Author Topic: PBT keysets, spacebar disclaimer?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline typo

PBT keysets, spacebar disclaimer?
« on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 20:55:22 »
When you order a high end pick and choose PBT set I would assume the space bar is usually ABS. It never states this though. Wouldn't that be false advertising then? Since there are in fact PBT space bars even though they will likely shrink. Which is why high end sets probably don't include them to begin with. I just figured it should be standard practice to state that the space bar is ABS but it rarely if ever does. Thoughts on this?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: PBT keysets, spacebar disclaimer?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 21:18:46 »
When you order a high end pick and choose PBT set I would assume the space bar is usually ABS. It never states this though. Wouldn't that be false advertising then? Since there are in fact PBT space bars even though they will likely shrink. Which is why high end sets probably don't include them to begin with. I just figured it should be standard practice to state that the space bar is ABS but it rarely if ever does. Thoughts on this?

I would argue that it's best to not assume the spacebar is ABS when you are purchasing a PBT set. "High-end" or otherwise.

If it were ABS, the listings would state this, but they don't. So you would have to assume the entire set comes in PBT material.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 22:03:48 »

I would argue that it's best to not assume the spacebar is ABS when you are purchasing a PBT set. "High-end" or otherwise.

If it were ABS, the listings would state this, but they don't. So you would have to assume the entire set comes in PBT material.

++
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 02:35:23 »
Okay. I did not know this. I thought they would put a ABS bar in a $250 set because PBT could shrink? I honestly have no clue. I guess that is in fact why they do not say it. If it were ABS then they would say so! I suppose technology has increased to the point where they no longer shrink half size in a year anyways. so if it is no longer an issue it does not even matter. I really had no idea about either. That is why I asked. Thank you

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 09:53:03 »
Why would they shrink over time ??
High end PBT sets such as KAT or MDA have full PBT spacebars that are perfectly straight out of the box. And wont change size over time.. (??! why do i have to mention that !!)

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 19:15:39 »
Oh, I thought shrinkage was always an issue. My bad then. I think I just got a very good one though. I don't see any mention of manufacturer. It just says Made in Japan. It is very thick. It was $59 just for the space bar but it completed my theme.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 20:04:18 »
I think there were some challenges with PBT Spacebars awhile back..but there have been a ton that have been released.

Same with Doubleshot PBT...it used to not exist..then a few people figured out how to do it..now you can find it easily.  Even some really good stock sets with it right now.

Sorry to hear you paid so much for your spacebar....

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 20:55:52 »
I could be wrong... I think the only sets that are, primarily, PBT that have ABS Spacebars are the hhkb sets.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 23:21:40 »
That's the only one I know about....but there was still an issue with warped spacebars back then...it doesn't seem to be an issue any longer though..or less of one anyways...

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 20:16:43 »
Warped space bars are still a thing for cheaper sets. You can straighten them easily using a cloth soaked in hot water and a flat weight. And then they'll stay that way, they will not shrink over time...