feeling the effects of the Cherry switch shortage.  New players in the switch industry are starting to pick up pace because of this.  Matias is among the front runners.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 20:55:58 »
Any more Races coming in soon?
my friend is looking for one with mx blacks and blue or green LEDs

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 22:23:48 »
OK, what about orings?

I think WASD is too ex and have heard of orings going for a fraction of the price at industrial supply places if you know how to order. But the Amazon listings just disorient me - so many things at low prices but I don't know which o-rings are the right ones.

I'm sure most of us have multiple keyboards and can easily take 200-500 in one bag. I certainly could. Prefer blue or red rings since these are harder to find
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline take

• 87U / G500
    • front & follow
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 15:21:41 »
-deleted-
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 June 2013, 16:14:50 by take »

REΛLFORCE 87U 55g  ||  Logitech G500

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #199 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 00:33:04 »

Alternatively, same with Yellow LEDs (SKU: DK9087S2-BUSALY) or plain without LEDs--both with MX Brown switches.

Thank you!!!

All Ducky Shines that we don't currently have in stock are completely out with Ducky.  We have been given no run date on when more might be made.  I know it they do it won't be for months. :( There could be a nice shiny light at the end of this otherwise depressing tunnel, so don't get too down.

Just want to ask if you wouldn't mind extrapolating on the bolded sentence: is it a hint at something?  I know the PBT full-sized Duckies are coming, and they will (all?) have some purple LEDs, but 1) full size, and 2) not fully backlit!  I'm dreaming of a purple TKL Shine with Browns =/. Or even Clears.