Author Topic: [IC] Project Elvira — aluminum 65% w/ custom layout, keycap and case profiles.  (Read 3158 times)

Offline vinamirev

Google IC Form: https://forms.gle/qVsavpyjRxL32W8w7

Renders: https://imgur.com/a/pNNgpNa

Additional keycaps: https://imgur.com/a/PkbINuU
Gasket mount version: https://imgur.com/a/CguMBke

This is an early interest check for a keyboard project I’ve been working on for a while. Specs will be finalized based on the received feedback.

Custom layout (I call it Compact 68 — 68C)

Elvira is a 65% keyboard with a shrunk spacebar (5.5u) to fit bigger, and easier to hit, standard size modifier keys. I like 66% layouts and tried to make one as compact as 65%.

The layout has arrows (I find coding without them hard) and larger modifier keys. Left Ctrl is 1.5u and the right is 1.0u to make the spacebar symmetrical relative to the “C” and “M” keys, and to make the keyboard overall look more balanced.

Custom screw-in stabilizers as smooth as Cherry’s with 5.5u spacebar will be included in the kit.

Custom keycap profile

Elvira’s keycaps feature a custom profile. They are cylindrical and are of uniform height between rows. Height is between Cherry's row 3 and row 4. While I was using laptops and spherical keycaps, I have constantly found keycap profiles with a uniform height more pleasant to type, but I missed the feel and the aesthetics of cylindrical keycap tops, so I decided to combine these features into a distinctive keycap profile.

All keycaps are double-shot PBT (including spacebar). Sub-legends are printed.

As many people flip their spacebar (me included) because it is more ergonomic, the spacebar keycap is angled itself, therefore there is no interfering with a case as may happen when you are flipping it manually.

As for design, it features Apple-style centered legends, modern font (*phew* not Helvetica), and large legends. The number of sub-legends is kept to only the most descriptive, so they do not clutter the board. Sound control sub-legends are located on symbol keys, which are less prone to movement when rearranging keycaps for other layouts.

Kit includes an extensive pack of additional keycaps (first and second row except Ctrl on renders):

— “F” and “J” keys without dots for using non-Qwerty layouts (Dvorak, Colemak, Workman, etc).

— Linux logo as Win Key replacement.

— Mac-version keycaps (Enter → Return, Backspace → Delete, Ctrl → Control, Win → Option, Alt → Cmd, Del → ⌦).

Keycaps for extra (third row on renders):

— Compatibility set (to make Elvira’s keycap set compatible with standard layouts): 1.25u Ctrl, 2.75u Right Shift, 6.25u PBT Spacebar.

— (Being considered) Spacebar in Signature Plastics’ colors to provide the ability to use standard size keysets with Elvira.

Case profile

The case has a high-profile design and is not angled (0°) while maintaining the smallest height possible. This prevents unnecessary additional strain on the wrists. For those who can’t touch type and want to more freely see the legends, the keyboard can be raised by using non-slippery rubberized feet (feet construction is under consideration).

Other features:

— Black anodized aluminum case & plate.

— Hot-swap.

— QMK+VIA.

— Centered Type-C.

— Case and PCB foams are included.

— Tray mount (will support o-ring mount mod).

Features being considered:

— Gasket mount version.

— Wireless, will be around +$20

— Led Support.

— PCB’s compatibility with 65% cases.

Targeting $190 for barebones w/ keycaps. The gasket mount version would be around $250.

The prices are meant to be a general idea of how much will the keyboard cost to more accurately gauge interest levels.

Any feedback, propositions, or questions are welcomed.

Offline nFaiz

glwic!
consider removing the tofu option

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
I'm kinda down for wireless, but that 5.5u is very cursed

Offline vinamirev

More 5.5u boards to the masses! The important question is —how many people are going to be consent with sticking to either the standard set (I promise it won't disappoint) or ordering an additional spacebar for their keycap set.